Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do older boxing fans act like they know more? There is a thing call videos

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do older boxing fans act like they know more? There is a thing call videos

I never really got why some boxing fans act like they know more because they 'started watching boxing in the 80's' so they saw Hagler-Leonard 'live' on TV..
    The newer and younger fans can just watch videos and actually see it in better definition/understanding.....

For instance.... I started watching Lennox Lewis in 2000 when I was just a little kid......... yet the moment I became a fan.. I watched his entire career via video. From his debut fight all the way up until 2000.. I have it on film and I studied his career.

I probably know more about Lewis's fighting style and his strengths/weaknesses than fans who 'watched Lewis-Ruddock live....

You are a ignorant fan if you don't watch older fighters and comment on them.. that's what make you ignorant. You are not ignorant for being born later........

Max Kellerman have a very rich history of boxing knowledge... because he watched countless films of older fights.

Man read most of the posts here on this forum and you will see why some(maybe sometimes the wrong ones)get such harse reactions.people claim to be fans of the sport but all you hear are negative,dumb and down right disrespectful comments. You rarely read any educated well thoughtout knowledgeable posts about boxing here. And words like coward and bum is thrown around like darts in a bar.Makes me wonder how many people here even sit and not just watch boxing,but actually study's it,analyzes a fight

Comment

Originally posted by Verstyle View Post
      Man read most of the posts here on this forum and you will see why some(maybe sometimes the wrong ones)get such harse reactions.people claim to be fans of the sport but all you hear are negative,dumb and down right disrespectful comments. You rarely read any educated well thoughtout knowledgeable posts about boxing here. And words like coward and bum is thrown around like darts in a bar.Makes me wonder how many people here even sit and not just watch boxing,but actually study's it,analyzes a fight
      Most people are biased thats why Vers plus the fact if theyve never laced up and competed ad I dont mean just sparring but actually competed then there are so many aspects of the game they cant and wont be able to appreciate. Thats why those choices of words are thrown around so callously. Now im not saying you have to compete because there are very studious people who are incredibly knowledgeable students of the game but when you do/have competed there is so much more you can appreciate.

Comment

RadioBox,

As you grow older you gain more knowledge, wisdom & experience.

Not every time, obviously, but you generally do.

I still act the twat on occasions but I'm ten times (maybe ten million times) smarter than I was twenty years ago in my early twenties.

We may be watching the same video as you but we're watching it with more experienced eyes.

And when you're older you'll understand. If you don't - then you've not actually lived.

Unfortunately the older & weaker we physically get, the wiser & more reasoned we become.

Don't fight it, look forward to it.

Much respect.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
          RadioBox,

As you grow older you gain more knowledge, wisdom & experience.

Not every time, obviously, but you generally do.

I still act the twat on occasions but I'm ten times (maybe ten million times) smarter than I was twenty years ago in my early twenties.

We may be watching the same video as you but we're watching it with more experienced eyes.

And when you're older you'll understand. If you don't - then you've not actually lived.

Unfortunately the older & weaker we physically get, the wiser & more reasoned we become.

Don't fight it, look forward to it.

Much respect.
          Taansend I have an actusl akc american staffordshire terrie who I love to death but damn I always wanted a bull terrier. Everytime you post I get the googling bull terrier breeders bug. Or even a bull terrier rescue club.

Edit: sorry for the thread hijack TS

Comment

Because many of us younger guys get into the sport because of a single boxer, cheer for him, and imagine he's nigh impregnable. We act like he can do no wrong. The older guys know better.

They've seen their heroes: Ali, Leonard, Jones, ect. get dethroned. They've seen their favorite boxers make mistakes, blatantly duck, and all sorts of things that we younger guys seem to always deny.

When Pacquiao got knocked out, none of the younger guys could have probably believed it. The older guys have seen better fighters fall time and time before - they know how the sport works, they have less room for surprises. Us younger guys talk about how Mayweather didn't duck this or duck that, like our hero can do no wrong. The older guys saw what Leonard did to Hagler - there's no hiding that Leonard picked his fights. They've seen this ****, and it's nothing new.

That's why I respect people who've seen some ****, because they've been up and down the roller coaster of this sport. They've experienced feelings of anger, disappointment, and shock that we may not have yet. Watching a replay of Gatti-Ward, knowing that it's going to be a war, is nothing like watching it live - seeing it develop in front of you.

You gotta respect your boxing elders, well, until they show they obviously don't know what they're talking about; of course.

Comment

Originally posted by SeivUrBref View Post
              Taansend I have an actusl akc american staffordshire terrie who I love to death but damn I always wanted a bull terrier. Everytime you post I get the googling bull terrier breeders bug. Or even a bull terrier rescue club.

Edit: sorry for the thread hijack TS
              My parents were heavily involved in the bull terrier club in the UK years ago.

That is NOT my dog(s) but she looks just like my childhood buddy.

Comment

There are plenty of things youtube will not tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
                  Because many of us younger guys get into the sport because of a single boxer, cheer for him, and imagine he's nigh impregnable. We act like he can do no wrong. The older guys know better.

They've seen their heroes: Ali, Leonard, Jones, ect. get dethroned. They've seen their favorite boxers make mistakes, blatantly duck, and all sorts of things that we younger guys seem to always deny.

When Pacquiao got knocked out, none of the younger guys could have probably believed it. The older guys have seen better fighters fall time and time before - they know how the sport works, they have less room for surprises. Us younger guys talk about how Mayweather didn't duck this or duck that, like our hero can do no wrong. The older guys saw what Leonard did to Hagler - there's no hiding that Leonard picked his fights. They've seen this ****, and it's nothing new.

That's why I respect people who've seen some ****, because they've been up and down the roller coaster of this sport. They've experienced feelings of anger, disappointment, and shock that we may not have yet. Watching a replay of Gatti-Ward, knowing that it's going to be a war, is nothing like watching it live - seeing it develop in front of you.

You gotta respect your boxing elders, well, until they show they obviously don't know what they're talking about; of course.
                  And this is a brilliant post.

I've been watching boxing since the early 70's but my Nan (Grandmother) would tell me stories about bareknuckle fighters back in the old days (turn of the 1900's as told to her).

I also used to go to watch fights at least once a month. How many posters on here can say they've seen even TEN live boxing bills, let alone 100+ (or more in many cases).

Another thing is that up til 1980 (in the UK at least) most working class/blue collar kids boxed by age 11. It wasn't for 'tough' kids. It was just another sport you did.

So we talk about boxing from experience of watching fights & also being failed fighters.

I'll NEVER call a boxer a 'ducker' or 'coward' because I know how much courage it takes just to fight a kid from across the city. Or street.

Comment

You can learn a lot from watching footage and reading articles etc. A whole lot, especially how great a fighter is etc.

But you just can't get the vibe of the fans and the certain emotions that unfolded at certain times etc without being there.

That doesn't make the older person more knowledgable. They just have a more informed opinion on certain things from certain era's.

Comment

Working...
                    X