No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather: This is One of My Best Camps So Far

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather: This is One of My Best Camps So Far

Floyd Mayweather Jr. hasn’t had fights as close together as his May 4 victory over Robert Guerrero and his Sept. 14 showdown with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez since 2001.

Boxing’s pound-for-pound king has fought just five times in the past 5˝ years as well. But even at 36, Mayweather isn’t at all concerned about facing an unbeaten, 23-year-old junior middleweight just four months and 10 days after dominating Guerrero at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. [Click Here To Read More]

Well it should be.

Comment

This is comforting to hear. I expected as much but I'm glad to hear him say it. As he gets older, he knows what works and what doesn't work.

Comment

Yeah, good to hear no doubt. I really think PBF is gonna make this a very one-sided affair. Canelo looks bad in his open workout. His footwork shadow boxing and around the bag was slow and he seemed to run out of steam towards the end. He's gonna gas after round 8 and Mayweather is gonna potshot his eye closed.

Comment

funny it is true that he will be sharper than ever before. thats hard to imagine. the only drawback to being more active is he will also be more injury prone. it would be something if he lost a fight cuz he suffered an injury like andre berto. it happened against castillo and he left that fight with many feeling he lost.

Comment

Floyd or Roger have been saying this for the past decade. Nothing new here. When has he ever taken training camp lightly?

Comment

This is great to hear, and is expected. I'm glad that, at the age of 36, Mayweather is choosing to fight much more frequently. He seems to have a strong ambition to end his career on a positive note, and he wants to cement his legacy. He's mentioned it several times recently, but he wants to give the fans the best fights out there, and exciting fights.

I think he's proved that he's going in that direction starting with the fight against Cotto. Many people thought Mayweather "lost a step" or was "losing his legs" because he got hit a lot, and wasn't using his typical elite footwork.. But in all reality, he chose to stand toe to toe and fight Cotto (for the fans). At least that's the way he put it, and I tend to believe him because he could've easily danced around a peppered Cotto at will.

The Ghost fight was the complete opposite, however. He returned to his footwork, speed, in-and-out, straight right and dodge, self. It was a beautiful boxing display, and a masterpiece of defense.. Unfortunately, some people now are saying he ran that whole fight. I think he dominated, and really could've knocked Robert out. Wish he would have.

So now we have the Canelo fight.. The biggest fight of Mayweather's career. The biggest fight of Canelo's career. Mayweather coming off a lackluster (to average fan's point of view) performance agianst The Ghost. I fully expect grade-A Mayweather for this blockbuster. I expect him to throw bombs with precision like his fight against Gatti. I know that's a bold statement, and i'm not trying to knock Canelo at all, but I just think we're really going to see the best Mayweather we've seen in 10 years, even though that defies the logic of age.

Comment

What if he injures his hands?

Comment

Originally posted by IronMike86 View Post
                  This is great to hear, and is expected. I'm glad that, at the age of 36, Mayweather is choosing to fight much more frequently. He seems to have a strong ambition to end his career on a positive note, and he wants to cement his legacy. He's mentioned it several times recently, but he wants to give the fans the best fights out there, and exciting fights.

I think he's proved that he's going in that direction starting with the fight against Cotto. Many people thought Mayweather "lost a step" or was "losing his legs" because he got hit a lot, and wasn't using his typical elite footwork.. But in all reality, he chose to stand toe to toe and fight Cotto (for the fans). At least that's the way he put it, and I tend to believe him because he could've easily danced around a peppered Cotto at will.

The Ghost fight was the complete opposite, however. He returned to his footwork, speed, in-and-out, straight right and dodge, self. It was a beautiful boxing display, and a masterpiece of defense.. Unfortunately, some people now are saying he ran that whole fight. I think he dominated, and really could've knocked Robert out. Wish he would have.

So now we have the Canelo fight.. The biggest fight of Mayweather's career. The biggest fight of Canelo's career. Mayweather coming off a lackluster (to average fan's point of view) performance agianst The Ghost. I fully expect grade-A Mayweather for this blockbuster. I expect him to throw bombs with precision like his fight against Gatti. I know that's a bold statement, and i'm not trying to knock Canelo at all, but I just think we're really going to see the best Mayweather we've seen in 10 years, even though that defies the logic of age.
                  I'll agree for the most part.. but to say that it was Mayweather deciding to stand and trade with Cotto is a push... I've always been a fan of Cotto's footwork and head movement.. He knew how to cut the ring off get on the inside and therefore Mayweather was forced into a barn burner, luckily Cotto gassed.. Canelo has not shown me anywhere near the hand speed, footwork, or head movement Cotto possesses so I think Canelo gasses chasing Mayweather around.. Money in a wide UD.. 8-3-1..

Now to the real show.. Mathysse ko's little danny boy!

Comment

I agree with this 100%, your casual boxing fan(twitter, and/or fb person) these are the only people who feel that fmj last outing was horrible. To me if you don't understand the true form of boxing, and the art that it is when it's being displayed like he does and/or can do then just don't comment on it. I can't sit here and say don't watch boxing, but just leave the ratings and comments to TRUE fans..

But that would be in a perfect world right..lol

Comment

Working...
                    X