Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Kim: "I consider Ward a bona-fide ticket seller"

Parade of Random Thoughts

22-Jun-10 02:43

On Monday in Los Angeles, a parade was held in honor of the Lakers who captured their 16th world title last week by defeating the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. Otherwise it was a rather uneventful way to start the week, but I did have a few things on my mind...

- Antonio Tarver a heavyweight? Puh-leeze, playing ’Mason Dixon’ in ’Rocky Balboa’ should be about the only time he ever steps into the ring as a heavyweight. I mean, not only is he a bit, ’light in the ass’ in football parlance( meaning too small and frail) but he’s a faded fighter. If you can’t be all the competitive with Chad Dawson at 175-pounds, you’re not going to do all that well against the likes of the Klitschko’s.

- The difference between Andre Ward and Allan Green is very simple. One guy is a world-class fighter and the other is an ESPN2-level fighter. There’s no other way to put it.

- I think based on how his last three fights have gone in Oak-town, I consider Ward a bona-fide ticket seller, which is great, the game needs another dozen of them. But it’s interesting, like Paul Williams, he is promoted by Dan Goossen, but unlike ’the Punisher’, Goossen is actually allowed to do some real promoting and doesn’t have Al Heymon to contend with. Both Ward and Williams are African-American boxers, who are highly skilled but one has been allowed to cultivate a home market.

- Speaking of which, tickets have gone on sale for the August 14th battle between WBC light heavyweight titlist, Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson. Being that this fight is being held in one of the best boxing markets in all of North America( and the world for that matter), this bout will do well.

kim is just hugging media balls because it's his livelyhood...he knows better than to speak his mind about hbo's baby.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteous View Post
        kim is just hugging media balls because it's his livelyhood...he knows better than to speak his mind about hbo's baby.

That whopping 8.5k attendance. Yeah baby.

He can hug his way to 20k any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
          That whopping 8.5k attendance. Yeah baby.

He can hug his way to 20k any day now.
          Kim's friend, the co owner of their site, has more hbo time than kim. It doesn't make sense to you for Kim to asskiss whoever hbo has in the light?

seems logical to me, especially since we all know that ward is anything but a ticket seller. I like Ward, but facts are facts, he's not a Khan and it's not just his style but his personality and persona...he just seems dull to people, but I mean he's one of the best fighters in the world.

Comment

How is Ward not a ticket seller? I know they papered the crowd for his last fight but he has drawn good sized crowds in the past against fighters that are only known to boxing fans.

Who else can draw like him in America? Maybe a handful of people.

You want to talk no draws you gotta look at Berto, Williams and Dirrel.

Also, Kim constantly criticizes HBO.

So much hate from so called fans, go jump on another bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
              How is Ward not a ticket seller? I know they papered the crowd for his last fight but he has drawn good sized crowds in the past against fighters that are only known to boxing fans.

Who else can draw like him in America? Maybe a handful of people.

You want to talk no draws you gotta look at Berto, Williams and Dirrel.

Also, Kim constantly criticizes HBO.

So much hate from so called fans, go jump on another bandwagon.
              He's a decent to good draw so far. Potentially he will get better, but as far as charisma goes, he doesn't have much. He doesn't have the Cassius Clay, Mike Tyson, late George Foreman, Ray Leonard, Jack Dempsey, Evander Holyfield, De La Hoya style qualities to him.

Comment

He seems like a well spoken person, besides that, who cares? Spinks can draw a crowd a good crowd in St Louis and nobody even likes the guy.

He is a much bigger draw already then all the past and present American participants in the Super Six.

Comment

But it’s interesting, like Paul Williams, he is promoted by Dan Goossen, but unlike ’the Punisher’, Goossen is actually allowed to do some real promoting and doesn’t have Al Heymon to contend with. Both Ward and Williams are African-American boxers, who are highly skilled but one has been allowed to cultivate a home market.

I wonder if Burner has an opinion on this particular comment.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
                    But it’s interesting, like Paul Williams, he is promoted by Dan Goossen, but unlike ’the Punisher’, Goossen is actually allowed to do some real promoting and doesn’t have Al Heymon to contend with. Both Ward and Williams are African-American boxers, who are highly skilled but one has been allowed to cultivate a home market.

I wonder if Burner has an opinion on this particular comment.
                    Haymon is a big reason why Paul is on HBO. He has big ties with Greenburg and HBO. I think Goosen tried to make Paul a country wide attraction and it didnt pan out as planned.

Since 2006 he has fought in Cali, Vegas, Conn, and New Jersey. But mostly California. He started out fighting down south and it shouldve stayed that way. But had he not been in Cali he would've never sparred Margarito which lead to his title shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X