No announcement yet.

Here is the problem that I have with Compubox or Punch Stats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is the problem that I have with Compubox or Punch Stats

Let's say that Pacman dominates the first 4 rounds of a fight and landing approximately 200 more punches than his opponent (Bradley for instance). That's 200 more landed punches in Pac's favor in just 4 rounds, right? Now, if for the remainder of the fight Bradley out punches Pacquiao by 10 punches a round Pacquio still appears that he has landed the most punches, which is true. However, you score rounds not punches landed. So fans going with the notion that because Pacquio landed more punches he should be an automatic winner are ignorant at best. Not that compubox is any accurate cause I remember they had Pacman landing more punches than JMM and that is obviously incorrect.

So what's the point of judges scoring rounds, knockdowns, point deductions and all that nonsense. Just leave it to compubox at the end and whoever landed more punches gets the victory.

Compubox is also very inaccurate and subjective you have one person counting punches thrown by one fighter. In the amateurs, 2 of the 3 judges have to hit a button when there is a scoring blow and they have to do that within a second in order for this blow to be counted. Compubox is a joke.

Nobody's saying compubox automatically determines the winner

It's just an indicater of how the fight broke down. This is a sport after all. How else are we gonna keep stats if not punches landed?

Every other sport has stats. Yards made, Rebounds captured, batting average. They don't tell you who wins the game either.
    Last edited by DARKSEID; 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

That's a lot of writing for something so simple. It's inaccurate & more often than not the average fan can find many absurd errors with it.

Comment

Exactly. Fights are scored round by round, not total. If a guy outlands 300-0 one round, and gets outlanded 1-0 the next 11, it still means he lost the fight even though he landed way more punches

Comment

Not to mention punches landed is only 1/4 of the judging criteria...

Comment

Exactly, fights are scored on a round by round basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
              Nobody's saying compubox automatically determines the winner

It's just an indicater of how the fight broke down. This is a sport after all. How else are we gonna keep stats if not punches landed?

Every other sport has stats. Yards made, Rebounds captured, batting average. They don't tell you who wins the game either.
              Yeah, those stats are pretty obvious like rebounds, batting average, etc. Landed punches are pretty much administered by a nerd with a notepad who nobody knows who is, who might get paid to provide nonfactual info as evidences by some ridiculous punch stats in the past. The stats should be administered by the judges just like in the Olympic where 2 of the 3 judges have to hit a button within a second of a landed punch. That will keep them awake too and make them judge fights better. They should actually be selected on this criteria, being able to spot a landed punch and hitting the button in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
                Exactly, fights are scored on a round by round basis.
                True but the casual fans and Skip Bayless, people who go with the popular fighter and popular opinion will use these stats to justify their agenda. Compubox should be eliminated or used only by the judges scoring the fight the way amateur judges use them.

Comment

I agree, its score round by round.

I remember in the Pac-JMM, 2, some in here are basing that JMM won cause he landed more punches. But remember that in the round that Pac has a cut, he didn't do that much while JMM took advantage of that. That made JMM landing more in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by loui_ludwig View Post
                    I agree, its score round by round.

I remember in the Pac-JMM, 2, some in here are basing that JMM won cause he landed more punches. But remember that in the round that Pac has a cut, he didn't do that much while JMM took advantage of that. That made JMM landing more in the fight.
                    I thought Pacman edged that fight by a point and you're right Marquez landed a lot of punches in one or two rounds. I thought they were the 6th and 7th rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X