No announcement yet.

Shadow boxing with dumbbell / resistance band

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow boxing with dumbbell / resistance band

Hi all, i am a beginner in boxing, I found that some boxers perform shadow boxing may use a pair of light weight dumbbell (eg 1-2 pounds) or a boxing resistance band, wt is the different? Which one is much better for trainning, thanks : )

No more than one pound and never fully extend the arms.
    Keep your elbows down and learn to use your shoulders and back.
    The added weight can help you realize your shoulder & backs effectiveness.
    Once in a while they can be included in short road work sessions. Agin never extending the arms.
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Deslam724 View Post
      Hi all, i am a beginner in boxing, I found that some boxers perform shadow boxing may use a pair of light weight dumbbell (eg 1-2 pounds) or a boxing resistance band, wt is the different? Which one is much better for trainning, thanks : )
      It depends how strong you are start with light ones then work your way up as long as you stay in form,no reason not to try and work your way up as it will make wearing the actual boxing gloves seem much easier to throw faster punches ...you can extend your arms but be careful not to jerk awkwardly this helps build shoulder strength ,i myself use 8/9 pounders and it definitatly helps with speed when wearing 16 oz gloves my suggestion when you get accustomed to it start with the heaviest weight you can for a couple hundred punches then keep dropping down a pound or two .....the resistance bands are useful for developing power and strengthening the tendons ,do both .
      Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-15-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah they can be very good at increasing hand speed. Shoulder endurance helps me throw a lot more too! The max I use is 1.5kg and I do it slowly focusing on form. Like Ray said never fully extend the arms as this can stress the joints. Don't do what some guys do and try and go nuts and throw fast punches. Start slowly using good punch form and you'll find that you'll naturally be able to punch with the Dumbbells faster. At the end of some sessions I'll shadowbox with the weights for 2 rounds then shadow box normally for another two. Believe me it makes a big difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
          Yeah they can be very good at increasing hand speed. Shoulder endurance helps me throw a lot more too! The max I use is 1.5kg and I do it slowly focusing on form. Like Ray said never fully extend the arms as this can stress the joints. Don't do what some guys do and try and go nuts and throw fast punches. Start slowly using good punch form and you'll find that you'll naturally be able to punch with the Dumbbells faster. At the end of some sessions I'll shadowbox with the weights for 2 rounds then shadow box normally for another two. Believe me it makes a big difference!
          1.5kg translates in to over 3lbs (53 ounces), that's way too much.

Get 1lb dumbbells to begin, and you can finish your shots with this kinda weight, the sparring gloves weigh the exact same.

Move up to 1.5lbs when 1lb becomes nothing.

2lbs and you'll start tearing up your shoulder with the hooks.

I threw full shots with 1lb weights when shadowboxing with no problems weighing about 155lbs. If your a Heavyweight the weights could be slightly higher.

Comment

difference:
            resistance band : helps with speed/endurance (horizontal resistance)
            dumbells : helps with shoulder endurance. (vertical resistance)
            which one is better? both useful in their own ways.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              difference:
              resistance band : helps with speed/endurance (horizontal resistance)
              dumbells : helps with shoulder endurance. (vertical resistance)
              which one is better? both useful in their own ways.
              resistance builds tendon strength increasing power.

Comment

Hi all, many thanks for the view and suggestion, I am now about 150 pounds, I guess I will start with 1 pound dumbbell and then 2 pound for max : )

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                  resistance builds tendon strength increasing power.
                  uhmmmm........ ok.
                  ??

Comment

Hi all, many thanks for the view and suggestion, I am now about 150 pounds, I guess I will start with 1 pound dumbbell and then 2 pound for max : )
                    2lbs is too much, you're going to injure your shoulders using them.

Comment

Working...
                    X