No announcement yet.

Fight Simulation & Footwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight Simulation & Footwork

Can anyone explain how to do the Spider Web drill that Sergio Martinez does as an alternative to sparring? The drill I'm talking about can be found at 9:20 in "Chavez Jr. vs. Martinez: 24/7 - Full Episode #2" (if you google whats in the quotation marks you will be able to find a youtube link to it. I can't post it cause I don't have enough posts).

Or does anyone know of any other drills that let you simulate a fight outside of just regular shadowboxing?

And quite importantly can anyone recommend any footwork drills other then shadow boxing and the mimic drill?

Thank you guys!

Have you ever questioned what makes Floyd so successful aside from his natural talent? Whenever his training is documented there's never any footage of him experimenting with innovative training methods like plyometrics, circuit training, or even crossfit. His training is rooted in the traditional boxing methods that have been refined through years of practice. To sum it all up, why fix what isn't broken?

Comment

Jumping rope and shadowboxing, stick to the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by mainstream180 View Post
        Can anyone explain how to do the Spider Web drill that Sergio Martinez does as an alternative to sparring? The drill I'm talking about can be found at 9:20 in "Chavez Jr. vs. Martinez: 24/7 - Full Episode #2" (if you google whats in the quotation marks you will be able to find a youtube link to it. I can't post it cause I don't have enough posts).

Or does anyone know of any other drills that let you simulate a fight outside of just regular shadowboxing?

And quite importantly can anyone recommend any footwork drills other then shadow boxing and the mimic drill?

Thank you guys!
        I'm assuming you're trying to SUPPLEMENT sparring and shadowboxing...because there is no alternative to sparring and shadowboxing.

After you know the basics (step left/right, step front/back, pivot etc.), I really can't think of a better footwork drill than shadowboxing. You practice footwork and you can visualize fighting. I think the best supplement to actual sparring, is shadow sparring, which is just like sparring except you're not making hard contact. You're only touching your opponent.

You only have so many hours in the day and only so much energy. Training should be meant to maximize results. So spend the most time doing the most effective training methods and drills. As you develop your style, nothing wrong with developing more creative drills to practice specific moves or replicate a particular fight situation to drill something to the point where it's instinctive. But if you're asking about footwork, then you're probably not hear yet...

Comment

Working...
        X