Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you want to make perfect, asian-style takeout rice everytime. . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you want to make perfect, asian-style takeout rice everytime. . .

THen get yourself a rice cooker. I just got a 30 dollar "aromatic" cooker, and it has made the most perfect rice ever: Sweet, aromatic, fluffy, and perfectly "sticky." Before I could make OK rice, but it never tasted as good as the chinese takeout rice. It was either too watery, or mushy, or too crispy, and dry. Now my rice is even better than takeout.

I can't vouch for all rice cookers, but most of the reviews on amazon for various rice cookers are good. I can recommend the Aromatic cooker, though.

It's so simple too. Just put the amount of rice, and water in, close the lid, and press the "white rice" button, and it cooks it perfectly. There's a setting for brown rice too.

NOTE: A CRUCIAL step most people often forget, is to "wash" the rice off at least once. I always do it twice to get all the excess starch off. Sometimes I'll do it thrice - just judge by the clarity of the water; the first rinse, the water will be as white as the rice. By the second/third rinse, there's barely any coloration to the water. It'll never be perfectly clear, though.

I've made a variation of styles of rice with it as well: Jasmine rice, basamati rice, and brown rice, and they all turned out perfectly.

There's also a steamer section so you can steam your veggies while rice cooks.

Comment

what does aromatic rice mean?

add some pandan leaves , if you like aroma in your steamed rice.

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/he...andan%20Leaves

Comment

Originally posted by rottentothecore View Post

Aside from that, I also use lemon grass to make a lemon juice.

Comment

"chinese food rice" is the only rice i eat. I got alot of asian friends who like to have BBQs and all bring their own rice cookers with their strain of rice

Comment

Originally posted by rottentothecore View Post

It's just a way I describe the rice when it's prefectly cooked. . The texture, etc. . . The way the steam hits your nose when u uncover it - you know it's perfectly cooked.

That sounds like a good idea, though. Might have to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              "chinese food rice" is the only rice i eat. I got alot of asian friends who like to have BBQs and all bring their own rice cookers with their strain of rice
              Do you have a rice cooker yourself mate?

It's by far the best kitchen appliance I've ever bought. . .

I go to the asian market and bought a big-ass sack of rice - 30 pound bag (lol, looks like a dog food bag) - for like 10 bucks. My grocery bill has been ridiculously cheap because I can eat so much rice now. Fried rice with leftovers, rice pudding (I just like to eat a bowl of rice with a little milk - like you would cereal for breakfast. Add a little sugar. Excellent.) Such a cheap, versatile staple.

ANother thing - if there's an asian market in your area, I suggest checking it out. You can get some really good stuff there, for excellent prices. I love to make curries, and I LOVE NAAN BREAD. I found a brand of naan there (frozen) for 2 bucks for 10 pieces. Heat it up in the oven for 10 minutes, and it tastes EXACTLY like Indian takeout.

Comment

oh youre referring to the rices natural aroma, yep they have that..
                the pandan leaves takes you to a different level though..
                even with regular rice it'll improve the smell gastronomically.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                  Do you have a rice cooker yourself mate?

It's by far the best kitchen appliance I've ever bought. . .

I go to the asian market and bought a big-ass sack of rice - 30 pound bag (lol, looks like a dog food bag) - for like 10 bucks. My grocery bill has been ridiculously cheap because I can eat so much rice now. Fried rice with leftovers, rice pudding (I just like to eat a bowl of rice with a little milk - like you would cereal for breakfast. Add a little sugar. Excellent.) Such a cheap, versatile staple.

ANother thing - if there's an asian market in your area, I suggest checking it out. You can get some really good stuff there, for excellent prices. I love to make curries, and I LOVE NAAN BREAD. I found a brand of naan there (frozen) for 2 bucks for 10 pieces. Heat it up in the oven for 10 minutes, and it tastes EXACTLY like Indian takeout.
                  Nahhh i dont really eat much rice, ima meat and potatoes kinda guy

Comment

Working...
                  X