No announcement yet.

Chris Byrd, where's the love?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elgin View Post
    Seems like a nice guy but could be dreadful viewing. He did take part in some decent fights though but only if he was pushed into it.

This is a myth. Byrd wasn't a runner/slapper like Paulie Malignaggi; he fought right in the pocket with much larger opponents and happily engaged them, because his defense was primarily based on upper body movement.

The only genuinely dreadful fight he was involved in during that time was with Fres Oquendo, who was just about the most appalling fighter to watch in the history of this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
      This is a myth. Byrd wasn't a runner/slapper like Paulie Malignaggi; he fought right in the pocket with much larger opponents and happily engaged them, because his defense was primarily based on upper body movement.

The only genuinely dreadful fight he was involved in during that time was with Fres Oquendo, who was just about the most appalling fighter to watch in the history of this sport.
      not true. watch byrd-williamson if you dare. seriously don't though.

Comment

I don't really get this thread. I like Chris Byrd plenty but he is far from relevant in the sport anymore so what does TS want us to do? Create I love Chris Byrd threads? I don't get it....?

Comment

I use to be a fan of chris byrd when he was champ about ten years ago... At the time everybody hated him due to his style,,

I met him at the god awful rahman-barrett ppv, i was sitting about 10th row... Had met brewster, and judah and both were cool...
          Then Byrd walked by and me and my cousin got excited and started saying his name, and literally the dude walked right past, didnt smile, nod, nothing,,, And we were his fans, I got so mad that i shouted "That's why you got no fans" Then and only then did he turn and smile at us.... True story.... Summer of 05 Chi-town United Center

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
            I don't really get this thread. I like Chris Byrd plenty but he is far from relevant in the sport anymore so what does TS want us to do? Create I love Chris Byrd threads? I don't get it....?
            This is a forum, we are constantly talking about fighters in the past, especially heavyweights and I know he wasn't one of the greats but Byrd was one of the top 10 heavyweights of the Lewis era with terrific upper body movement.

I actually didn't find him boring, he wasn't a runner like Dirrel, he was more like Pernell Whitaker in that he would stay in the pocket, avoid shots and pop off his own counters.

Comment

I understand why most people think he was boring, but I actually enjoy his style. It didn't help him that Larry Merchant totally hated him. At HBO they always sling mud at defensive fighters.

Comment

Working...
              X