Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with Wale Omotoso (Jesse Vargas' opponent tonight)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omatoso makes me an instant fan at last wed press conference! I think he'll win tonight!

Comment

He's a solid fighter, I don't think he'll stop Vargas but he'll make it a rough night. Might unofficially win the fight.

Comment

I've bet Vargas tonight. I've watched some tape of Wale. Strong, durable fighter. Serious power. But careless and slow. Unimpressive in fights where he was supposed to impress. I think Vargas is gonna win a boring, clear decision.

Lots of jabbing. Lots of clinching.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          I've seen him before, he is a big puncher but unrefined. Check out his opposition's records on boxrec too. You will find that his own record is rather deceiving as he fought most of them when they were in "bad" times of their careers.

This is the guy that he fought two fights ago (Daniel Sostre)
          2012-11-17 146 Phil Lo Greco loss, TKO, 7
          2012-09-15 145 Wale Omotoso loss, UD
          2012-05-24 142½ Danny O'Connor loss, RTD
          2011-10-21 138 Gabriel Bracero loss, UD
          2011-07-15 141¼ Raymond Serrano loss, UD
          2011-04-08 145¼ Damian Frias Draw

The guy he fought before that (Larry Smith)
          13 losses in his last 15 fights, Omotoso fought him on fight number 12 of the losing streak

The guy he fought before that was (Nestor Rosas)
          He has lost his last 3 fights, 2 by KO and Omotoso was his last loss.

There is a Documentary about his career: The Fighter's Factory
          He apparently came from a very rough life and was in a street gang at one time.

Interesting vid..I don't know,I've never been to big on Vargas tbh..But if he can beat this dude in a clear victory..I'd be impressed..

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
            I've seen him before, he is a big puncher but unrefined. Check out his opposition's records on boxrec too. You will find that his own record is rather deceiving as he fought most of them when they were in "bad" times of their careers.

This is the guy that he fought two fights ago (Daniel Sostre)
            2012-11-17 146 Phil Lo Greco loss, TKO, 7
            2012-09-15 145 Wale Omotoso loss, UD
            2012-05-24 142½ Danny O'Connor loss, RTD
            2011-10-21 138 Gabriel Bracero loss, UD
            2011-07-15 141¼ Raymond Serrano loss, UD
            2011-04-08 145¼ Damian Frias Draw

The guy he fought before that (Larry Smith)
            13 losses in his last 15 fights, Omotoso fought him on fight number 12 of the losing streak

The guy he fought before that was (Nestor Rosas)
            He has lost his last 3 fights, 2 by KO and Omotoso was his last loss.

There is a Documentary about his career: The Fighter's Factory
            He apparently came from a very rough life and was in a street gang at one time.

Man... You always got to root for a guy that came from such extreme poverty like that. I'm rooting for him tonight even though I think Jesse will win.
            And can't believe he killed a guy.... you think that'd effect the way you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
              I've watched some tape of Wale.
              is any of that readily available online? i remembered seeing the Augustus fight (being that i went out of my way to catch Augustus fights), but i can't pull up anything else.

thanks for the opinions, guys. more response than i expected. keep thoughts coming if you have 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                And can't believe he killed a guy.... you think that'd effect the way you fight.
                During a sparring session nonetheless, it's unusual. It must be a horrible thing to go through but if you decide to step in the ring again, you better not hold back and worry about your opponent's health or this could happen to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is...
                  I've bet Vargas tonight. I've watched some tape of Wale. Strong, durable fighter. Serious power. But careless and slow. Unimpressive in fights where he was supposed to impress. I think Vargas is gonna win a boring, clear decision.

Here's the thing tho, when has Vargas impressed? At least you said Omotoso has serious power. What about Vargas jumps at you? Fighters like Vargas usually can't deal with fighters like Omotoso (from what I've read).

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW!
                    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnm is...

Here's the thing tho, when has Vargas impressed? At least you said Omotoso has serious power. What about Vargas jumps at you? Fighters like Vargas usually can't deal with fighters like Omotoso (from what I've read).

Not trying to say your pick was wrong or anything cause I picked Vargas too. Just throwing stuff out there for the sake of debating.

Comment

Originally posted by 1PunchKOPOW! View Post

IMo, Vargas impresses in spots of the fight, not the whole fight. I remember when he fought Lopez, Lopez was coming back in the later rounds because he was pressuring him and outhrowing him while he was just chilling with his guard up

Comment

Working...
                      X