Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clottey planned on Pac slowing down, and it didn't happen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glock View Post
    after a few rounds , i thought pac would slow down.

he didn't though.

thinking pac would slow down is a sound theory but he should have realized it wasn't gonna happen halfway through the fight and he should have changed his gameplan. or at least tried to change.

you have to dare to be great. clottey just wouldn't dare.
    Clottey had only one gameplan and that was survival. He didn't want to fight. If he knew anything about Manny it would be that he has incredible stamina, the chances of him slowing down by Clottey doing nothing is ludicrous. I don't buy it for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dollars View Post
      Clottey had only one gameplan and that was survival. He didn't want to fight. If he knew anything about Manny it would be that he has incredible stamina, the chances of him slowing down by Clottey doing nothing is ludicrous. I don't buy it for a moment.
      even people who have great stamina slows down.

Comment

even people who have great stamina slows down.
        Pac slowing down is like Usain Bolt slowing down to win a race.

Hes still faster and more active then you are.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
          Pac rarely slowed down. In his first fight with Barrera....he fought as hard in the 11th as he did in the 1st.
          he slows down.

not all the time but sometimes.

he won't slow down if you just let him tee off though.

Comment

Joshua Clottey has been a pro since 1995 and he still doesnt know how to "slow" down a fighter.

You dont wait.

You move. Give him angles. CLINCH him when he gets close put your weight on him. Clottey didnt clinch ONCE. Stick a jab in his face. and most importantly WORK THE BODY.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
              Pac slowing down is like Usain Bolt slowing down to win a race.

Hes still faster and more active then you are.
              this is true but sometimes they can slow down enough where you can be competitive.

everyone comes into a pacquiao fight with a dumb gameplan (a lot of it is because of pacquiao too)

after delahoya , everyone said oscar should just have gone for broke and rushed him since he was too fast.

hatton did that and got smoked.

after hatton , everyone said you shouldn't rush pacquiao so cotto tried to be more cautious but got beat up in exchanges so people said cotto should have been less aggressive.

clottey took less aggressive to a whole new level.

Comment

this is true but sometimes they can slow down enough where you can be competitive.

everyone comes into a pacquiao fight with a dumb gameplan (a lot of it is because of pacquiao too)

after delahoya , everyone said oscar should just have gone for broke and rushed him since he was too fast.

hatton did that and got smoked.

after hatton , everyone said you shouldn't rush pacquiao so cotto tried to be more cautious but got beat up in exchanges so people said cotto should have been less aggressive.

clottey took less aggressive to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
                  Dean its one thing to have a bad night. Its another to do absolutely nothing but stand and cover up man. That was not the gameplan DeJesus told him to fight back. Clottey refused. Thats not the heart of champion. Manny, Steward and Kellerman all said that.
                  Yes Clottey looked terrible in every round except the 3rd where he was competitive. He did not show the heart of a champion and that is what separates the champions from the rest. It does not make him a bum though.

He simply came in to it over his head and his defensive instincts took over. It has happened to scores of fighters in the past and will continue to happen as long as this sport remains alive.

I do see your point Burner and a part of me agrees with much of what you say. My point is that it is not all black and white and sometimes the mind can override the heart. I will say I wish he could have better represented himself in there. He is a very prideful guy and failed. I personally feel bad for him because we all know he could have made it a more competitive fight. He just failed.

Comment

Clottey is a disgrace, without his headbutting he's nothing but a stiff with arms who covers for 12 rounds and hopes to land a counter here and there just to get your attention. I knew he fought like this but after seing that pathetic excuse of display in such a big event with so much at stake just shows he does not belong in this sport, he's a ****ing bum, please nobody mention his name again amongst the top 10 Welters, he's a disgrace to all.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                      I have no respect for this mindset.
                      Originally posted by Chups View Post
                      Forgive him.....he's trying hard to be a boxing fan.
                      "He had no courage" Lenny De Jesus

Written by Rey Colon, Special Envoy Sunday March 14,

TEXAS - More than defeated, the Puerto Rican coach Lenny De Jesus face reflected frustration that Joshua Clottey did not meet the agreed plans to face Manny Pacquiao, he strictly got imited to remain upright for 12 rounds and so to show up Freddie Roach.

He had no balls, in spanish, No te tuvo los cojones, De jesus said. The training that was given was terrific but changed when Pacquiao began to throw lots of punches. He was honest with me and said 'Lenny I didnt wanted to give Roach the satisfaction of Pacquiao stopping me in the fight. I wanted to last the 12 rounds. "That's what he told me later in the clubhouse. I would have liked to have taken this fight to Wilfredo Gómezto teach Clottey how a real man fight. Gomez was a real man," revealed the Ponceño trainer.

Between rounds, De Jesus was trying to convince Clottey to be more aggressive but the African refused to follow those instructions and has apparently opted to make his own game plan.

"I told him he had to throw more punches, be creative and open up a bit to throw his own. But you saw, got stuck. No shot. He lost all the rounds. He wanted to last the 12 rounds. I could not put to fight for it. And he did not heed what he explained. He knew and I said it, did not want to open the guard. He threw two or three right uppercuts and not let go. The left stagnant, "he said.

The 160 pounds that Clottey weighted in the fight did not affect him or his performance.

"No, that was no factor. This weight is perfect. Maybe he got into his mind or which was to last twelve rounds to not give the satisfaction to Roach. I wasnt with that mentality. He didnt want to take the chance because most WW's have big power. The little man won, the big one didnt do what was expected.

My case, rested.

Comment

Working...
                      X