Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
    OK? and
    You said "Here is a crazy Lloyd Marshall body shot KO at 1:55."

But the video you posted is only 1:12 long.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      You said "Here is a crazy Lloyd Marshall body shot KO at 1:55."

But the video you posted is only 1:12 long.
      Excuse the numbers. I hope you can deduce.

Comment

Why is Robinson even in the thread title? We all know he was scared of Papa Burley and Uncle Archie
        You got anything on this, be interested to hear. Especially if have an original source to Robinson apparent "'I'm too pretty" comment or anything beyond a reference to an offer of a match-up.

Cheers

Comment

wasn't the Burley fight off cos Burley had retired by then?

And wasn't Moore at LHW by now and Robinson's only run at LHW came against Maxim, after which he retired and then returned at 160 for good?

Surely, not even the sweetest fighter of them all could actually have fought every single legitimate name in boxing. There's only so far a boxers body could take him and for the great one, it was 160 pounds of muscle.

Comment

Why is Robinson even in the thread title? We all know he was scared of Papa Burley and Uncle Archie
            I have heard about Srr dodging burley,, but never Archie.. Can you give some details, like when a fight would happen, what weight, etc..

Comment

I'm no expert on the circumstances, but i don't buy SRR being "afraid" to fight Burley. SRR was an animal, he fought dozens of great fighters, of all styles, shapes, weights etc. And he knocked most of them the fck out. I can't envision him being scared to fight anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                I'm no expert on the circumstances, but i don't buy SRR being "afraid" to fight Burley. SRR was an animal, he fought dozens of great fighters, of all styles, shapes, weights etc. And he knocked most of them the fck out. I can't envision him being scared to fight anyone.
                Yeah, I think it was more the management team and promoters,, Srr was a ticket seller, especially vs another ethnic base like Lamotta, fullmer, etc..
                At the time, in that era, they probably thought burley had a legit chance of beating Srr, but it wouldn't be a huge blockbuster since it was black vs black..

Comment

say what?...

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Yeah, I think it was more the management team and promoters,, Srr was a ticket seller, especially vs another ethnic base like Lamotta, fullmer, etc..
                    At the time, in that era, they probably thought burley had a legit chance of beating Srr, but it wouldn't be a huge blockbuster since it was black vs black..
                    Yeah thats it, and the black crowds werent the ones with the money back then im guessing (not from america)

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      I have heard about Srr dodging burley,, but never Archie.. Can you give some details, like when a fight would happen, what weight, etc..
                      1959 the fight was a serious consideration.

Moore had not defended his Light Heavyweight crown apart from the Durelle contest, against opposition of much class. He was as young as 42 or as old as 49, depends on which report you read. We all know how the fight with Durelle went. Despite lower class he fought in 1958, Moore still walked away with the Boxing Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year award.

Robinson, 38, had last fought in the 1958 Fight of the Year when he once again claimed the Middleweight crown, this time against Carmen Basilio. He was barely active at the time of the talks, he was engaged in singing appearances on television and spoke with statements like "If I fight again..."

Both were at their peak of their popularity, both had just fought in hugely exciting contests that had caught the imagination of the general public, not just fight fans.

The IBC wanted Robinson-Basilio III, Robinson wanted the money. Moore said immediately after Durelle fight that he would give Durelle a rematch or fight Robinson.

It was rumoured for Yankee Stadium in the summer, with guess work saying it could do as well as Robinson-Turpin II, the then current record for a non-Heavyweight title fight.

Both fighters had good bargaining power, Robinson had the possibility of the third Basilio fight, Moore the Durelle rematch.

Ultimately the two could never agree, maybe Robinson lost interest or over negotiated on his part, similar reasons it seems for Robinson-Basilio III never coming off.

Comment

Working...
                      X