Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Battle of Two Nations" in Manila

US sports promoter offers $2M purse to Pacquiao

By ISAGANI L. PALMA, The Manila Times Correspondent

GENERAL SANTOS CITY - An American sports promoter reportedly is willing to offer a guaranteed $2-million (P104 million) purse for Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao to topbill a program featuring seven local fighters against Mexicans in Manila.

"It’s really a night to remember for all time when seven of the top Filipino boxers in the world come together to fight seven top contenders from Mexico for a national and worldwide pride," said American lawyer Andres Stein of the Stein Global Sports Entertainment.

Stein’s proposal was handcarried by his Filipino representatives, Fred and Yolly Tuadles, to Pacquiao and his handlers here on Sunday, when the boxer was staging a cockfight derby.

In the proposed agreement, Stein assured Pacquiao of a $2-million payoff from the boxing match dubbed "The Battle of Two Nations" and scheduled in either July or August.

"We believe with a world class opponent, Manny can expect a payday of $2 million, unlike his two previous much-publicized fights where he took home a total of less than $500,000 only," Stein said.

A criminal lawyer, Stein said the Filipino boxers in his proposed promotion, including Pacquiao, could have their lawyers review the contracts of the card before they sign up.

"Money available to the fighters will all be driven by the main event and the pay-per-view [numbers]," the lawyer’s proposal said.

Stein also vowed to bring the officials of the American cable TV giant Home Box Office and their crew to cover the fight in the Philippines at an estimated cost of $1 million. This includes the crew’s plane tickets and hotel accommodations.

But the proposal did not state just how Stein intended to raise the money for the purse and promotion of what should be a multimillion-peso production.

-----

No other fighters on each team were mentioned except Pac, but its interesting to see who is going to win this match if ever it happens. The promoter prolly wants to ride on Pac's popularity in PI and make some money.
    Last edited by JaNnO; 02-17-2006, 07:44 PM.

who are the undercards? which ones do you want match ups i mean

Comment

my filipino fighters:
      pac
      boomboom
      gorres
      suico
      tunacao
      villoria

bring on the mexicans

Comment

Originally posted by JaNnO
        US sports promoter offers $2M purse to Pacquiao

By ISAGANI L. PALMA, The Manila Times Correspondent

GENERAL SANTOS CITY - An American sports promoter reportedly is willing to offer a guaranteed $2-million (P104 million) purse for Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao to topbill a program featuring seven local fighters against Mexicans in Manila.

"It’s really a night to remember for all time when seven of the top Filipino boxers in the world come together to fight seven top contenders from Mexico for a national and worldwide pride," said American lawyer Andres Stein of the Stein Global Sports Entertainment.

Stein’s proposal was handcarried by his Filipino representatives, Fred and Yolly Tuadles, to Pacquiao and his handlers here on Sunday, when the boxer was staging a cockfight derby.

In the proposed agreement, Stein assured Pacquiao of a $2-million payoff from the boxing match dubbed "The Battle of Two Nations" and scheduled in either July or August.

"We believe with a world class opponent, Manny can expect a payday of $2 million, unlike his two previous much-publicized fights where he took home a total of less than $500,000 only," Stein said.

A criminal lawyer, Stein said the Filipino boxers in his proposed promotion, including Pacquiao, could have their lawyers review the contracts of the card before they sign up.

"Money available to the fighters will all be driven by the main event and the pay-per-view [numbers]," the lawyer’s proposal said.

Stein also vowed to bring the officials of the American cable TV giant Home Box Office and their crew to cover the fight in the Philippines at an estimated cost of $1 million. This includes the crew’s plane tickets and hotel accommodations.

But the proposal did not state just how Stein intended to raise the money for the purse and promotion of what should be a multimillion-peso production.

-----

No other fighters on each team were mentioned except Pac, but its interesting to see who is going to win this match if ever it happens. The promoter prolly wants to ride on Pac's popularity in PI and make some money.
        obviously riding on pac's name right now... look, he even mentioned ppv sales for the fights... nobody is going to watch this...

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
          my filipino fighters:
          pac
          boomboom
          gorres
          suico
          tunacao
          villoria

bring on the mexicans
          Add to the list Mayol, Jaca, Amonsot, Condes...

Comment

So basically what they want to do is set up a bunch of Philipino fighters with lower quality Mexican opponents. Sounds...great.

Pac's next opponent has no chance in hell of winning. not much of a "battle".

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
              my filipino fighters:
              pac
              boomboom
              gorres
              suico
              tunacao
              villoria

bring on the mexicans

i gues everybody wants a piece of us right? damn we that hot?

Comment

lol it sounds total BS. First of all it costs quite alot $$$ to organise this type of tourney. He will need atleast 6M USD to get HBO,Pay all the fighters,All accomodation for fighters + promation etc. and i dont know where hes gonna get that sort of money. and even if this type of tourney were to happen next month, he'd have to sign all the fighters and i doubt they would all agree on a same date. and even if they somehow managed to sign all the fighters, it'd be a one man show. the only big name they will have will be manny pacquaio and he will be fighting some tomato can from mexico who will get KO'ed in two rounds lol... and there might be couple of young and upcoming fighters from philpines too and they will also be fighting some tomato cans from mexico........ tbh it all sounds total BS, this is just one man's fantasy to make some quick buck by using pacquiao's name.

if some big-name promoter like Bob arum/shelly finkel/or DK was talking about this type of tourney then mayb i woulda taken him seriously but this wannabe promoter sounds total BS. and tbh i dont even think that manny would agree to fight in this type of "festival tourney", manny is a ppv draw in the US now and his last purse was 2m USD + percentage of PPV sales so i doubt that manny will fight for money and i think his current promoter(gary shaw/shely finkel) will also not allow him to fight under some other promoter.

Regards

Comment

is someone gonna answer my 2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh
                    is someone gonna answer my 2 ?
                    lol... because mEXICO is all about boxing, no more no less, so why ask??? you don't have to do anything anyways so might as well be beat up by other people so you can be of some use

Comment

Working...
                    X