No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bantamweight Tourney: Upset Season Gives Way to Parity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bantamweight Tourney: Upset Season Gives Way to Parity

By Jake Donovan - It’s already been a crazy month for upsets, which of course makes for great storylines in a sport whose survival is dependent upon finding new ways to reinvent the wheel.

Shocking results have been posted on every conceivable level in the past couple of weeks – HBO, Showtime, ESPN2, Telefutura and the most recently on the other side of the world when 39-year old Muhammad Rachman because a two-time strawweight titlist after upsetting Kwanthai Sithmorseng.

The bad news is that the likelihood of an upset occurring in the final leg of the bantamweight tournament this weekend is not that great. The good news is the reason behind it – every matchup within the tournament is competitive enough on paper to where no outcome is truly surprising.

This much has already been proven in the opening round of the bantamweight foursome late last year.

Joseph King Kong Agbeko hadn’t fought since suffering a loss to Yonnhy Perez on Halloween ’09, but enjoyed a much better go of things in reversing the outcome when they met nearly 14 months later.

Abner Mares’ night against Vic Darchinyan was far more problematic. The 2004 Mexican Olympian survived a near disastrous first four rounds – including a knockdown and point deduction – to rally back and take hard-fought split decision over the former two division champ.

Even if neither fight turned out as expected, the results still weren’t shocking.

There was reason to believe that Perez – the only titlist in the tournament at the time – would be able to duplicate what he did against Agbeko more than a year prior, even though that very result was considered a bit of a shocker at the time.

It was also plausible that Mares – who came dangerously close to dethroning his close friend Perez earlier last year – would succumb to Darchinyan’s punching power at some point, even if youth and skill level were on the Mexican’s side. [Click Here To Read More]

I believe both Agbeko and Perez will win these fights. Mares is kinda reckless when he moves forward and I see Agbeko picking him apart the same way he did Perez. Perez however will outwork Vic Darch and win a comfortable decision, especially since Vic isn't a true bantamweight and has yet to win a fight against a quality bantamweight. If anyone wants to make some bets on these fights, go ahead and PM me.

Comment

I was hoping we would hear that Donaire was in the tourney by now.

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerFan View Post
        I believe both Agbeko and Perez will win these fights. Mares is kinda reckless when he moves forward and I see Agbeko picking him apart the same way he did Perez. Perez however will outwork Vic Darch and win a comfortable decision, especially since Vic isn't a true bantamweight and has yet to win a fight against a quality bantamweight. If anyone wants to make some bets on these fights, go ahead and PM me.
        See that's the beauty of the fights on tap this weekend. Predictions for it are like snowflakes - no two are alike.

I know one cat who sees the fights going exactly opposite of what you stated.

I myself have Mares and Perez. Others believe Agbeko will outwork Mares and that if Perez' head still isn't on straight that Vic can pick off the remaining carnage. I've even had one friend predict two draws!

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerFan View Post
          This I noticed too. His arms go wide as he goes on the offensive. He's open to counters up the pipe. And straights/uppercuts to the heart.

I like Agbeko to get to the body more than everyone thinks as well and Agbeko's range to be superior.

Agbeko by a **** hair.

Vic D loses and cries again. I have a feeling something crazy like a DQ is going down in that fight.
          Last edited by Walt Liquor; 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM.

Comment

War Mares!

Comment

Agbeko and Perez should win, but expect boxing's ugly face to surface; Agbeko will get ripped off in California (Mares' backyard) by GBP judges and referee. Perez better KO Vic (who is not the better boxer, but a bigger draw).

Comment

mares another MEXICANO winning and giving mexico another major win

Comment

I got Mares/Perez, setting up the rematch. I don't know where Vic is at right now, and I got Mares outworking/outthinking KK.

Should be great, really looking forward to the latter.

WARRR Mares !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X