No announcement yet.

Donaire and Nishioka to fight for The Ring title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaire and Nishioka to fight for The Ring title

RING Ratings Update: Nishioka-Donaire for the championship?
    by Michael Rosenthal
    Aug 7th, 2012
    SHARE THIS STORY

The question popped into my email box almost the minute it was announced: Should the fight between Toshiaki Nishioka and Nonito Donaire on Oct. 13 be for the vacant RING junior featherweight championship?

Nishioka, the polished veteran from Japan, is rated No. 1 among 122-pounders. Donaire, the pound-for-pound star, is the No. 3 junior featherweight. The complicating factor is former Cuban amateur star Guillermo Rigondeaux, who is rated No. 2.

I had my reservations. After all, Rigondeaux (10-0, 8 knockouts) is rated higher than Donaire and has looked sensational in recent fights, including knockouts of Rico Ramos (rated No. 2 at the time) and Teon Kennedy. He is considered a rising star.

Thus, THE RING Editorial board – with input from the Ratings Panel – had to make a strong case for Donaire before designating the Oct. 13 clash a championship fight. And it did.

In no particular order:

Donaire has fought only twice as a full-fledged 122-pounder but his two victories – over Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. and Jeffrey Mathebula – carry a great deal of weight, probably more than the Cuban’s victories over Ramos and Kennedy.

Donaire holds two of the four major junior featherweight belts, those of the IBF and WBO. Rigondeaux is the WBA titleholder.

Donaire is rated No. 4 pound for pound, which gives him added credibility. Rigondeaux is not in the pound-for-pound Top 10.

Donaire, a four-time major titleholder in three weight divisions, has a sterling track record in lower divisions – certainly better than Rigondeaux’s professional resume. Past accomplishments have always been a consideration in rating fighters.
    These are impressive credentials, making Donaire a worthy enough No. 3 contender to fight for the championship under a new RING policy that allows No. 1 or No. 2 to fight Nos. 3, 4 or 5 if the Editorial Board believes it makes sense.

In this case, it does. So this is it: Nishioka, the No. 1 122-pounder in the world, vs. Donaire, No. 4 pound for pound, for THE RING junior featherweight championship.

Then, if all the planets align properly, Rigondeaux – who shares a promoter with Donaire – will fight the winner.

RING RATINGS UPDATE

There are no changes in the ratings this week.

UP NEXT

Rated fighters in action this coming weekend (with current ratings)

Junior featherweight: Hugo Cazares (No. 4 junior bantamweight) vs. Daniel Diaz (Saturday)
    http://ring tv.craveonline.com/blog/174225-ring-ratings-update-nishioka-donaire-for-the-championship

Now I think this is some bs. The Ring is once again bending their own rules or making rules as they go along. Now before you go on saying some non sense that Im just mad cause it ain't Rigo it's not cause I don't think Rigo deserves to fight for The Ring title just yet. But if The Ring was gonna make this move the least they could've done was move Donaire up to #2 and Rigo down to #3 since they feel Donaire's wins at 122 and 2 titles are better accomplishments than what Rigo has done.

the ring title doesn't automatically make it "lineal"

who gives a fuck anyways, the Ring is a joke already.

Comment

I don't mind 1 vs. 3 for the RING title, but the #3 ranked fighter in each division is as far as I'd go.

If Donaire has wins over Vazquez Jr, Mathebula, and Nishioka, no one else will have as good a resume there right now. So I'm cool with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
        the ring title doesn't automatically make it "lineal"

who gives a fuck anyways, the Ring is a joke already.
        This is how Im starting to feel about these people man. Every time they always change something.
        Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        I don't mind 1 vs. 3 for the RING title, but the #3 ranked fighter in each division is as far as I'd go.
        Idk man. The Khan-Garcia situation was fine with me when they were fighting for The Ring title but this is different. Like I said they could've at least swapped Donaire with Rigo and 'saved some face'. People would PROBABLY question the move but probably not as much since Donaire just beat Mathebula, a bum but still a champion, and now owns 2 belts.

Comment

Donaire has fought only twice as a full-fledged 122-pounder but his two victories – over Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. and Jeffrey Mathebula – carry a great deal of weight, probably more than the Cuban’s victories over Ramos and Kennedy.

Comment

im ehhh about this. not really fair to rigondeaux because he would jump at the chance to fight any of these guys. i thought the ring rankings were to encourage the top guys to fight each other. this seems to encoruage them to duck certain opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post

Still doesn't change the fact that he's ranked below Rigo. If they feel Donaire has better accomplishments why is he still ranked below Rigo but yet fighting for The Ring championship?

Comment

They're not bending their rules, they changed the rules to be more "flexible". Like he said, now even #2 vs #5 will sometimes be for their belt:

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...ionship-policy

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  im ehhh about this. not really fair to rigondeaux because he would jump at the chance to fight any of these guys. i thought the ring rankings were to encourage the top guys to fight each other. this seems to encoruage them to duck certain opponents.
                  That's a good way to look at it, good point. To be quite frank, with 2 belts Donaire should be ranked above Rigo at 122 but he isn't so if he "doesn't deserve" to be above Rigo why does he deserve to fight for the title?

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                    They're not bending their rules, they changed the rules to be more "flexible". Like he said, now even #2 vs #5 will sometimes be for their belt:

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...ionship-policy
                    Yea well, before it was the #1 and #2 guy. Then came the Khan-Garcia situation and then anybody could fight anybody as long as the board feels like they should/could Wtf? What's the point of the ranking then? This title is becoming a joke like the rest.

Btw didn't Cunningham-Hernandez had a situation like this too?

Comment

Working...
                    X