No announcement yet.

Bowe vs Lewis 1993 - What should the split have been

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowe vs Lewis 1993 - What should the split have been

Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis was being negotiated to happen in 1993..Bowe vs Holyfield & Lewis vs Ruddock, with the winners to meet.. Riddick Bowe won the undisputed title from Evander Holyfield a fight where the purse split was 80/20 in Holyfield's favor..Lewis defeated Ruddock in a final eliminator and was looking forward to facing Riddick Bowe.. The negotiations between Bowe's camp and Lewis camp broke down after Lewis demanded a 50/50 purse split, turning down Bowe's offer of a 75/25 split.. The WBC 90 day deadline to make the fight was not met. So Bowe dumped their belt into the garbage can...Vitali & Wladimir Klitschko only defend their championship belts on a 90/10% purse split.

I just watch them fight. The money side really doesn't interest me. Not least because the financing of boxing seems to exist outside of any rational framework of understanding.

You could really give numerous different answers to this question - based on your frame of reference - with all of them sounding reasonable.

Although I will say that in any language a 90/10 percent split seems like racketeering.

Comment

60/40..............

Comment

60/40 or 65/35 would have been a fair split. You can understand Bowe's angle though, he took a meagre split as an undefeated challenger to Holyfield and didn't feel that the situation was any different with Lewis, now that he was champion.

I think Lewis and the WBC gave too much weight to Lewis's Olympic victory 5 years previous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          60/40 or 65/35 would have been a fair split. You can understand Bowe's angle though, he took a meagre split as an undefeated challenger to Holyfield and didn't feel that the situation was any different with Lewis, now that he was champion.

I think Lewis and the WBC gave too much weight to Lewis's Olympic victory 5 years previous.
          Yes i agree Sugarj.. Although i found that Olympic final very bazzaar with the referee warning Bowe no fewer than 15 times in the opening round.. it was very strange!

I am not surprised that this thread has not had one single comment from Lewis fans.. The reason none have commented is because they want to pedal the garbage that Bowe avoided Lewis.. That Bowe dumped the belt because he was afraid of Lewis.. When the truth of the matter is, "Lewis deliberately priced himself out" knowing he would be beaten by that version of Riddick Bowe.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Yes i agree Sugarj.. Although i found that Olympic final very bazzaar with the referee warning Bowe no fewer than 15 times in the opening round.. it was very strange!

I am not surprised that this thread has not had one single comment from Lewis fans.. The reason none have commented is because they want to pedal the garbage that Bowe avoided Lewis.. That Bowe dumped the belt because he was afraid of Lewis.. When the truth of the matter is, "Lewis deliberately priced himself out" knowing he would be beaten by that version of Riddick Bowe.
            Lmao

I'm a lennox fan and I commented... 60/40 or 65/35 as another poster suggested..

Comment

Why did riddick throw it in the garbage can, instead of forcing a purse bid that would have set the percentages and gotten him the most money.. If lennox was scared like you claim, lennox would have backed out of purse bid... But bowe ducked out first and never allowed a purse bid to happen

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Why did riddick throw it in the garbage can, instead of forcing a purse bid that would have set the percentages and gotten him the most money.. If lennox was scared like you claim, lennox would have backed out of purse bid... But bowe ducked out first and never allowed a purse bid to happen
                maybe you should take a look at this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

Comment

maybe you should take a look at this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo
                  Lmao... Not exactly an impartial take on the situation.. WBC would have done a purse bid before stripping Bowe

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Lmao... Not exactly an impartial take on the situation.. WBC would have done a purse bid before stripping Bowe
                    the fight was not open to purse bids,, why should we not believe Bowe?

Comment

Working...
                    X