Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA Discovers New Life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is just another example of basic life in a palce, conditions that our simple minds thought were impossible.

It's there, now what? It's a bacteria.

When you show me something that the human eye can actually see on another planet, then I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      hell yeah

this opens up a number of possibilities

arsenic an element that is poisonous to the human body. so it shows that we can have organisms that thrive in areas we would perish.
      moreover the fact that it was found on Earth is leaps and bounds more exciting then if they found it elsewhere

it was clearly created in another atmosphere in another place other than Earth....yet it found its way here....which means that bacteria can be carried from planet to planet

which further explains how we got here

its ridiculous some of you dont find the significance in this

The bolded was the 1st thing that came to my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by PainKiller View Post
        It is just another example of basic life in a palce, conditions that our simple minds thought were impossible.

It's there, now what? It's a bacteria.

When you show me something that the human eye can actually see on another planet, then I will be happy.
        Why would you be happy about that?

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
          Why would you be happy about that?
          I want one as a pet.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Cheney View Post
            A fallen american hero.

God bless that soul.
            I have been reading through the forum and it's sicking how you follow him around and kiss his every post. Are you him or just that strange.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              Well the first question was "Can we smoke it?"
              Me and gully are just asking the real questions that need to be asked man!

Comment

Of course there is other life in the universe. The universe is infinite, I'm surprised people are surprised by these unsurprising findings.

You people must think you're literally the center of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
                  There might be a one eyed whale out there who feed on Arsenic Only your own fantasy is the restriction of what there might be now. And don't you dare say it isn't so Piggy
                  Only if the whale is invisible and can use a walkie-talkie...

It turns out that this is not quite the groundbreaking announcement I at first thought. It does have implications for biology as in this case the bacteria have used arsenic for the same purposes that they usually use phosphorous but I was mistaken in my initial assessment of it in that it meant a wholly novel evolutionary tree. It's the same tree but a different branch.

Comment

Love how ever major news source is using the sensationalist and inaccurate "arsenic-based life". It isn't arsenic-based, it's still carbon based like everything else, it's just able to replace phosphorus with arsenic in its composition if necessary (unsurprisingly, it's an extremophile). If another "base" is found it will almost certainly be silicon, the most similar element to carbon. Given previous knowledge of the conditions under which extremophiles can survive, the significance is quite overblown - even Rare Earth supporters contend that bacterial life may well be fairly common. On a somewhat unrelated note, it's frightening how many of these supposedly secular scientists are closet sci-fi enthusiasts.
                    Last edited by Miburo; 12-03-2010, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X