No announcement yet.

I think Andre Ward is "that good"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
    He's good but he isn't "that good". Fighters like Froch while being tough and entertaining really aren't amazing wins. JT was schooling Froch until he gassed.
    Inaccurate, he was ahead on points but it was not a schooling. JT beat Hopkins twice, he's a skilled boxer and Froch ktfo'd him in his backyard.

Ward is that good. Who does he have to beat to prove it? Dirrell? Stevenson?
    Last edited by Weebler I; 11-08-2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I think we need to put the brakes on a little here. The guy has only had 26 fights and only one stoppage over an out of weight class Dawson in his title run.

Comment

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
        I think we need to put the brakes on a little here. The guy has only had 26 fights and only one stoppage over an out of weight class Dawson in his title run.
        Yeah let's not evaluate his level of talent at all, let it all be about how many fights he's had.

Comment

He's not a power-puncher, so he isn't going to be stopping fighters regularly

but I ask you, who does he have to beat?

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            Yeah let's not evaluate his level of talent at all, let it all be about how many fights he's had.
            Dont be a dick, I have already spoken highly of his attributes and what he could potentially achieve, but its early doors in his career and before I start hailing him as an all time great I want to see more good wins, longevity and hopefully some excitement along the way.

The guy has 6 title fights, 3 against not great opposition(Green,Bika,Dawson). Its not overwhelmingly impressive at this point. His potential is, but not his resume thus far.
            Last edited by junior gong; 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

I would love to see him unify and then move up and do the same. He could definitely achieve that, its there for him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

Smaller guys like Vic and narvaez.

Seriously though... Not many more names near him that are good who he hasnt beat. Going up will help but what's he got there? Pascal? Direll in his? Kessler again? GGG? Dude should have gotten a hold of Bute before Froch did that was his only mistake imo...but even then he got Dawson so it wasnt a waste.

Comment

Dont be a dick, I have already spoken highly of his attributes and what he could potentially achieve, but its early doors in his career and before I start hailing him as an all time great I want to see more good wins, longevity and hopefully some excitement along the way.

The guy has 6 title fights, 3 against not great opposition(Green,Bika,Dawson). Its not overwhelmingly impressive at this point. His potential is, but not his resume thus far.
                  People are saying he has the potential to be a great, nobody is crowning him an all time great yet. The kid shows tremendous promise, he's a heck of an inside fighter, he adapts very well, he can take a decent punch, even when I've seen him hurt bad by an uppercut he still kept his poise and won the fight. Out of every young fighter out there right now he's the most complete IMO. What other good wins are you waiting for?

Comment

I would love to see him unify and then move up and do the same. He could definitely achieve that, its there for him.
                    Unifying means beating Froch and Abraham, he's already ticked those boxes.

Personally, I think that if he's a 168lb fighter then I don't think he should move up.

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                    Smaller guys like Vic and narvaez.

Seriously though... Not many more names near him that are good who he hasnt beat. Going up will help but what's he got there? Pascal? Direll in his? Kessler again? GGG? Dude should have gotten a hold of Bute before Froch did that was his only mistake imo...but even then he got Dawson so it wasnt a waste.
                    Iirc he had a broken hand at that point and Bute wanted Froch, I guess CF looked more beatable to Team Bute.

The Oosthuizen-GGG winner is a good fight, particularly if GGG looks effective there.

Pavlik, GGG, Dirrell and possibly a Kessler rematch are good fights for Ward in 2013. I think he wins them all.

Comment

He's special.

I've said that since the first time I watched him and he's only improved with each fight. He can do everything and adapt to any style put in front of him. Special, special talent.

Comment

Working...
                      X