Collapse
No announcement yet.

who ranks higher ATG James Toney.... Bernard Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Griffin is one of the most underrated fighters of the last 20 years at 175. Not saying he's an all-timer but just underrated and overlooked especially after Roy starched his ass.

I just think that straight right hand that Toney delivered would get to Froch or Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
      I believe Griffin is one of the most underrated fighters of the last 20 years at 175. Not saying he's an all-timer but just underrated and overlooked especially after Roy starched his ass.

I just think that straight right hand that Toney delivered would get to Froch or Ward.
      griffin was good. but ive seen him. andre ward is better. that tells me everything i need to know about that potential fight between ward and toney. it would be a war and im not sure who wins. but toney doesnt just embarrass ward. no way. just like toney doesnt just embarrass hopkins.

Comment

Yeah you're probably right.

Ward is cautious enough and athletic enough to give Toney some probs.

As for Toney-Hopkins at 168... it's a bad-ass fight. 15 rounds throwback war. Hard to call a winner.

Comment

Hopkins legacy is defintely better... Toneys personality, Skills are better IMO.... better pure boxer Toney... Better fighter Hopkins..... if i had 2 select just one to the HOF, Hopkins...

Comment

bhops is more accomplished, so i'd go with him, but toney was a bad ****in man in his prime. i'd probably go with toney in a prime for prime matchup. but as the title asks, who ranks higher in the atg ranks? it's clearly bhops.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
              Yeah you're probably right.

Ward is cautious enough and athletic enough to give Toney some probs.

As for Toney-Hopkins at 168... it's a bad-ass fight. 15 rounds throwback war. Hard to call a winner.
              i think it would have been a great fight. too bad it never happened. its not hopkins fault. he was a middle weight, and by the time he moved up toney had ballooned to epic proportions. i dont understand what it was with toney that he had no interest in keeping in shape. the weirdest thing imo.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestIam View Post
                Hopkins legacy is defintely better... Toneys personality, Skills are better IMO.... better pure boxer Toney... Better fighter Hopkins..... if i had 2 select just one to the HOF, Hopkins...
                i think its reverse. i kno toney is a master defender but ive always considered him more of a boxer-puncher, the most complete one in the era with the exception of roy. hopkins is the better pure boxer tho.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  i think it would have been a great fight. too bad it never happened. its not hopkins fault. he was a middle weight, and by the time he moved up toney had ballooned to epic proportions. i dont understand what it was with toney that he had no interest in keeping in shape. the weirdest thing imo.
                  It seemed like Toney just got burnt out by the hectic schedule he had in the early 90s.

That guy was fighting a **** ton.

Wish more guys would adopt that schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                    i think its reverse. i kno toney is a master defender but ive always considered him more of a boxer-puncher, the most complete one in the era with the exception of roy. hopkins is the better pure boxer tho.

SKill wise I believe Toney has the edge.... Legacy wise Hopkins.... Toney had the same right as Hopkins but a better jab a better defense and a better skill set..... agreed?? Hopkins was like a bully, Toney was like an instructor.... thus a better pure boxer...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatestIam View Post
                      SKill wise I believe Toney has the edge.... Legacy wise Hopkins.... Toney had the same right as Hopkins but a better jab a better defense and a better skill set..... agreed?? Hopkins was like a bully, Toney was like an instructor.... thus a better pure boxer...
                      I think Hopkins in his earlier days... Pre-2000's had a better left hand inside than Toney. Not by alot that's for sure as James could pretty much throw it all.

I just like Bernard's left digging uppercut and hooks as he'd put all his weight on his lead foot while Toney would sometimes use the left from his back foot too much to touch but not hurt his opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X