No announcement yet.

Completely new to boxing/Getting started

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely new to boxing/Getting started

Hey, I just started to get really interested in Boxing and sometime in the summer I want to start boxing too. I figured i should join somewhere that actually knows what they're talking about. Also, I've never really found any other sport that intrigues me before, but i have zero idea where to start as a watcher/beginner boxer, so who should i watch?
    What boxers are the best to watch on youtube, or even now?
    What's the best workout for someone preparing to box?
    Keep in mind i'm new to the forum so I have no idea if this is the right section or not, thanks in advance.

Well theres two parts to your question

Where you should start to actually box.... the best place to start is your local boxing club. Start from the very beginning, learn your punches, technique etc. The coaches there will tell you everything you need to know as a beginner. Theres two halves to boxing - technique and conditioning. You should learn both there.

Where you should start to watch boxing, it's really up to you. Take a look at different weight classes. Some people prefer smaller fighters, some people prefer the bigger ones, some people will watch anything. It doesn't mean them any less of a boxing fan. For Heavyweights, look at the golden era of Ali, Frazier etc. All of which easily found on youtube. If you already know how the bureaucracy works in boxing, you should be able to find the current top boxers pretty easily. Look for the champs at each division, see what they are like, see what styles you like. The sky is the limit as far as material goes. Its really through watching more fights that you find a style of fighter you really are interested in

Comment

If you're looking for dominant champions watch Hagler, Hopkins, Monzon (middleweight) Duran and Pernell Whitaker at lightweight

If you want to see raw talent and great ability watch guys like Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker

Ezzard Charles and Joe Louis are also great shouts.
      Last edited by UrDazed; 02-13-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I'd just start by going to a gym. It can get overwhelming when you are new because everyone swears that how they do something is the end all be all way to do something(Ironically I'm gonna tell you some stuff I would do). My only tip would be remember to shadow box a lot!

Remember that during shadow boxing you are fighting a simulated opponent so be mindful to work on offense as well as defensive and evasive maneuvers. Imagine yourself fighting taller people, shorter people, runners, aggressive fighters, and in close quarters. I find it helps me to watch other people in the gym. Take a look at how they move around and try to simulate what you like as best as you can. If you like how someone hits the bags or how they pivot when they throw a certain punch try to add it to your repertoire. You will eventually gain a style that comes to natural to you.

For now just go to a gym do whatever they tell you, and the rest should come natural. Remember that boxing is an art!

Comment

Originally posted by Luxxe View Post
          Hey, I just started to get really interested in Boxing and sometime in the summer I want to start boxing too. I figured i should join somewhere that actually knows what they're talking about. Also, I've never really found any other sport that intrigues me before, but i have zero idea where to start as a watcher/beginner boxer, so who should i watch?
          What boxers are the best to watch on youtube, or even now?
          What's the best workout for someone preparing to box?
          Keep in mind i'm new to the forum so I have no idea if this is the right section or not, thanks in advance.
          There are some good sites that have huge databases of the best fights, I'll PM you a link to one of the best ones. Check out some of the top fighters (you'll get an idea of who they are from Pound for Pound lists), and have a look at the best fights from the last few years.

Get a sense of how fights are scored as well, and score them yourself as you watch them. That really gets you into looking for the little things that fighters do and is the best way to get a sense of the 'sweet science' of the sport.

In this day and age there's an incredible archive of classic fights on site like YouTube as well. Again you can use 'Fight of the Year' lists to get an idea of what some of the really monumental ones are.

Honestly there's just so much to explore for someone getting into the sport, and once you're hooked that's it. The rabbit hole is deep and there's no going back.

Comment

Don't watch fighters like Alexander
            Watch fighters like Matthysse

Comment

Here is a great vid on Bernard Hopkins executing the jab, the most basic and best punch of all.

Comment

Great vid. Could listen to Hopkins talk tactics all day.

Comment

Same here, he really is a master.

Comment

Awesome man Boxing is a great sport man find a local gym and be dedicated if u get into the sport.

Here are some classics I would recommend

Gatti vs Ward I
                    Hagler vs Hearns
                    Ali vs Frazier
                    Corrales vs Castillo
                    Rios vs Alvarado

Comment

Working...
                    X