Comments Thread For: Arturo Gatti Heads Class of 2013 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Mills Lane!!!!

Comment

Why do people always bring up Sylvester Stallone as an example of why a boxer should be in the HOF? He got in as a non-participant, for writing, just like Budd Schulberg (although Budd did do sports writing too, he's best remembered for writing The Harder They Fall and On the Waterfront, which would make less people want to box than Rocky did).

There are so many fighters better and more deserving than Gatti that fought before him that I'd like to see get in.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Call me grumpy, but I feel that the bar for inshrinement (sp?) should be raised.

Furtermore, as implied by Freedom, this doesn't seem like the INTERNATONAL BHOF as it seems easier for fighters who was regularly on US télévision has an easier path.

Cliff could you weigh in here?
        I agree with you.

It's like we always hear "well if Barry McGuigan is in, why can't so and so???"

Just because there are some questionable cases, it doesn't mean there should be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
          I agree with you.

Just because there are some questionable cases, it doesn't mean there should be more.
          Yeah, but since McGuigan IS in it is hard to suddenly change the criteria. When selections to the IBHOF there will always be critics and rightly so but some boxers in the HOF is surely not worthy and I cannot see a way out. Perhaps an all-new procedure of elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            I wonder why Virgil Hill got in to the HOF and not Dariusz M, who defeated him?
            I wonder why Muhammad Ali was inducted in the the HOF and not Trevor Berbick, who defeated him.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
              I wonder why Muhammad Ali was inducted in the the HOF and not Trevor Berbick, who defeated him.
              Because Ali was obviously shot by the time he fought Berbick, and never fought again.

Hill was in his prime when he fought Dariusz. Virgil had a world title ten years after that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                Because Ali was obviously shot by the time he fought Berbick, and never fought again.

Hill was in his prime when he fought Dariusz. Virgil had a world title ten years after that fight.
                Ali wasn't shot, it was just a ploy to let the next man enjoy the machismo™ of being king.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  Waits for HOF cynics who don't think Gatti belongs in HOF
                  He doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                    I agree with you.

I am not going to argue whether or not McGuigan belongs in the Hall of Fame. However, in fairness to Barry he was the European champ that beat a Ring top ten fighter in Juan Laporte. That win earned him a shot at the long time champion that was still in his prime Eusepio Pedroza. He also happens to be a fellow Hall of Famer that Barry beat easily. Barry then had two successful defenses, one against Ring top ten fighter Bernard Taylor. Barry was also on his way to beating Stevie Cruz until the Vegas heat drained him. If I remember correctly Barry spent a few days in the hospital after the fight for dehydration. Was it for real? Well if you take into account that the hottest it has ever been in Ireland is around 90 degrees and its usually very mild. Then factor in that it was well over 100 degrees in Vegas topped off with the heat of the lights. It can easily be argued that it was the heat that beat Barry McGuigan. Barry's father also died not long after the fight and he was never the same again. And after a long layoff he only fought a handful of meaningless fights.

Comment

I personally loved Gatti but he doesnt deserve to be in it IMO.
                      I would not vote him in based on being a warrior and likable guy.
                      but on the flip side how hallowed and great can the HOF be when you
                      have a ficticious character like Rocky Balboa aka Sylvester Stallone in

Comment

Working...
                      X