Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rigondeaux's win over Donaire one of the most overrated wins of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if Donaire unifies at Featherweight, is it still a bad loss? I know its a hypothetical situation, but its all opinion.

Comment

IMO it is an underrated victory

Comment

Originally posted by Jalisciense909 View Post
        Exactly my point! He was Fighter Of The Year and Top 5 P4P based on beating Narvaez, Vazquez Jr., Mathebula, Nishioka, and Arce, .

My point is that Donaire didn't deserve those statuses, which in turn I don't think Rigo deserves those statuses for beating a fighter that didn't deserve them.

Once again though, that's just my opinion.

Donaire was a beast at the lower weights, but I'm talking about that specific stretch of fights that seemed to get him F.O.T.Y. in 2012 and Top 5 P4P status.
        Beating Montiel got him in top 5

Comment

Great performance. I'm about to watch it again right now.

Comment

I was just checking out the "Roman Gonzalez should be ahead of Rigo P4P" thread and based on what I was reading, I personally think Rigondeaux's win over Donaire is one of the most overrated wins of all-time. And I most definitely agree that Roman Gonzalez should be ahead of Guillermo Rigondeaux on any respectable P4P list.

Gonzalez has 2 current Unified World Champions on his resume in Juan Francisco Estrada and Francisco Rodriguez Jr., and throw in Akira Yaegashi and Katsunari Takayama on top of that.

You're telling me that a resume of Estrada, Rodriguez Jr., Yaegashi, and Takayama is not better than Rigondeaux's win over Donaire?

I mean who did Nonito Donaire beat that made him such a great win for Rigondeaux?

Here's what Nonito Donaire did from October 22nd, 2011 through April 13th, 2013:

1. 10/22/11 - Won UD12 vs. OLD AND TINY Omar Narvaez
            2. 2/4/12 - Won SD12 vs. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (Tiny Jorge Arce's son)
            3. 7/7/12 - Won UD12 vs. Jeffrey Mathebula (Which is the only good win of the bunch IMO, but not great)
            4. 10/13/12 - Won TKO9 vs. OLD Toshiaki Nishioka
            5. 12/15/12 - Won KO3 vs. OLD AND TINY Jorge Arce
            6. 4/13/13 - Loss UD12 vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux

The fact that Nonito Donaire was on most Top 5 P4P lists and won Fighter Of The Year in 2012 based on this stretch of fights is f**king BLASPHEMY.

Donaire was a heavy favorite in every one of those fights.

Meanwhile, here's what Abner Mares was doing from August 13th, 2011 through May 4th, 2013:

1. 8/13/11 - Won MD12 vs. Joseph Agbeko
            2. 12/3/11 - Won UD12 vs. Joseph Agbeko
            3. 4/21/12 - Won UD12 vs. Eric Morel
            4. 11/10/12 - Won UD12 vs. Anselmo Moreno (Top 10 P4P at the time)
            5. 5/4/13 - Won TKO9 vs. Daniel Ponce De Leon

I'm pretty sure Mares was the underdog against Moreno and Ponce De Leon.

I just don't understand why Donaire was such a God, and then for beating Donaire, why Rigondeaux is such a God.
            Dude GTFOH with that BS, Mares beat Moreno at 122, not 118. Does Moreno fight at 122, no, why? Cause he doesn't belong there.

Nonito's destruction of Sydorenko( the guy who Moreno barely, and I mean barely beat twice at the same weigh) is a better win than both Agbeko fights.

You're clearly hyping Mares up, Mares' only chance against a TR FW is the MexRusussian.

Comment

I just don't see how Rigo beats Donaire (Who I feel didn't belong there) and jumps to Top 3 P4P from not being in the Top 10 P4P at all.

Whereas Abner Mares beat a Top 10 P4P fighter in Moreno, and then followed that up with another underdog win over Ponce De Leon and he barely cracked the Top 10 P4P.

Rigo beating Donaire and jumping to Top 3 P4P is like Maidana beating Mayweather and jumping to #1 P4P.

Some people say Rigo being Top 3 P4P has nothing to do with him beating Donaire, they just knew he was the goods.

Well some people thought Gary Russell Jr. was the goods. We should have put him in the Top 5 P4P, right?

Comment

Well, I think they go hand in hand. Donaire was overrated, so in turn that makes Rigo's win overrated.

I just didn't view Donaire as a Top 10 P4P fighter. And then Rigo smashing Donaire (Who I didn't view as a P4P fighter, at least during the stretch of fights I mentioned) and making Top 3 P4P makes me view Rigo's win as very overrated.
                Ok I got you.....it is like maidana win over a fake 3 division champ broner

Comment

I just don't see how Rigo beats Donaire (Who I feel didn't belong there) and jumps to Top 3 P4P from not being in the Top 10 P4P at all.

Whereas Abner Mares beat a Top 10 P4P fighter in Moreno, and then followed that up with another underdog win over Ponce De Leon and he barely cracked the Top 10 P4P.

Rigo beating Donaire and jumping to Top 3 P4P is like Maidana beating Mayweather and jumping to #1 P4P.

Some people say Rigo being Top 3 P4P has nothing to do with him beating Donaire, they just knew he was the goods.

Well some people thought Gary Russell Jr. was the goods. We should have put him in the Top 5 P4P, right?
                  Mares was #5 after Ponce

Comment

Only one person thinks that win was overrated. I think during and after Narvaez v Donaire fight, The Flash wasnt looking very sharp and people were questioning his focus.

The Flash was p4p in my mind at the time if not based on talent alone. Rigondeaux was a huge under dog was talking major pedo as my Mexican partner would say. Everybody more or less was writting Rigo off.

Huge win. Like somebody said that was a signature win of recent memory.

Comment

Why was Donaire not a top P4P fighter but Moreno was?

Comment

Working...
                      X