No announcement yet.

Can't see Hopkins agreeing to fight Sergei Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see Hopkins agreeing to fight Sergei Kovalev

As many of you know, Kovalev has now put himself in position to potentially be the mandatory challenger for Hopkins title.

Am I the only one who cannot envision Hopkins risking his title, and the very real possibility of being thoroughly embarrassed against Kovalev?

Kovalev's words to Bernard Hopkins:

"Come fight me, Bernard. I'm ready. Are you ready?"

Hopkins will fight Stevenson. There's nothing to gain from beating Kovalev which he'd do quite comfortably by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsene Knows View Post
      Hopkins will fight Stevenson. There's nothing to gain from beating Kovalev which he'd do quite comfortably by the way.
      he would get $, which is the real reason he's still fighting today.

Comment

Hopkins is known for fighting mandos, especially during his middleweight reign

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
          For fighting Kovalev? Not really. Stevenson in Canada is where the money is plus the lineal title.

Comment

He might. Hopkins likes to fight plodding fighters who nevertheless have a good name - Cloud, Dawson, Pavlik, and Froch. He avoids non-plodders - Ward, for instance - because they've backfired in the past (i.e. Jones and Calzaghe).

Even though Kovalev is very talented, he is a borderline plodder, but perhaps not enough of a plodder.

Comment

That's a joke. Anything can happen in the sport of boxing, but the most likely outcome is Kovalev knocking Hopkins ass out.

Mark it down.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
                He might. Hopkins likes to fight plodding fighters who nevertheless have a good name - Cloud, Dawson, Pavlik, and Froch. He avoids non-plodders - Ward, for instance - because they've backfired in the past (i.e. Jones and Calzaghe).

Even though Kovalev is very talented, he is a borderline plodder, but perhaps not enough of a plodder.
                I'm assuming this is a reference to the fact that Kovalev is just now making his mark on the sport at the age of 30.

That's irrelevant, in my opinion. Regardless of progression, Kovalev is a dangerous fight for ANY fighter at light heavweight or either division up or down from it.

Hopkins game is simple: he forces his opponent to follow him around the ring while he holds and pot shots. And, while Hopkins is quite skilled at this approach, he's simply not used to the type of pressure and punching volume that Kovalev brings to the table.

It's a terrible match-up for Hopkins, and I think he knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
                  Sure he would get SOME money lol.

For fighting Kovalev? Not really. Stevenson in Canada is where the money is plus the lineal title.
                  This.

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post

Kovalev is not a plodder at all, he's pretty light on his feet.

Comment

Kovalev will be confirmed as Nathan Cleverly's opponent next week. YHIHF

Comment

Working...
                    X