No announcement yet.

Haymon NBC Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
    According to Duva, Haymon is offering NBC around $20 million for around 24 fight dates, with at least four of those dates potentially being slated for prime time on regular NBC and one coming the week after the Super Bowl."

$20 million for 24 fight dates is cheap. It's less than one million dollars per date. Donald Trump, who loves to be on TV, would be on it every week if it's this cheap.
    That's just for the air time, he still needs to pay for the fighter's purses. If fighters expect to get paid like they were on Showtime, that's atleast another $3mill per card. There's no way that he's going to see $4mill in advertising revenue even on prime time NBC for boxing, and even then he's not making any profit for his investors.

The NBC cards are going to be like infomercials to hype up fighters and get you to want to see them on ppv. Problem is he doesn't have any star power to pull that off.

The reason Haymon fighters haven't complained yet is because he has the Showtime safety net to pay everyone big money for low risk, and that's only due to his association with Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
      That's just for the air time, he still needs to pay for the fighter's purses. If fighters expect to get paid like they were on Showtime, that's atleast another $3mill per card. There's no way that he's going to see $4mill in advertising revenue even on prime time NBC for boxing, and even then he's not making any profit for his investors.

The NBC cards are going to be like infomercials to hype up fighters and get you to want to see them on ppv. Problem is he doesn't have any star power to pull that off.

The reason Haymon fighters haven't complained yet is because he has the Showtime safety net to pay everyone big money for low risk, and that's only due to his association with Floyd Mayweather.
      Pretty much hit it on the head.

Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if he's having financial problems putting this together, the $ doesn't add up.

This is the reason Showtime/hbo are the dominant boxing networks in the U.S. They can afford these fight fees because they make so much in subscription fees.

The only reason UFC can pull it off is because they don't pay there fighters nearly what boxers make, hence the class action lawsuit the fighters have against UFC. If that ever ends with UFC having to oay anything similar to what boxers make, UFCs entire business model would be crushed.

And let's also not neglect the fact that hbo is known for top notch boxing, NBC sports is not, There's no guarante fans will tune into NBC sports, even if the fights are good. People don't change that easily.
      Last edited by AddiX; 12-27-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
        Pretty much hit it on the head.

Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if he's having financial problems putting this together, the $ doesn't add up.

This is the reason Showtime/hbo are the dominant boxing networks in the U.S. They can afford these fight fees because they make so much in subscription fees.

The only reason UFC can pull it off is because they don't pay there fighters nearly what boxers make, hence the class action lawsuit the fighters have against UFC. If that ever ends with UFC having to oay anything similar to what boxers make, UFCs entire business model would be crushed.

And let's also not neglect the fact that hbo is known for top notch boxing, NBC sports is not, There's no guarante fans will tune into NBC sports, even if the fights are good. People don't change that easily.
        I am pretty sure the UFC is still in debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Unseen View Post
          I am pretty sure the UFC is still in debt.
          Just being in debt doesn't mean the company is failing...

But from what I've heard, the UFC is poor shape, and it's getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
            Just being in debt doesn't mean the company is failing...

But from what I've heard, the UFC is poor shape, and it's getting worse.
            They took a hard hit in 2014 with their ppv's. Too many injuries to their top fighters and retirements of some big names = no star power.

Another issue is that they show what happens when you constantly match up your best fighters. Guys get beat and lose momentum and fail to become stars. Sad but true.

Comment

Working...
            X