No announcement yet.

How to determine my ideal weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine my ideal weight?

I don't exercise regularly and I'm a bit overweight. I've been thinking about starting to box, just for the exercise. But I am wondering, if I'm a fighter, what would be my ideal weight? Without exercise, I'm currently 149 lbs. I'm 5'7'' with a 68.5 inch reach. Maybe somewhere around Superfeather-Lightwelter?

in the amateurs a good rule of thumb is about 10 lbs less than whatever you walk around and train at, assuming you eat fairly clean and work out 5 days a week or so. with the same day weigh ins you can safely cut weight by tightening up the diet and doing distance runs in addition to the sprints you should be doing for about a month or 5 weeks to safely and comfortably get down to your weight. but in my opinion and i have learned through experience that i prefer to fight at what im comfortable at, not trying to sneak into the smaller weightclasses.

one of the biggest things in my opinion about fighting, is knowing who you are. trust your body, fight at the weight you feel the most comforable at dont try to battle the scales in hopes of getting what you percieve to be an advantage by trying to pick on smaller guys. one aspect of training people dont talk much about is the journey of self discovery, and understanding your body and how to use it to the full advantage. dont buy into the whole "well im this tall and my reach is this so i have to fight at this" mentality. if your 5'7 and feel comfortable fighting at 147 than do it, if your 5'7 and feel more comfortable fighting at 119 then do it.

Comment

Determining your fight weight has nothing to do with how tall you are. What matter is how much overall body fat you have while taking in consideration your stamina, power, speed and overall health once you reached a desired competition weight. For example: let's say you're 6 feet tall and weigh 175 pounds with approximately 20% overall body fat. My ideal competition weight would be around 154 pounds. This would be loosing approximately 12% of the body fat I have or 21 pounds. Keep your hands up at all times!

Comment

Get into great shape then weigh yourself.................thats your best weight! Ray

Comment

take 1/3 of your height, add the total weight of grapefruits that you can carry in your arms (with no bag) and then multiply all of that x2.5. Good luck.

Ray hit it on the target, fight where you are comfortable. train hard, eat sensibly and fight hard.

it sucks losing the fight at the weigh-ins because you drained yourself to make some supposed 'ideal weight' , when in reality everybody's different..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
            How to determine my ideal weight?
            Take a boxer that is your same height and age. And add 0-15 lbs.

For example, Adrian Broner is the same height.

135 pounds + 0 if you're skinny with no muscles.

135 pounds + 15 or more if you're buff

So you should be between 135 to 150 pounds. Or more, if you are buff.

Comment

depends on if you want to cut weight or not. i would estimate 135-140 would probably be your best weight as far as how you feel competing wise.

but you could probably get to 126-130 but how you feel is a different story.

results could probably be very good though as you'd be bigger than some natural sub-130 guys. but again it could be a hard cut.

ex: nonito wrecked flys and bantams but admitted tough cuts to get that low. which likely means he felt like shyt to get that low, although results were great.

Comment

I guess, you'll be needing a trainer to give you focus on some parts of your body and to tell you how much will you lose some weight. It is better if you consult personal trainer and they will give you focus on it and to achieve your best weight.

Comment

Working...
                X