No announcement yet.

Cotto's Lawyer: Rubio's mandatory fight was only valid if Martinez won

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto's Lawyer: Rubio's mandatory fight was only valid if Martinez won

Was shown this article on Deportes. Looks like they're pushing back against rubio... interested on what the wbc will do... and won't be surprised if Rubio is pushed aside... actually expecting it

Here is the google translated version:

SAN JUAN - The Mexican Marco Antonio "El Veneno" Rubio will not be a stumbling block in the plans of the new monarch middleweight World Boxing Council (WBC), Miguel Angel Cotto, who is planning a return to the ring in the month of December.
    Rubio, first ranked WBC agreed this year to clear the way to then champion Sergio 'Maravilla' Martinez so he could face Cotto last June 7 in Madison Square Garden in New York.
    According to Cotto's advisor, the lawyer Gabriel Peñagarícano, the agreement was only between Martinez and Rubio.
    "Before the fight between Cotto and Martinez, Rubio reached a written agreement between the promoter and the promoters of Martinez, but we did not stop that contract," revealed Peñagarícano.
    Rubio demanded in recent days face Cotto since according to him "is a mandatory fight."
    Peñagarícano forward to meet in the coming days with the Chairman of the Board World of Boxing , Mauricio Sulaiman, to clarify the matter that could well jeopardize a possible billionaire crash in December in New York between the Puerto Rican and Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.
    "Prior to the fight, Martinez and Rubio reached an agreement that was not us. We want to know what the status of that and will be a topic to discuss with Sulaiman in the coming days," he added.
    In a recent interview with ESPNDeportes.com Rubio said that a clash between him and Cotto "is not a whim, I won my things in the ring, I won my right to fight the champion and I demand my right, there should be only one champion and should be Cotto or me. "
    Rubio is represented by the company Village Promotions, owned by Reginaldo and Oswaldo Kluche promoters, and current interim middleweight champion WBC.
    The Mexican won the right to face champion owned by defeating last April in Mé xico , Domenico Spada by knockout in the tenth assault.
    http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...-rubio-con-cmb

Ah...so we have Cotto's first official duck at 160 huh? No to Rubio, no to GGG....who's going to be the next 160 pounder not worthy of king Cotto? But Kirkland coming up from 154 will surely be worthy or Bradley from 147? I see the pattern.

Comment

Cotto should give up the belt he not going to fight anybody there, Just fight Canelo at 155

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Ah...so we have Cotto's first official duck at 160 huh? No to Rubio, no to GGG....who's going to be the next 160 pounder not worthy of king Cotto? But Kirkland coming up from 154 will surely be worthy or Bradley from 147? I see the pattern.
        Yo, I'm Tribe... and I'll rep him in every fight... but kind of bogus to fight at MW... even if it's at 154.1

Comment

Haha, owned you pest!! No one wants to see Rubio.

Very happy to read this. Rubio does nothing for Cotto or anyone at the division. He is a gatekeeper, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Saying they're going to have an opponent by August.
            http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...rival-de-cotto

Of the list.... Rubio/Chavez Jr/canelo/Timmy/GGG

Chavez Jr fell apart because of weight
            They don't seem interested in Rubio
            Canelo fight makes no sense in December and Oscar agrees
            Timmy is a maybe... but if it's on regular HBO, dunno if it meets his minimum
            GGG, we already know the deal

So don't know who it could be. Macklin has an "eliminator" coming up

Comment

Could it be glen tapia?

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                Could it be glen tapia?
                Dunno, but I kind of doubt it.

He's a roach kid now too and he seems to have a blood condition that could keep him from fighting.... or w/e happened last weekend

Comment

What's with all this Bradley talk, they're not consideringoving the guy from ww to mw are they? **** just give up the belt

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                    Saying they're going to have an opponent by August.
                    http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...rival-de-cotto

Of the list.... Rubio/Chavez Jr/canelo/Timmy/GGG

Chavez Jr fell apart because of weight
                    They don't seem interested in Rubio
                    Canelo fight makes no sense in December and Oscar agrees
                    Timmy is a maybe... but if it's on regular HBO, dunno if it meets his minimum
                    GGG, we already know the deal

So don't know who it could be. Macklin has an "eliminator" coming up
                    scrolling through boxrec looking for a name that sticks out....other than kirkland i don't see one. and i think canelo/kirkland is already a lock....andy lee??? hopefully not.

Comment

Working...
                    X