Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Burns unification in doubt as Warren ignores counter offer......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Burns unification in doubt as Warren ignores counter offer......

IBF super-featherweight champion Mzonke Fana and WBO champion Ricky Burns’ chances of meeting in a 130lb unification battle were scuppered by Burn’s promoter Frank Warren, according to the South African’s promoter Branco Milenkovic.

Milenkovic has accused Warren of ignoring a doubled counter-offer that would have meant the two fighters could have met in unification fight for both belts, plus the coveted Ring Magazine belt that Burns has spoken on numerous times of his willingness and desire to fight for.

"Frank Warren has been going on about the unification for the past three weeks on every available international website,” Milenkovic told sowetanlive.co.za.

“I got sick and tired of reading about it so I informed his Sports Network that if they are serious about this fight, they should contact me instead of running to the media.

"Two weeks ago Frank made me an embarrassing offer for Fana to fight Burns in Scotland but I countered this by doubling his offer to bring Burns to South Africa.

"Frank never replied. The fight was not only going to be for the IBF and WBO but also for the prestigious Ring Magazine belt.

Fana, 37, has now agreed to a title defence against US-based Dominican Argenis Mendez (18-1) on June 11th, dashing Burns’ hopes of gunning for a second world title on home soil. The South African will be looking to improve his 30-4 record with his first defence of the title in Johannesburg.

Originally posted by vcvc View Post
    IBF super-featherweight champion Mzonke Fana and WBO champion Ricky Burns’ chances of meeting in a 130lb unification battle were scuppered by Burn’s promoter Frank Warren, according to the South African’s promoter Branco Milenkovic.

Milenkovic has accused Warren of ignoring a doubled counter-offer that would have meant the two fighters could have met in unification fight for both belts, plus the coveted Ring Magazine belt that Burns has spoken on numerous times of his willingness and desire to fight for.

"Frank Warren has been going on about the unification for the past three weeks on every available international website,” Milenkovic told sowetanlive.co.za.

“I got sick and tired of reading about it so I informed his Sports Network that if they are serious about this fight, they should contact me instead of running to the media.

"Two weeks ago Frank made me an embarrassing offer for Fana to fight Burns in Scotland but I countered this by doubling his offer to bring Burns to South Africa.

"Frank never replied. The fight was not only going to be for the IBF and WBO but also for the prestigious Ring Magazine belt.

Fana, 37, has now agreed to a title defence against US-based Dominican Argenis Mendez (18-1) on June 11th, dashing Burns’ hopes of gunning for a second world title on home soil. The South African will be looking to improve his 30-4 record with his first defence of the title in Johannesburg.
    Shame, i like Ricky Burns he is a good fighter imo.

Comment

Working...
    X