Mares-Agbeko Tale of the tape and inaccurate prediction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
    Ohhh, I thought it was YOUR writeup and then you titled it inaccurate
    nah, i'm far too busy bumping in and out of nonsense threads to spend my time on her in a worthwhile manner. i have to get SOME work done.

Comment

I don't really think Mares was hurt against Darchinyan, it was more of a flash KD more than anything IMO. He took a lot of Vic's clean left hands well, a combination of Vic not having the same power at 118 and Mares have a solid chin.

Vic is far more awkward than Agbeko and is a southpaw to boot. Agbeko does employ a lot of constant upperbody movement, he's got a this sort of herky-jerky type rhythm to it IMO. Mares will have use his very good body punching to negate it.

I'm still making my mind up on this one, but when Agbeko comes forward he's for more open to be countered as his tends to lunge in a lot. His punches get wider as well. That's something that jumps out at me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
        I don't really think Mares was hurt against Darchinyan, it was more of a flash KD more than anything IMO. He took a lot of Vic's clean left hands well, a combination of Vic not having the same power at 118 and Mares have a solid chin.

Vic is far more awkward than Agbeko and is a southpaw to boot. Agbeko does employ a lot of constant upperbody movement, he's got a this sort of herky-jerky type rhythm to it IMO. Mares will have use his very good body punching to negate it.

I'm still making my mind up on this one, but when Agbeko comes forward he's for more open to be countered as his tends to lunge in a lot. His punches get wider as well. That's something that jumps out at me.
        vic is also far less busy and has no right hand to speak of. plus agbeko's D is light years better than vic d's.

i don't see agbeko having to come forward a lot in this fight, which will work to his advantage if he can avoid having his ribs busted up. he'll probably press or allow himself to be sucked into mares type of fight for a few rounds at least (as is his tendency), but I'm hoping he stays disciplined enough not to.

he doesn't want to fight mares' fight, with the guy with better combos (which used to be better to me in like in his perez fight) and a longer reach like that. if he fights mares fight, he'll be right there for him.

i agree mares wasn't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
          I'm the exact opposite for the same reason- skills. Good fight, a true pick 'um fight to me, I can see either guy winning.

if donaire beats the winner and goes up, do you think it would be a bit ch move of juanma to wait for el ciclone and donaire to battle it out and sit on the sidelines?

golden boy should sign gamboa
          There are some that say JuanMa avoided Caballero, I don't know. I thought JuanMa taking on an old, undersized Rafa was a bit cheesy because I knew the outcome in the end even though I thought Rafa did well while he was in there.

JuanMa needs to fight Gamboa, that's his big money fight because he can't afford for Gamboa to lose against Donaire. Either guy losing would hurt their pockets at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
            vic is also far less busy and has no right hand to speak of. plus agbeko's D is light years better than vic d's.

i don't see agbeko having to come forward a lot in this fight, which will work to his advantage if he can avoid having his ribs busted up. he'll probably press or allow himself to be sucked into mares type of fight for a few rounds at least (as is his tendency), but I'm hoping he stays disciplined enough not to.

he doesn't want to fight mares' fight, with the guy with better combos (which used to be better to me in like in his perez fight) and a longer reach like that. if he fights mares fight, he'll be right there for him.

i agree mares wasn't hurt.
            Vic's right hand is not great by any stretch, but when he uses, as he did in the Mares fight, he's far more effective, even if it's just to paw. By the same token, I do not think Agbeko's left hand is that great either. Better than Vic's though IMO. Also, Vic looked far better in the Mares fight. He's was smarter and his technically better (though I thought both Vic and Agbeko looked sloppy in their fight). Agebko can fight on the inside though, Vic not so much.

The thing is, if Agbeko is having trouble from long range because Mares is using his speed to get off first, then he might have to come forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
              Vic's right hand is not great by any stretch, but when he uses, as he did in the Mares fight, he's far more effective, even if it's just to paw. By the same token, I do not think Agbeko's left hand is that great either. Better than Vic's though IMO. Also, Vic looked far better in the Mares fight. He's was smarter and his technically better (though I thought both Vic and Agbeko looked sloppy in their fight). Agebko can fight on the inside though, Vic not so much.

The thing is, if Agbeko is having trouble from long range because Mares is using his speed to get off first, then he might have to come forward.
              I'm not convinced Mares is that much faster, but he might be. it's hard for me to judge watching their fights.

vic has done his best to become a better boxer, he's just not busy enough and can't get enough respect against the elites at 118.

i thought the scores were too close in vic-agbeko 1. but they STUPID FN CAMERAMAN WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF ME for 1/4 of the fight. Had to rewatch at home.

Comment

Working...
              X