No announcement yet.

Another good win for Saint George

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another good win for Saint George

I've said a few times he's the best British prospect since Hamed and tonight certainly didn't change my opinion.

Granted, his opponent was made for him. But with so few fights under his belt I thought it might be a tricky task taking on someone who - whilst limited in skills - has always been durable, as Carl Froch found out.

I especially like the look of this kid's jab (which he doesn't use enough) and body punching. He really does rip those punches into the midsection with venom.

And with a whole host of British talent descending on SMW, we could see a return to the halcyon days of Benn, Eubank & Watson.

Oh, and £15 sucks.

De Gale needs to man up and fight him, stop hiding behind Wank Warren.

Comment

Needs to keep concentrated and focus on his defense.

Comment

He looked good live.
        Adamu looked like it was the first fight he'd had tho, guy was awful!

Comment

Originally posted by DisposableArts View Post
          De Gale needs to man up and fight him, stop hiding behind Wank Warren.
          george whoops de gale,it wont happen not when warren is in involved

Comment

Originally posted by Ðemise View Post
            Needs to keep concentrated and focus on his defense.
            I doubt he'll ever have a watertight defence - but I'm sure it'll improve under Adam Booth.

Although, keeping your guard low does encourage the other fighter to throw, thus creating opportunities for the counter. Groves is fortunate in having the reflexes to make this a viable attacking strategy (that short right counter he throws is lethal).

Froch does the same thing but gets caught because he isn't as athletically gifted.

I'd still prefer a high guard, tho. Rule #1 in boxing: Give NOTHING away.

Comment

Good performance. I expected a points win, so him stopping somehow who had mixed in very good company was impressive.

It's good that he's with Haye's team, as it means he'll be brought along nicely, rather than wasting time fighting nobodies in his first 20 fights like he might have done with Warren. There's talk of him facing Carl Dilks soon, which I think would be a good fight for him. Smith, Dodson, Quigley and maybe Magee a bit down the line would be a good career path over the next year.

I agree that his D could do with some tightening up. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to be Roy Jones, which doesn't quite work for anyone who isn't Roy.

Comment

adamu looked terrible but was tough . I didnt expect the stoppage so Groves impressed me , no way fwank would have put degale in with adamu so soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by shobox View Post
                  adamu looked terrible but was tough . I didnt expect the stoppage so Groves impressed me , no way fwank would have put degale in with adamu so soon though.
                  De Gale will have had about 40 fights before he gets a British title shot

Comment

What really excites me about Groves is that jab. It's like a battering ram thudding into an opponent's face. If he works at it we could be looking at a Quartey-ish weapon. Given his enormous reach that's a massive advantage going into any fight.

He's got to work at it, tho. Right now he doesn't use the punch anywhere near often enough. But he's young and inexperienced and all wrapped up with putting on a spectacular show for the fans. It's understandable. But as he moves up in class he's going to need every edge he can lay his hands on so it's vitally important he doesn't let it go to waste.

There are so few truly great jabs around these days. Which is so confusing because it's such an advantageous weapon. With a good jab you're halfway toward being a pretty good fighter. And it annoys the hell out of an opponent.

Hatton made the same mistake when he switched his emphasis away from body punching to that godawful mauling style prior to the Tszyu fight. I could never understand that move because Hatton was a damn good body puncher. Indeed, he was one of the best in British fight history. Perhaps there was a good reason. I don't know. But, during his early career, there were few finer boxing sights than a good Hatton dig into the short rib.
                    Last edited by Mugwump; 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X