Report: Overeem Released by Strikeforce

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Overeem Released by Strikeforce

Time to go to UFC?

Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem has reportedly been released from his Strikeforce contract.
    HDNet's Ron Kruck broke the news on Friday's edition of “Inside MMA,” and the cable network simultaneously issued a release on the matter. According to HDNet, Strikeforce exercised its contractual option to release Overeem with one fight still remaining on his current deal.

After besting Fabricio Werdum in the first round of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix in June, Overeem recently announced his withdrawal from the tournament due to a toe injury. According to the HDNet report, however, Overeem has apparently been dealing with additional health issues, including an injured rib and elbow.

Overeem has not lost since he suffered a 2007 defeat to Sergei Kharitonov in the defunct K-1 Heroes promotion. Save for a lackluster performance against Werdum, “The Demolition Man” has looked unstoppable as of late.

In addition to holding Strikeforce's heavyweight title, the Dutchman also captured both the Dream championship and the K-1 World Grand Prix tournament, becoming the first man to ever hold those titles simultaneously. The former Pride Fighting Championships standout is next scheduled to fight at the upcoming United Glory event in October.
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Rep...ikeforce-34375

Lets hope.

If he ends up fighting bums in japan i will be really disappointed.

Comment

I think that if he's been released, it's because Zuffa are pissed at him, so I'd be surprised to see him go to the UFC straight away.

But who knows. Sometimes the way these things work out is like one of those ridiculous soap operas.

Comment

wonder if it has anything to do with cycles ect....?

Comment

didn't take long for jewfa to ruin strikeforce why don't they just fold it already and don't give that we uphold are contract nonsense a bit hypocritcal now

Comment

Word on the street is that he'll be fighting Junior Dos Santos for an interim title because Cain's shoulder isn't healing properly.

Sshhh.

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
              Word on the street is that he'll be fighting Junior Dos Santos for an interim title because Cain's shoulder isn't healing properly.

Sshhh.
              wow, that would be THE greatest fight in HW mma history.

they're the 2 best HW's in the world right now IMO, so I would luv to see this.

Comment

I blame Dorian.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                  I blame Dorian.
                  haha !

Comment

lol@me coming in here to specifically read dorian's comment...

Comment

Working...
                    X