I laugh whenever someone rates Ruben Olivares above Juan Manuel Marquez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    Nice, must have been a cool experience.

yea...i would have continued but that **** was like $70/mo...at the time i was working for Countrywide so money was kinda tight

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      He cannot be ranked H2H but he can be ranked for his wins if you do the research and for the record people have seen him and there might even be footage out there of him. JMM is a great but a bottom tier ATG, he doesn't get to be greater than he is just because you really like him. Greb convincingly beat legitimate ATGs that we can see film of, he also beat a huge amount of great fighters, Greb is quite clearly several ballparks away from JMM.
      No actually he isn't. Its all boxing mythology. A sport where records were kept poorly, there was "newspaper" decisions, blacks couldn't even compete, and fights were normally rigged.

If that wasn't enough, new athletes are always better than ones in the past, its true in every sport.

Do you think George Mikan is better than Olajuwon or Shaq?

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
        No, I wouldn't put him ahead of JCC or Chava.

In the top 5? Sure, but no ahead of those 2.

You selling the rich history of Mexican fighters short bro. A lot of great fighters to come out of that country. There still Saldivar and Canto, You got Kid Azteca. And, just for JMM to be ranked ahead of those guys would be impressive. But, he wouldn't be ahead of JCC or Chava. And, right now he is not ahead of Olivares, Canto, Azteca, Saldivar. I don't even think he ranks ahead of Morales or Barrera right now.

Where would you rank Carlos Zarate?

And, lets not forget Ricardo "Finito" Lopez who JMM is a poor man version of. No disrespect to JMM but anything JMM can do 'Finito' could do it better.

Just such a great history.
        I'd say Finitos always a hard one to rank, I agree his skills are better than JMM but their is a legitimate case to be made that JMM is greater, just depends on what you like really.

Comment

Originally posted by Subtraction View Post
          No actually he isn't. Its all boxing mythology. A sport where records were kept poorly, there was "newspaper" decisions, blacks couldn't even compete, and fights were normally rigged.

If that wasn't enough, new athletes are always better than ones in the past, its true in every sport.

Do you think George Mikan is better than Olajuwon or Shaq?
          no, but i do think Kareem is better than both of them

Comment

He cannot be ranked H2H but he can be ranked for his wins if you do the research and for the record people have seen him and there might even be footage out there of him. JMM is a great but a bottom tier ATG, he doesn't get to be greater than he is just because you really like him. Greb convincingly beat legitimate ATGs that we can see film of, he also beat a huge amount of great fighters, Greb is quite clearly several ballparks away from JMM.
            12 or 13 HOF'ers under Greb resume? Did it mostly with being blind from one eye?

What is there to debate, there is no discussion.

H2H is when you need to see skills and styles.

ATG ranking is resume and accomplishments.

Greb and JMM is not even debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
              JMM couldn't even muster to challenge Chris John for a rematch

yup, jmm got schooled by chris john

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
                The list goes like this
                1-Morales
                2-Barrerera
                3-Hamed
                4-Marqpiss

An objective list would look like this..

1. Morales

2. Marquez

3. Barrera

4. Hamed

Comment

Originally posted by pacman777 View Post
                  yup, jmm got schooled by chris john

/thread
                  puahahah look at this boxrec warrior.. Typical *******

Comment

I'd say Finitos always a hard one to rank, I agree his skills are better than JMM but their is a legitimate case to be made that JMM is greater, just depends on what you like really.
                    Agree,

the one thing that does help 'Finito' is his longevity, 2 division champ, 20 title defenses.

The one thing that really hurts him is never fighting Carbajal or Chiquita or even a Too Sharp at 112.

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
                      no, but i do think Kareem is better than both of them
                      Its possible, but Kareem is once in a lifetime. All those old timer boxers everyone always wets their pants over are not as good as they're advertised.

Comment

Working...
                      X