Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there only 1 way to throw the Jab or the Hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there only 1 way to throw the Jab or the Hook?

Here is my take on the subjects

What do you think?

I always thought the correct way was palm down, I started throwing palm facing where I seem to be able to be quicker and get more power in it.

I find it more difficult palm down and struggle with power, glad you have shown these different examples as I felt I had to be throwing them palm down.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
      I always thought the correct way was palm down, I started throwing palm facing where I seem to be able to be quicker and get more power in it.

I find it more difficult palm down and struggle with power, glad you have shown these different examples as I felt I had to be throwing them palm down.
      Palms Down takes a lot of skill and practice. One can easily break their hand throwing that punch

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
        Palms Down takes a lot of skill and practice. One can easily break their hand throwing that punch
        Probably explains why my wrist is so sore recently as I only started trying the palm down technique, I also noticed difficulty with range when hitting pads.

Back to palm facing its only for excersize purposes anyway not actual fighting.

Comment

that's what i love most about boxing. mma guys think its just jab,straight,uppercut,hook. there are millions of variations to each punch. i'll try to find the video someone posted 6 months ago with a cuban national coach talking about how their amateurs train. when he said jab, he wanted them to throw a different jab everytime. step forward jab, backward jab, change levels and jab to the body, slip in any direction and jab, practice parrying and jabbing off it. jabbing to the chest, the marciano uppward jab. best sport there is period.

Comment

as far as the hook question, I use both. if im throwing any type of counter/check/lead hook i throw it thumb up. if im inside and want to get more power i will throw the hook palms down as you can turn the hook over more that way.

Comment

What do you call the Sugar Ray Robinson-style hook?

I've noticed that he never pivots with the left hook, but it's still a power shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Brenner View Post
                What do you call the Sugar Ray Robinson-style hook?

I've noticed that he never pivots with the left hook, but it's still a power shot.
                Mr Robinson stirs the pot and puts a **** load of shoulder into it

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post

If you throw with your palm down they'll call you with slapping after a while. It's also a great way to break your fist lol

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                    If you throw with your palm down they'll call you with slapping after a while. It's also a great way to break your fist lol
                    Actually it's the opposite, throwing with the palm face down makes it less of a slap, throwing with the palm facing yourself can seem like a slap or become a slap because fighters tend to "open" the hook causing a slap with it.

Most old school coaches teach palm down when in close on the hook. As the hook becomes longer then the palm starts facing you and the thumb comes up.

Here is boxing coach Kenny Weldon explaining it, he's an EXCELLENT coach and very well respected. He teaches proper boxing the way it should be taught. Very few are doing it like he is.

He even talks about how you come palm up when throwing the left hook to the body which is the way they teach it in Mexico and they know a little something about throwing left hooks in Mexico... Because it's almost like an uppercut to the liver, that's where you want to land that shot. Most coaches teach hitting to the kidney almost.

He also talks about weight distribution which is the most important thing in generating power on the hook, another thing most trainers don't teach. I'm surprised how we have gone to the fancy and flashy things in boxing and very few are teaching the proper and fundamental things in boxing like Kenny Weldon.
                    Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X