No announcement yet.

What happened to Nonito?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shinygloves View Post
    I think it's the same situation that hit Hamed. Both were knockout artists that looked unbeatable and probably got told that everyday until they believed their own hype.

Most fighters know they aren't going to be Duran or Leonard but do it anyways. I don't think that was the case with Nonito. He probably entered the Rigo fight feeling unbeatable and got humbled in the worst way.

The fact that he hated boxing in his early career and didn't love it until he had a fan base supports this. Once your legacy is taken away and you have a family priorities just change. Greatness isn't as important as the paycheck anymore.

I think leaving Garcia was a mistake.
    He was never really with Garcia, they would just finish up camp with Garcia, and garcia would be there in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
      Well of course he was defeated by the ever so elusive and defensive wizard that is Guillermo Rigo. but ever since he seems to be a mere shadow of his former self. After a depressing outing versus a bloated featherweight in a lousy rematch with Vic Darchinyan, Nonito seems to have lost his poise. In a rematch that was meant to be a blowout, he struggled on the cards but managed to pull off a TKO victory, unimpressive to say the least..

A former fighter of the year, 3 weight champion and PFP elite boxer, Nonito seems to have peaked. At 31 and now facing a difficult opponent in Simpiwe Vetyeka, Donaire and his "new" trainer Nonito Sr. are hoping to rejuvenate his career. With a new camp and attempting to return to his roots by now training in his homeland, Nonito and his father are trying to turn back the hands of time and have the filipino contender show off his once fancy footwork and devastating left hook to the masses.

At one point i believed in a PFP setting, Donaire could outclass a fighter in the likes of his fellow countryman, Manny Pacquiao. I wonder, if MP were to face a boxer in the specimen of Rigo, with similar precision,skill, power and athleticism, would he change as well?

So my question stands***8230; is Nonito Donaire headed down hill due to his own body***8230;ageing and or lack of interest? or was Guillermo so good he pushed Donaire to question himself and ultimately grounded the Filipino Flash permanently? What would a loss/victory for Nonito do for him at this stage in his limbo bound career?
      What happened to Nonito is the very reason why Bob Arum helped Pacquiao duck Mayweather. Pacquiao fans should be thankful that fight never happened because Floyd would of schooled Pacquiao worse than Rigo did.

Comment

Originally posted by fighter1234 View Post
        What happened to Nonito is the very reason why Bob Arum helped Pacquiao duck Mayweather. Pacquiao fans should be thankful that fight never happened because Floyd would of schooled Pacquiao worse than Rigo did.
        not comparable to Pac, Manny has lost few times, ktfo few time but each time comeback stronger and achieved even greater heights...

anyway Nonito is scheduled for his 2nd fight after the lost, IMHO he may be down but still not out...

Comment

Oh here we go, another thread hijacked by May****s :/

Anyway, with Nonito, what's happened is that boxing is no longer his priority. Family life, children, they've all seem to have taken that edge away from him, he didn't even seem himself against Rigo.

If Nonito can get himself in tune mentally, he can still be a true top level fighter because physically he'd ok, he has never taken a bad beating and hasn't been in too many fights. Nonito has the tools, he just needs the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
            not comparable to Pac, Manny has lost few times, ktfo few time but each time comeback stronger and achieved even greater heights...

anyway Nonito is scheduled for his 2nd fight after the lost, IMHO he may be down but still not out...
            That just goes to show the difference in mental stability between them both. i am honestly behind Nonito all the way, i just wish his mental strength met his physical attributes. He is truly amazing when he is in his dominant form, damn near unstoppable. I would love to see him pitted against Johnny G. Not only an explosive fight but it would be nice for Nonito to test his chin at 126 before moving up with stronger men at 130.

Comment

Originally posted by shinygloves View Post
              I think with "greatness" out of the question boxing is more of a job to him now. I don't think he's peaked at all and can make a strong comeback if he made his career a priority.

he's definitely hit his peak. he's a 31 year old former flyweight. he can't make 122 any longer, and at 126 he looks pretty ordinary.

at 118 he's the hardest puncher i've ever seen. small guys peak early.

we've without a doubt seen donaire's best.

Comment

Relax people, he's only lost 1 fight in like 15 years and that was Rigo. His weight climbing will be his downfall

Comment

That fight certainly affected him mentally and he has seemed to have lost the desire he once had. He's been very inactive and that is proof his mind is somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post

I disagree. Pacquiao has never got Ko'd in his prime, him losing to Mayweather in 2009 while on his way up would've severly damaged his confidence and career. Who knows where Pacquaio would be today had he not ducked the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X