***The Official Book Readers Thread***

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheres Waldo, Arthur`s New Puppy, and Arthur`s Eyess.....****s wif it

Comment

I never got why some of the books get the hype they do.

To Kill A Mockingbird sucked and so did Lord Of The Flies. I also didn't like Cat's Cradle too much, which was supposed to have jump-started Vonnegut's writing career.

At the moment I'm reading all short fiction, mostly by Anton Chekhov and O. Henry.

Comment

Just started The Dark Tower, anyone else read it/series?

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
          I never got why some of the books get the hype they do.

To Kill A Mockingbird sucked and so did Lord Of The Flies. I also didn't like Cat's Cradle too much, which was supposed to have jump-started Vonnegut's writing career.

At the moment I'm reading all short fiction, mostly by Anton Chekhov and O. Henry.
          The movie was pretty funny imo, watched it/read it my sop****re year in high school. Didn't like it that much.
          RIP Piggy

Comment

The Count of Monte Cristo was kickass. So many twists and turns and cliffhanger chapters.

Full marks to Dumas for making a 1,200 page book such a page turner.

Currently reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I read some of his late work a few years ago and enjoyed it. This seems a lot more absurd and satirical and I'm getting used to his idiosyncratic style, but it looks promising.

Comment

Finished Money by Martin Amis several weeks ago, quickly polished off a Flashman, now reading Butcher's Crossing by John Williams and it's excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
                I am currently reading sherlock holmes. Just finished the 3rd. Easy read and very well written. I was reading the original james bond series in between sherlock holmes books but the standard of writing between Arthur Conan Doyle and Ian Fleming is vast so I stopped.
                It's funny how much Dr Watson is "in to" Sherlock. I mean he's really "in to" him.

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
                Reading the Sandman by Neil Gaiman, I'll comment more when I finish the first book.
                It's a 200 page graphic novel. It should take you half an hour.

Anyway I am currently reading David Wong's sequel to John Dies At The End. It's called This Book is Full of Spiders (Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It). It's a sort of silly sci-fi horror novel.

The last book I read was called The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker, a non fiction book about why violence has declined.

I read a lot. I also read a lot of graphic novels, with my current favourite being Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
                  I have read and ranked as follows:

#1 Penmaric (Truly an epic) 10/10
                  #2 Kane and Abel 10/10
                  #3 Agent Zigzag 9/10
                  #4 Girl if the dragon tattoo trilogy 9/10 (the 3rd is better than the 2nd and the 2nd better than the 1st)

I've only read one autobiography, Scartissue. Mind blowing.

I am currently reading sherlock holmes. Just finished the 3rd. Easy read and very well written. I was reading the original james bond series in between sherlock holmes books but the standard of writing between Arthur Conan Doyle and Ian Fleming is vast so I stopped.

READ KANE AND ABEL
                  - It is a must read.
                  Time for my periodical attempt to sell Flashman. You mention being fed up with Ian Fleming's writing:

“Mr Fraser is a skillful and meticulous writer, twice as good as Buchan, and twenty times better than Fleming” – Auberon Waugh.

The following is an article by Christopher Hitchens on his love for Flash Harry which I think will appeal to Piggy:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...4/579jmzky.asp

Comment

Just picked up the Portrait of Dorian Gray and it's pretty good so far.Probably going to read Lolita after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X