Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlas claims report with $9m USD paid to AIBA for AZE gold medals!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas claims report with $9m USD paid to AIBA for AZE gold medals!

Incase anyone missed it, there was an Azerbaijan -vs- Japan bantamweight bout today at the London Olympics. It saw the AZE fighter knocked down multiple times in the 3rd round without receiving an 8 count, and it appeared he was not fit to continue. The fighter who should have been stopped, shockingly won the decision..

Teddy Atlas mentioned he was aware of a report regarding Azerbaijan paying 9 million USD to AIBA in return for 2 gold medals at the London Olympics. I apologize if I have any of these details incorrect. I just happened to google what Atlas said and here is what came up. The article is old, but I think now in light of the AZE/JAP olympic travesty, maybe this will be looked more into. Here it is:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...ic-gold-medals

AIBA has since overturned the fight:
    Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn
    They did the right thing. AIBA overturned result of Satoshi Shimizu (Japan)-Magomed Abdulhamidov (Azerbaijan) bantamt bout. Shimuzu advances

But these Olympic rules and how they're being administered is madness. Common sense would dictate that after this blatant incompetence/corruption? Olympic boxing should see some level of reform now.

Please discuss
    Last edited by DrewWoodside; 08-01-2012, 11:32 PM.

If Atlas was there commentating he would have gone ballistic.

Comment

Atlas was commentating~ so was Bob Papa they were both going ballistic,

Comment

Originally posted by Realism View Post
        If Atlas was there commentating he would have gone ballistic.
        I was never suspecting corruption with the terrible olympic boxing officiating. I just thought it was non boxing people and general incompetence. But if AZE paid 9 million for gold medals, and the ref basically carried a stopped fighter for the better part of a round? This system really deserves reform and an investigation.

Comment

Medzhidov doesn't need that to win gold, but yeah this is ****ed up

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Atlas was commentating~ so was Bob Papa they were both going ballistic,
            Just when you don't think boxing can surprise you anymore... It goes above and beyond.

Comment

It wasn't just the ref though, the judges said the dude that was flopping around landed 10 scoring blows in that third round~ the Japanese dude landed 12 and the ref warned the other fighter so without the warning it could have been scored even.

I have watched fight where dudes traded a good amount of punches for 3 rounds and neither dude gets credit for 10 landed blows.

Comment

Also does Teddy knows how much does Warren paid for a Joshua Olympic Gold Medal?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  It wasn't just the ref though, the judges said the dude that was flopping around landed 10 scoring blows in that third round~ the Japanese dude landed 12 and the ref warned the other fighter so without the warning it could have been scored even.

I have watched fight where dudes traded a good amount of punches for 3 rounds and neither dude gets credit for 10 landed blows.
                  Do you think it was incompetence or corruption or... both? That whole thing confused me. And maybe to confuse us more, the next ref was super engaging and DQ'd the Iranian.

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post
                    Medzhidov doesn't need that to win gold, but yeah this is ****ed up
                    Why doesn't the Azerbaijanian(i apologize if that's not the correct spelling) fighter need to win that fight to get a gold? Isn't it an elimination bout.

Comment

Working...
                    X