No announcement yet.

Overeem v JDS, Valasquez vs Bigfoot Silva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overeem v JDS, Valasquez vs Bigfoot Silva

Overeem v JDS, Valasquez vs Bigfoot Silva 2 set for UFC 160!

One year after Cain Velasquez mauled Antonio Silva, the two heavyweights will do it again, agreeing to a rematch at UFC 160, the Memorial Day weekend card which will take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The matchups were reported on Tuesday's edition of UFC Tonight, citing confirmation from UFC president Dana White.

The show's date, May 25, is one day short of the one-year anniversary of their first meeting, which Velasquez won via TKO in just 3:36.

Silva set himself up for the heavyweight championship opportunity after stunning Alistair Overeem at UFC 156 on Feb. 2. At the time, Overeem had been promised a title shot with a win, but no such promise had been made to Silva, who was a sizable underdog going into the bout.

After losing the first two rounds, Silva came out on fire to start the third, rocking Overeem with an uppercut before flattening him with a thunderous barrage against the fence.

Silva is likely to be a major underdog to Velasquez as well. In his previous loss to the UFC heavyweight champ, it was an elbow that caused significant problems when Velasquez sliced him open, leading to a constant spray of blood that caused Silva vision problems. Partially because he was unable to see what was coming, he was out-landed by a lopsided 53-3 margin.

That match happened to be Velasquez's first since losing the belt to Junior dos Santos, and he later rebounded from his own one-sided beating, avenging the loss to dos Santos with a five-round romp to reclaim the belt. This will be his first attempt at a title defense since that December match.

Meanwhile, White also announced another major heavyweight fight that will pit dos Santos against Overeem in the night's co-main event.

Heading into late 2012, it seemed that the two were on a collision course to fight for the championship, but dos Santos was steamrolled by Velasquez while Overeem fell to Silva, and now here they are here, both facing the prospect of a two-fight losing streak.

The fight between the duo should carry with it some personal undertones. In the past, Overeem has accused dos Santos of being afraid of him, words that motivated dos Santos to request a matchup with the Dutch striker. On May 25, the stakes won't be quite as high as they could have been, but with Silva proving a two-fight win streak could lead to a title shot, they are still significant.

wow good

i got Cain n JDS winning

Comment

Makes sense since Dos Santos crushed Cain in one round like Cain did to Silva. So might as well give Silva a shot to do the same thing. He has the power to put Cain to sleep.

Dos Santos will DESTROY Overseem I'll bet anything on that. Overeem is so overrated and won't bully dos Santos whose hands are too fast slick and powerful. If overeem can't bully you in one round he loses!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Silva get's demolished again....

Comment

Cain will stop the Sasquatch again. Too easy.

Comment

Silva will get his ass handed to him.

Not sure about JDS-Reem.

Comment

Hopefully JDS doesn't do a repeat of his "block punches with his face" technique he had against Cain...

Comment

lol big foot silver getting a title shot, i guess its better than having cain do nothing

Comment

I'd like to bet on either Jds or Cain. You can take your pick.

The bet is for 100 billion points.

The stipulation is that this bet is ONLY valid if Alex Gustafsson beats Mousasi as i have 60 billion on that fight already. If Mousasi wins i have no points to bet and this bet is void.

Only 1 bet please.

Comment

Why they gotta do Silva like that?Im interested in Reem-JDS, but I like Silva and he's just going to get beat down again by Cain.

Comment

Working...
                    X