Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest/most talented England players ever...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest/most talented England players ever...

Okay, this has probably been done to death but as copa mondiale is almost with us I was watching some old england footage on espn classic and thinking who our greatest players have been

Okay we have

Gordon Banks
    Bobby Moore
    Stanley Matthews
    Tom Finney
    Bobby Charlton
    Gary Lineker
    Sol Campbell (not a joke honest)

in the greatest camp. All had stellar england careers, but I would put Charlton at the top of the list - great skill, great pass, great football brain and a cracking shot.

As for most talented, I didn't have a list as such, but Gascoigne has to be the winner doesn't he? followed by Charlton (only one to have made the most of their talent thus far), Edwards and Rooney. I reckon Ferdinand is/was extremely talented defender but never quite produced it on the biggest stage unlike Campbell.

Might well have Ashley Cole joining the greatest list if he shines at the world cup. Definitely the best left back I've seen play the game in this country, which is sad for my fave Pearcey.

Anyway, views you L*mey c*nts? The Scotch need not apply, as we all know how they mniserably failed to achieve anything even when they had hansen, sounness and dalglish.

Stuart Pearce. Passion. England.

Comment

Pearcey is possibly my favourite england player, and certainly the player who I'd love to play like (I play left back myself), but you're not arguing to put him up with those alumin are you? I know he played for Forest and all but....

Comment

Players like Hoddle and Waddle cant be overlooked. They peaked during a time when footy was in the doldrums, but they are 2 of the most gifted players we've produced. Some of the **** they did with the ball was unreal and they also tore up the foreign leagues they played in. Its a shame they never got to all play in the same team as Lineker, Gazza if they were all in their prime at the same time that would be one of the most talented attacking pool of players we would have ever produced imo

Comment

yes waddle and hoddle could certainly be added to the talent list, although not sure they rank up with the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusWolf View Post
            Pearcey is possibly my favourite england player, and certainly the player who I'd love to play like (I play left back myself), but you're not arguing to put him up with those alumin are you? I know he played for Forest and all but....
            I'm not arguing to put him in your list, just showing my Psycho nuthuggery as he's my favourite player of all-time.

This guy was one of the most talented players English players i've seen grace the pitch, yet just couldn't perform for his country like he did his clubs.
            Such a shame he couldn't do this everytime he put wore the lions on his heart.

Comment

Yeah I thought about Barnes. Perhaps he goes on the talented list as well.

We've had quite a few players who have not done what their genuine talent indicated they could do. Gascoigne is certainly the standout - I genuinely think he could have been up with Zidane/maradona and above baggio, matheus, ronaldinho, figo. Maybe the real ronaldo and maldini would be up there too.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
                I'm not arguing to put him in your list, just showing my Psycho nuthuggery as he's my favourite player of all-time.

I was at that match

one of the best days of my life. Still have the program and my ticket!!

Comment

Most Talented ever.................

Stanley Collymore

Would have over 100 England Caps and Record Scorer if he hadnt been such a nutter.

What about Shilton??

Shilton

Viv Anderson Bobby Moore Terry Butcher Stuart Pearce

David Beckham Paul Gascoine Bobby Moore Stanley Mathews

Gary Lineker Stan Collymore

Subs
                  Banks
                  Finney
                  Ball
                  Shearer
                  Walker
                  Robson

Comment

Alan Shearer. Easily the best English striker ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X