Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breathing, more valuable than running in Combat Sports?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.

its a contradiction.

Breathing is more valuable then running, thats why you run.

the best exercise you can do as a boxer for breathing, is nice calm jogs.

your lungs hold alot of air and unless your taking the deepest breath possible and exhaling everything with each breath only about 25% of that air is exchanged. what happens tot he other 75%???//? well that stays in your lungs so your lungs have a constant source of oxygen.

so the key to proper breathing, is making sure this 75% of the air in your lungs isnt getting stale, if your not breathing properly you mgiht end up taking quik breaths, this results in you exchanging the air you just breathed in while CO2 builds up in the resivior holding 75% of your lungs capacity. eventually your lungs need fresh air and your forced to exhale everything and then take a deep breath.

now lets say your in the middle of the ring, whats just happened is your lungs ran out of oxygen, you then needed to stop for a second expell everything in your lungs fruther restricing your lungs of oxygen, and then you need to take a deep breath.

in the ring in the middle of a fight isnt the best time to do this, and if your stressed out this is going to happen over and over and over and over and over again.

so we get to running, boxers didnt do only sprints for training back in the day, they did sprints but they allways recognized the importance of the long run.

when sprinting your running as hard as you can for short bursts there is not time for you to think about breathing, your just gasping for air as you bullet down the track. same with swimming, half the times your heads under the water, not providing the best oppertunity to practice breathing.

finally back to steady jogging, a steady pace slightly stressing your body, the steady beat as you clop your feet down, no urgency, no coordination needed, you can almost close your eyes and just run forever listening to the beat with each step.

this is the perfect setting to learn how to properly cycle the air in your lungs even when under stress, and this is why boxers run 3-6 mile distances regularly.

sure breathing is more important then running, but running is hands down the best breathing exercise for a boxer.

stomach vaccumes are good for lower back and inner core strength, but running is a better breathing exercise.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-07-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      No.

its a contradiction.

Breathing is more valuable then running, thats why you run.

the best exercise you can do as a boxer for breathing, is nice calm jogs.

your lungs hold alot of air and unless your taking the deepest breath possible and exhaling everything with each breath only about 25% of that air is exchanged. what happens tot he other 75%???//? well that stays in your lungs so your lungs have a constant source of oxygen.

so the key to proper breathing, is making sure this 75% of the air in your lungs isnt getting stale, if your not breathing properly you mgiht end up taking quik breaths, this results in you exchanging the air you just breathed in while CO2 builds up in the resivior holding 75% of your lungs capacity. eventually your lungs need fresh air and your forced to exhale everything and then take a deep breath.

now lets say your in the middle of the ring, whats just happened is your lungs ran out of oxygen, you then needed to stop for a second expell everything in your lungs fruther restricing your lungs of oxygen, and then you need to take a deep breath.

in the ring in the middle of a fight isnt the best time to do this, and if your stressed out this is going to happen over and over and over and over and over again.

so we get to running, boxers didnt do only sprints for training back in the day, they did sprints but they allways recognized the importance of the long run.

when sprinting your running as hard as you can for short bursts there is not time for you to think about breathing, your just gasping for air as you bullet down the track. same with swimming, half the times your heads under the water, not providing the best oppertunity to practice breathing.

finally back to steady jogging, a steady pace slightly stressing your body, the steady beat as you clop your feet down, no urgency, no coordination needed, you can almost close your eyes and just run forever listening to the beat with each step.

this is the perfect setting to learn how to properly cycle the air in your lungs even when under stress, and this is why boxers run 3-6 mile distances regularly.

sure breathing is more important then running, but running is hands down the best breathing exercise for a boxer.

stomach vaccumes are good for lower back and inner core strength, but running is a better breathing exercise.
      Wow John, did you actually read 1 of my blog post before you replied? I'm moving up in the world.

Teasing

Thanks Champ

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
        Wow John, did you actually read 1 of my blog post before you replied? I'm moving up in the world.

Teasing

Thanks Champ
        ahhh, this makes more sense now that i understand that you thought i was some one else.

i read most your posts, if i read something i dont agree with, ill comment, but most your posts are good posts so i usually dont have much to say.

but this thread just didnt sit right with me, as breathing is directly linked to running. so to saying that breathing is more valuable then running is kind of like saying that breathing is more valuable then stomach vaccumes...which would make your blog post alittle confusing.

personally i think you should have just left it with pointing out the importantce of breathing and the stomach vacume exercises instead of trying to what seems like make the title more of a draw by creating the idea that breathing might be more important then road work.

Comment

ahhh, this makes more sense now that i understand that you thought i was some one else.

i read most your posts, if i read something i dont agree with, ill comment, but most your posts are good posts so i usually dont have much to say.

but this thread just didnt sit right with me, as breathing is directly linked to running. so to saying that breathing is more valuable then running is kind of like saying that breathing is more valuable then stomach vaccumes...which would make your blog post alittle confusing.

personally i think you should have just left it with pointing out the importantce of breathing and the stomach vacume exercises instead of trying to what seems like make the title more of a draw by creating the idea that breathing might be more important then road work.
          Na im gonna stick to my guns. I set the table for the blog in the first line... You gotta read with your mind not just your eyes. I literally opened up with my rebuttal in the blog

"Athletes often get tired in fights. Even “well conditioned” athletes."

Thats a fact. So do you tell Amir Khan to run more or do we simply discredit and dismiss Ariza....

i know old dudes that are pro sparring partners.... they don't run but they can box all day. Read the blog cause you would know i run my fighters but learning how to breathe is essential. You learn in building blocks via isolation. That's a process.

Read the blog my friend

Comment

Na im gonna stick to my guns. I set the table for the blog in the first line... You gotta read with your mind not just your eyes. I literally opened up with my rebuttal in the blog

"Athletes often get tired in fights. Even “well conditioned” athletes."

Thats a fact. So do you tell Amir Khan to run more or do we simply discredit and dismiss Ariza....

i know old dudes that are pro sparring partners.... they don't run but they can box all day. Read the blog cause you would know i run my fighters but learning how to breathe is essential. You learn in building blocks via isolation. That's a process.

Read the blog my friend
            honestly your post in kinda confusing, you refer to conditioned athelets, shotput throwing athelets? swimmers? triathalon? what kind of athelets? what are they conditioned for?

then you pull out some line about whether we should tell amir to run or if we should do something else dismissing what ariza says he should do.

this seems alot like a contradiction, the premise you place is that ariza is telling amir to run so you ask if we should agree and tell amir to run or if we should have him do something else.

im going to have to go with the professional boxing strenght and conditioning coach and have amir run.

though as far as that, id really need to know more about his current routine. he may be jogging 3-6 miles allready in which case the better optuion would be to include some high intenisty interval training involving sparring, shadow boxing and bag work at 80% max intensity for 3 min intervals and 1 min breaks as 3 min intervals and 1 min breaks is the hands down best way to imporve lactate tolerance, resting heart rate, and vo2 max all at the same time.

why do you have them run? what kind of jogging routines do you have them do? sprinting? jogging? both?
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-08-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

why do you have them run? what kind of routines do you have them do?
              hahahahahaha all types of stuff. A Million Styles Boxing. As soon as I hit Thailand the book will be out and all my techniques will be available. If you go through my free videos on youtube. You will see running, im sure or search conditioning.

Comment

hahahahahaha all types of stuff. A Million Styles Boxing. As soon as I hit Thailand the book will be out and all my techniques will be available. If you go through my free videos on youtube. You will see running, im sure or search conditioning.

so your not quite sure why you have them run? or is there just so many reasons that it take tooo long to list?

if the latter is the case, can you list the most important reason to do long slow distance runs?

or perhaps why long slow distance runs are better then sprints, swimming, or rowing?

Comment

so your not quite sure why you have them run? or is there just so many reasons that it take tooo long to list?

if the latter is the case, can you list the most important reason to do long slow distance runs?

or perhaps why long slow distance runs are better then sprints, swimming, or rowing?
                  I decline to share any of my views on running that are not already in my free blogs or videos. I give away enough. Some stuff is for the software and book. I have different "running/conditioning) techniques. It depends on the situation. ie. 8 weeks out from fight, amateur that needs to gain confidence in their power runs, mentally draining runs, interval runs it depends. Your being a little lazy... oy vey I will post 2 SAMPLES. Key word samples

Around the lake is 3 miles. Before we did this he did 2 laps of regular running than t laps of this torture.
                  i dont post entire sessions and again these are just a couple of many running drills you can do

Comment

I decline to share any of my views on running that are not already in my free blogs or videos. I give away enough. Some stuff is for the software and book. I have different "running/conditioning) techniques. It depends on the situation. ie. 8 weeks out from fight, amateur that needs to gain confidence in their power runs, mentally draining runs, interval runs it depends. Your being a little lazy... oy vey I will post 2 SAMPLES. Key word samples

Around the lake is 3 miles. Before we did this he did 2 laps of regular running than t laps of this torture.

i dont post entire sessions and again these are just a couple of many running drills you can do

it is my opinion that long distance running is to improve breathing, this idea is actaully mentioned in a few boxing books from the 1880s.

as you dont seem to agree but still advocate running, im courious as to why you have your students do it, and not bike, swim or row?

Comment

it is my opinion that long distance running is to improve breathing, this idea is actaully mentioned in a few boxing books from the 1880s.

as you dont seem to agree but still advocate running, im courious as to why you have your students do it, and not bike, swim or row?
                      This is 2012. I run my athletes because one of my mentors Andrew Council says that running gives you a mental boost confidence wise. Knowing that you put your miles in. It's not scientific but that's good enough for me. My other mentor Michael Olajide prefers to jump rope for 60 minutes as opposed to run. He is THE Energizer Bunny. I am blessed to have more than one view of training. People train different all over the world.

I'm a fan of specificity of training. So I can work technique, conditioning, and discipline at the same time.
                      It's a different Method of Teaching from my military experience. I like total body workouts and isometric conditioning also to supplement running...

Comment

Working...
                      X