No announcement yet.

Pro boxers in the olympics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few point that I can think of..

- Sucks to be an Amateur who misses out on a spot, especially when the ruling was only made this close to Rio. Preparation be damned.

- Potentially dangerous. Seasoned pro's being thrown in the ring against amateurs? It's a contact sport with punches to the head - getting your proverbial handed to you is far, far different to a ball sport. Mismatches are everywhere in the Olympics in every sport - this sport is about hurting the other person. Someone could be seriously railed on.

- If it does draw any big names, it'll put into context just how we ridiculously overpay for PPV fights. Not the same product, sure - but a snippet. Enough to go say "damn, remind me why they want my wallet again?". Fighters could lose their sheen very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      You make good points but it just isn't for me. The thought of Floyd, Wlad or Manny fighting in the Olympics right now doesn't interest me at all.
      yeah well fortunately it's not something that is likely going to happen for reasons I've explained. It's just a lot of work for not much incentive.

However, I could see perhaps Wlad doing it but who cares really he sucks at this point and could easily lose.

If anything you should put an age limit on Olympic boxers (is there one?) or limit them to 2 Olympics. Once a guy is 24 or 25 he shouldn't be fighting amateurs IMO.
      No there's no age limit. Already we have old boxers in the Olympics (again, Cuban fighters since they can't turn pro just fight in the amateurs as long as they can compete, same with a lot of eastern European countries). There are a lot of career amateur fighters, and that's always been the case (guys who for whatever reasons, never turn pro), like that extremeley talented Russian fighter, Gaydarbek Gaydarbekov, who beat Golovkin in the 2004 Olympic finals for example, that guy beat everyone up till his 30s and retired, never turning pro.

Comment

I don't like it at all. The olympics is a time for young amateurs to try to make a name for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          yeah well fortunately it's not something that is likely going to happen for reasons I've explained. It's just a lot of work for not much incentive.

However, I could see perhaps Wlad doing it but who cares really he sucks at this point and could easily lose.

No there's no age limit. Already we have old boxers in the Olympics (again, Cuban fighters since they can't turn pro just fight in the amateurs as long as they can compete, same with a lot of eastern European countries). There are a lot of career amateur fighters, and that's always been the case (guys who for whatever reasons, never turn pro), like that extremeley talented Russian fighter, Gaydarbek Gaydarbekov, who beat Golovkin in the 2004 Olympic finals for example, that guy beat everyone up till his 30s and retired, never turning pro.
          Thanks for the info. I guess an age limit isn't fair to Cubans.

Maybe a pros tour of Cuba since they can't turn pro, would work. That would be interesting and wouldn't hurt the Olympics.

Comment

deez nuts!

Comment

I guess the flipside to this or to play devils advocate is that most other Olympic sports have pros. I mean if Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, et al got to destroy the world and everyone loved it, why couldn't a Mayweather or a Pacquiao do it if they wanted to? A LOT of these Olympic fighters are in their mid 20-s to 30's and even late 30s in some cases, where these guys are essential "pro" amateurs whos whole purpose is attempting to win medals for their country. In the US, most everyone is young, but that's probably not the norm when you look at Cuba obviously, eastern European countries, etc.
              That only happened with basketball because the US was sending amateurs to play the pros of other countries, though.

As far as the qualifying and all that, the Philippines said Pac wouldn't have to do any of that. He can walk into a spot on the Olympic team.

Comment

Pro boxing in the Olympics is disgraceful. The beauty of Amateur boxing was people strive to make the Olympics, thatll soon be non existent. If this happens, I am putting my kids in jiu jitsu...

Comment

I guess the flipside to this or to play devils advocate is that most other Olympic sports have pros. I mean if Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, et al got to destroy the world and everyone loved it, why couldn't a Mayweather or a Pacquiao do it if they wanted to? A LOT of these Olympic fighters are in their mid 20-s to 30's and even late 30s in some cases, where these guys are essential "pro" amateurs whos whole purpose is attempting to win medals for their country. In the US, most everyone is young, but that's probably not the norm when you look at Cuba obviously, eastern European countries, etc.
                  That is the exact same argument i said to my housemate. America puts forward their star NBA players into the Olympics and its unfair to all of the other countries that have to go up against them. America just pisses on them and gives no other country a chance to bring back a gold. and I agree, those put forward for the olympics are "elite amateurs" or prospects willing to turn pro anyways. But to the people who say, "imagine an amateur Anthony Ogogo having to face a world champion vitali klitschko; its dangerous and he would be outclassed" i guarantee an elite amateur would take that risk and would love to be able to say "i shared the ring with _____"

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    Pro boxing in the Olympics is disgraceful. The beauty of Amateur boxing was people strive to make the Olympics, thatll soon be non existent. If this happens, I am putting my kids in jiu jitsu...
                    you're right, thats a good point. People like myself in the amateurs wouldn't have a pinnacle to work towards before turning pro. but then again, if i knew there was a chance to go up against Pacquiao even at an amateur level, I would definitely take it.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
                      I don't like it at all. The olympics is a time for young amateurs to try to make a name for themselves.
                      and what if an amateur caused an upset and beat a pro?

Comment

Working...
                      X