No announcement yet.

right handed in a southpaw stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right handed in a southpaw stance?

I know this has been asked before but how do u guys feel about a right handed person fighting in the southpaw stance? is it just all wrong and is a disater waiting to happen or can someone be successful fighting like this? im not talking about turning pro or anything like that.

Im a right handed but feels more comfortable in a southpaw stance. I feel like i can move better this way with my right leg forward and i feel more comfortable jabbing with my right hand than with my left. power wise i feel my left and right hand is equal in power but when opening a bottle cap or such then yes my right hand is stronger but if im throwing punches both hands seems to have the same amount of power.

When i try fighting in a orthodox stance, im not as comfortable jabbing with my left hand and i seem to move a lot slower too. anyone on here is in the same boat as me? should i just try and work on fighting in the correct stance or can i get by like this? and once again im not trying to try out for the olympic team or anything like that lol.

I am in the same boat as you (not going pro or doing anything special). I think it is good to train both stances. If you do research you will get mixed reviews on this theory. I got into boxing to stay in shape and to get a change from weight lifting. I looked at it like if I worked one stance compared to the other then only one half of my body was going to get the work and the other half would suffer. So, I split my workout in half. Half orthodox, half south paw.

I have been doing this for about two years now. I do feel most comfortable standing orthodox but I also feel comfortable now working southpaw. As you have said, I also notice benefits of being able to switch to a different stance with comfort. In southpaw stance, my jab may be a little slower (it has gotten a lot quicker since working it out more) but it has a lot more power to it since it is thrown with my power hand. I also feel a different type of footwork standing southpaw as well. It is hard to describe the feel of it.

I feel that training that other stance you are opening a whole new style about yourself which has the possibility of confusing your opponent. They get used to fighting you in one stance in the first round and boom, you switch it up in the second. Being your not pro, they probably haven't done any research on you and aren't prepared to fight a fighter like that.

Like I said, people are going to have different opinions on the subject and some will say that it is a bad idea. I would say it is a good idea because it is adding a lot more tools to your arsenal. You just have to take the time and drill properly to get comfortable with it. You can't decide to do it today and then go use it in a fight next week.

Comment

When its boxing time im orthodox, but karate/jujitsu i go southy. Movement is much more different between boxing and martial arts so i think that's why i switch, i like a strong lead kick/harder to sweep my right leg than left...
      Right-handed/footed wanker here... I chokeslam and DDT on my left side doe...

Comment

Originally posted by RightJab View Post
        When its boxing time im orthodox, but karate/jujitsu i go southy. Movement is much more different between boxing and martial arts so i think that's why i switch, i like a strong lead kick/harder to sweep my right leg than left...
        Right-handed/footed wanker here... I chokeslam and DDT on my left side doe...
        lol this is funny because I used to train Muay Thai and I'll be more comfortable in the orthodox stance since I'm right handed so I want my strong leg (right) behind me but when I switch to boxing then I need to be in a southpaw stance lol. It's confusing but I just feel more comfortable like this.

When I'm boxing in a southpaw stance I can control the fight more by throwing my right jab. When I switch to orthodox and throw my left jab I feel like it's almost pointless because it's like a lazy jab which doesn't do anything. But in a southpaw stance my right jab is quick and when I throw my straight left it's also quick with a nice pop. it's weird because my left jab is weak but my straight left is ok.

Comment

Yeah in martial arts i just prefer the strong lead (both rights) i don't know if it's due to different angles needed for kicks/knees i dont know, always felt more comfortable, if i go southpaw in boxing i eat right hands followed by left hooks alllll day haha so i revert to orthdox, it is what it is...

At the end of the day i think the body will simply do what the mind deems most comfortable in said situation, there's no right or wrong 'way' imo. Do what suits you and best of luck on your endeavors.

Comment

I'm left eyed and left footed so I think that's why I feel more comfortable shadowboxing in the southpaw stance lol.

Comment

Doesnt matter. What matters is picking a stance and training/improving from there.

The recommendation is to pick the stance that is most comfortable to you, as this will make the learning curve a little easier and thus you'll get further along in shorter time.
              Last edited by ~AK49~; 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

pretty sure there a fair few boxers who fight like that. Im not sure but i think cotto is left handed. Make a thread in NSB and ask what fighter fight with strong hand as there jab hand u would be surprised.

Comment

de la hoya and victor ortiz both fight with the strong hand at the front as well as cotto.

Comment

Miguel Cotto is a right handed southpaw. There's a danger to fighting in that stance that you never ever develop the power in the left hand. Your back hand is your power hand. Your front hand can be trained to be more dextrous but it's much harder to train your back hand to have power in it.

In short almost everyone who walks in the gym thinks that they will be a better southpaw because their right hand is stronger, and all of them are wrong. And the people who think they should move in between the stances are the worst of all.

Comment

Working...
                    X