No announcement yet.

Does Tarver belong with the ATG greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    If he does make it then it will be because of sentiment over his tragic death. Take away the Mosley fights and you have a very thin resume for someone with that good of a record. I'd pick Tarver over Forrest if I had to choose between them.
    I would too and I don't think either has done enough to get in.

Comment

If he had beat bhop then I'd say HOF worthy but still not ATG

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        If he does make it then it will be because of sentiment over his tragic death. Take away the Mosley fights and you have a very thin resume for someone with that good of a record. I'd pick Tarver over Forrest if I had to choose between them.

aye and a fighter that good as well. he was a very good WW but outside of mosley he did not make use of his prime.

the guy also was stopped once by mayorga

and then lost via decision in the rematch

both guys will have their names on the ballot i'd think
        i'd be pretty shocked if either gets in.

and if by ATG it's meant that a fighter is among the 100 best of all time then cotto, calderon, hatton, tarver, gatti, johnson, castillo, and forrest need not apply
        Last edited by New England; 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          And far more deserving are still waiting to be put in.

The like of; Pone Kingpetch, Tiger Jones, Eddie Booker, Cocoa Kid, Ken Overlin and many others are still waiting.

Whilst the HOF continue to induct the likes of McGugian, Pastrano and Brian Mitchell.

To then add the likes of Hatton, Cotto and Gatti. Now people are arguing Tarver. Others arguing Glen Johnson and Diego Corales.

Who's next? Ivan Calderon? Antonio Margarito? Zab Judah? Sven Ottke?

I mean, when does it stop? When will second rate good but not great fighter's stop being inducted into the HOF when actual great fighters are still waiting?

Should Hatton get in on popularity? Sure.

Gatti for excitment? Sure.

Not sure what Cotto should get in for..

But, all three of them should not get in for what they achieved. Which ultimately is what the HOF is all about. Or supposed to be.

But for the record, those 3 fighters should get in if Tarver gets in. If Tarver gets in then I don't see how almost anyone can't get in.

You make good arguments. We definitely need to set the bar higher than what's been set already.

Considering Hatton only lost to Mayweather and Pac, I can see some making an argument for him in the next 15 years.

Tarver has pretty good wins, but his losses are pretty bad also. He's really in the grey area. For every good thing you say, one could say something bad in the same sentence. As of right now, I really don't think he should get in.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            aye and a fighter that good as well. he was a very good WW but outside of mosley he did not make use of his prime.

the guy also was stopped once by mayorga

and then lost via decision in the rematch

both guys will have their names on the ballot i'd think
            i'd be pretty shocked if either gets in.

and if by ATG it's meant that a fighter is among the 100 best of all time then cotto, calderon, hatton, tarver, gatti, johnson, castillo, and forrest need not apply
            Another knock against Forrest is that he outright refused to fight lefties.

Comment

Working...
            X