No announcement yet.

Critique my current boxing workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my current boxing workout?

Hey guys! Recently got into boxing for a week and am loving it! I unfortunately haven't been able to get back into the gym this week as I'm back from vacation for school in a different city, so I haven't found a new gym. In the meanwhile I've come up with this workout plan to get my (heavy weight lifting body) into boxing shape.

A little history about my experience so far: Calves, shins, ankles would all die out quick during jump rope and running at the gym. Not to mention shoulders...whew those damn shoulders, especially the lead (which is my left hand)...

Here's what I've been doing at a regular gym (feeling very slow and heavy, so have decided to take it slow...)

The text in bold is my rep goal in the future per exercise. :

-Stretch 5 min
    -1 mile jog (I can go 3-5 miles...but my shin splints are ridiculous right now). ***6 miles***
    -Jump rope 10 min straight 30 mins
    -Shadow box 10 min straight with 3 lb dumbells 30 mins
    -50 v leg raises straight 100
    -50 roll outs with the Ab wheel 100
    -100 side 2 side abs with the 6 lb medicine ball 200
    -50 pullups straight with 40 lb support 100
    -50 pushups straight 300
    -50 burpees straight (just the standing, to squat, to sprawl, and back version, no jumping or pushups)...100
    -50 neck ups (not sure what they're really called, but I lie down flat on my back and bring my chin up to my chest, and then put my head back down to the ground again)...200
    -50 reps of jumping lunges straight 100
    -100 reps of calve raises with a 50 lb barbell. 200 with 70 lbs

All of the exercises, I attempted to do (straight through), but many of them I paused in between for rest.

I want to know what you think of this workout, and what should I add or remove that can help with boxing?

Also if you have any nutrition and diet advice...I've been doing a weight lifting routine and diet for nearly 2 years, and have gained much mass and bulk, which I feel is hindering my boxing/workouts.

I'm currently about to be 22 years old in a month, and the last time I checked I weighed around 205 lbs.

I do want to compete in amateur boxing in the future ( I hope I haven't started too late).

I apologize in advance for the overwhelming post...

Thanks!

I also want to ask for advice if someone doesn't mind setting me straight and helping me be realistic.

I'm currently in a grueling grad program and usually am in class 4 hours a day, unless it's a lab day (6 hours total)....and am also currently doing bjj. I've been doing bjj for a few months now and am a second stripe white belt. I was going to bjj 6 days a week (Mon- Sat) for an hour to an hour and a half each day...

But if I were to do boxing, I'd more than likely split days between bjj and boxing so that I'd be going to each every other day, spending about (2-3 hours per day boxing) and (1-1.5 hours doing bjj)...But splitting it, I don't think it's enough time for boxing if I'm considering to go amateur...hell, It's hard enough trying to go amateur and being in grad school...but I love it so much! I don't want to give up bjj neither due to the comradery I've built with my new friends, instructors, and the many people who would keep up with what I've been doing. But I've really entertained the idea a lot of doing amateur boxing, I really want to do this!

I'm not sure if I should keep the split or just be realistic and cut bjj out and do boxing every day for 2-3 hours

I'm really facing a dilemma of choice! I'm confused and don't know what to do!

Comment

double your work out list, get a chicken to chase around and drink 5 eggs uncooked from a glass. Then call me in the morning, do all that and you might have a shot kid.

yous gotta eat lightning....... and crap thunda!!!!!
      ............. Rockin'

Comment

I'd appreciate serious responses. I was in varsity wrestling for 4 years and consider myself to have been successful. I do know how to work out hard and put in work, just want to know if I should stop bjj and devote all my time to boxing since it's a tough sport with tough competition. BTW I know I can do this workout and will soon it's just that all of the weight I've put on from weights is hindering me. I've been doing a body builder routine for 2 years now and put on a lot of mass, I feel so slow as of now.

Comment

my routine monday-saturday:

5-9 rounds speedbag

3 rounds double end bag

5 rounds heavy bag

2-4 rounds on mitts

3-4 rounds working on defence with another person

30 minutes elliptical fast pace

30 min bike fast pace

1 hour on treadmill jogging/running mix

calisthenics for 30 minutes

im going to start sparring next week

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist King View Post
            my routine monday-saturday:

5-9 rounds speedbag

3 rounds double end bag

5 rounds heavy bag

2-4 rounds on mitts

3-4 rounds working on defence with another person

30 minutes elliptical fast pace

30 min bike fast pace

1 hour on treadmill jogging/running mix

calisthenics for 30 minutes

im going to start sparring next week
            Sounds like a great workout, thank you for sharing. How has it been coming along for you so far? And if you don't mind, how long have you been boxing?

Comment

Looks good, but is shadow boxing the only boxing related work out you're doing? Maybe I'm missing something, but are you also training in a gym sparring, punching bag, mitts, ect.?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Looks good, but is shadow boxing the only boxing related work out you're doing? Maybe I'm missing something, but are you also training in a gym sparring, punching bag, mitts, ect.?
                Yes I was, but since I moved to a different city for school I need to find a new boxing gym to continue doing the mitt/bag work.

Comment

I was just kidding earlier, sorry man.

You having wrestled for 4 years will help, muscles do have memory. If you haven't been to a gym yet just keep doing what your doing but maybe add 10-15 minutes of rope in there. You don't need the heavy weights anymore. Put light weights on and burn your muscles out in repetition, boxing is all about endurance rather than raw power.

Don't worry about throwing punches yet if your not being supervised, you will only develop bad habits. And those are the hardest to break/fix.

Just be in good shape when you do get to a gym. The workouts, if you do them right in the gym, should be enough to kick your ass. And when the workouts aren't kicking your ass anymore turn it up another level until your ass is kicked again. Then repeat that over and over until your hand is raised in pugilistic glory.............. Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    I was just kidding earlier, sorry man.

You having wrestled for 4 years will help, muscles do have memory. If you haven't been to a gym yet just keep doing what your doing but maybe add 10-15 minutes of rope in there. You don't need the heavy weights anymore. Put light weights on and burn your muscles out in repetition, boxing is all about endurance rather than raw power.

Don't worry about throwing punches yet if your not being supervised, you will only develop bad habits. And those are the hardest to break/fix.

Just be in good shape when you do get to a gym. The workouts, if you do them right in the gym, should be enough to kick your ass. And when the workouts aren't kicking your ass anymore turn it up another level until your ass is kicked again. Then repeat that over and over until your hand is raised in pugilistic glory.............. Rockin'
                    Haha, it's okay bro!!! I definitely will add more rope in there. And yeah, something about those heavy weights (I was aiming for 5 reps per set before) make you so slow! It's seeming very hard to get rid of this feeling of being immobile. I'll definitely keep up with it. I would love to continue the weights but would be unable to pay for boxing and the regular gym I'm going to so I guess for now I have to stick to calisthenics, which I hope will be sufficient. Thank you for your response I'll definitely take your advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X