Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think Game of Thrones is kind of....overrated???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
    Season 1 is a great adaptation, I attribute it to sticking to the themes of the books...Season 2 was good, but this is where every one of the subtle themes that make the source material great started to be abandoned.....some of it is logistical problems(a lot of "main" characters for conventional TV, and time where some of them don't get much to do because it wouldn't make logical sense to the state of the plot) but most of it is that the showrunners started to pander to the lowest common denominator when the show became a hit. The apologists of the show who label any critic of the show as a purist book snob will never admit that.

I would actually respect bigger storyline changes if they sticked to the character deveoplment and themes of the overall plot, but more and more, the show is just concerned with pandering, flashy moments, shock moments and viral content.

Season 1 was great
    Season 2 delivered
    Season 3 is when the show started going downhill but it still had good moments. It had the red wedding, so it was the season the show became pop culture.
    Season 4 was serviceable but this is when the pandering became unbearable to watch. The condescension of the writers is so apparent.
    Season 5 was utter crap but it had the shanking, so the "OMG shock!!" crowd don't give a **** how flawed the writing is by now.

The books are the best thing I've read though. The shock serves the story.
    But Hardhome! Hardhome is Hardhome! Hardhome!

****ing guy who wrote Lost said no one is allowed to criticize Game of Thrones because of that episode.

I mean, it was fun as hell but it wasn't even the best episode like that they have done, let alone worth forgiving everything that sucked about season 5.

Comment

Working...
    X