No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones [TV] Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I never once read anything about GoT before the death of Jon Snow, but I knew it was bull**** when I saw it. It just made no sense. Where was the show really planning on going after that. With the death of Ned Stark, that was shocking and you can tell it was real, as far as actually killing him off, that was because of all the other strong characters in the show to develop. But I mean where was GoT gonna go after Jon Snow's death? Basically a last season, a closing of the show. Anything else would have felt dragged out and just a shell of a show. Keeping Jon Snow alive, they at least have this season to make it interesting and then another season to close it out, give the fans some closure.

Although I read HBO wants to extend it to 10 seasons, of course they would, given GoT is their highest rated show and the viewership count is great. But it's really up to the writers if they feel like, creativity wise they are done. So far they're averaging 7.6 million viewers with ep1 and 2.
    HBO want that, however D. Benoiff and D.B Weiss said they could finish the story in 14/15 episodes after this season, they're getting bored, want to do other projects. Movies are coming sooner than people think.

Comment

I never once read anything about GoT before the death of Jon Snow, but I knew it was bull**** when I saw it. It just made no sense. Where was the show really planning on going after that. With the death of Ned Stark, that was shocking and you can tell it was real, as far as actually killing him off, that was because of all the other strong characters in the show to develop. But I mean where was GoT gonna go after Jon Snow's death? Basically a last season, a closing of the show. Anything else would have felt dragged out and just a shell of a show. Keeping Jon Snow alive, they at least have this season to make it interesting and then another season to close it out, give the fans some closure. .
      Yeah there was never any way Jon was going to stay dead.

Neds death made sense within the story. He was the Obi Wan Kenobi/Dumbledore/Gandalf for the Starks. He needed to die to allow the true main characters to spread their wings and face life alone. The great trick from GRRM/game of thrones was A. Treating Ned like he was a main character and B. After Ned dies, making us think that Robb and co were the main characters who were supposed to avenge Neds death. It blindsided pretty much everyone who didnt know what was going to happen.

The main characters now (which are Jon, Sansa, Danaerys, Bran, Tyrion, Arya imo) are in it for the long haul. If they die (for real) it will be a significant and meaningful event near the end game of the story. Anything else would be **** storytelling because we have invested so much time in these guys, and there has been so much training, foreshadowing and hinting about what their roles will be in the end and to finish their arcs before they have completed their journeys would be pointless

Comment

• not reading the thread but im on season 2 lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CatchweightKing View Post
          not reading the thread but im on season 2 lol
          Lord Harry kills Bianca.

Comment

Lord Harry kills Bianca.
            .. but a while back i did see a pic of jon snow laying down and heard stuff like is he dead.. so i pretty much know that.. guess thats what i get for being 5 years late

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              Yeah there was never any way Jon was going to stay dead.

Neds death made sense within the story. He was the Obi Wan Kenobi/Dumbledore/Gandalf for the Starks. He needed to die to allow the true main characters to spread their wings and face life alone. The great trick from GRRM/game of thrones was A. Treating Ned like he was a main character and B. After Ned dies, making us think that Robb and co were the main characters who were supposed to avenge Neds death. It blindsided pretty much everyone who didnt know what was going to happen.

The main characters now (which are Jon, Sansa, Danaerys, Bran, Tyrion, Arya imo) are in it for the long haul. If they die (for real) it will be a significant and meaningful event near the end game of the story. Anything else would be **** storytelling because we have invested so much time in these guys, and there has been so much training, foreshadowing and hinting about what their roles will be in the end and to finish their arcs before they have completed their journeys would be pointless
              Danerys is pointless. They need to kill her off. Those dragons seem to obey tyrion.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrushMyHair! View Post
                Danerys is pointless. They need to kill her off. Those dragons seem to obey tyrion.
                Drogon obviously obeys her in the sense he straight up saved her ass from the assassination attempt, killed the Unsullied slave master on command and saved her in Qarth (as well as the other two).

Tyrion has studied Dragons most of his life. He knows a great deal about them. Much more than the Queen of Dragons has ever been told (she's had to slowly learn by trial and error alone). But she is their mother and ultimately they instinctively love her and are connected to her. With Tyrions book knowledge, the Dragons will be controlled. Daenerys & Tyrion make an incredible duo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  The great trick from GRRM/game of thrones was A. Treating Ned like he was a main character
                  I think that was more of an HBO thing. In the books, he didn't seem like the main character. A major one, but not main character. HBO was smart because they got Sean Bean to play the role, who was the biggest name, and put his image on most all of the posters and advertisements. Brilliant job by HBO in that regard.

I agree it would have been terrible writing for Jon to die. His whole story, plus the mystery and hint dropping about his true parentage would have been completely pointless for him to die. Just because book readers, and TV show viewers, connected the dots a while ago and figured Jon would be brought back to life, doesn't mean HBO should have said **** it, let's just keep him dead to surprise people! That would totally kill off the entire story and I'm sure the "end game" Jon is essential to that story. GRRM has also stated numerous times he's not going to change anything just because fans figured out his clues. In the end, it's not about shocking people just for the sake of shocking people, it's about telling a story, an epic story at that. There is a bigger picture that some people don't see here, it's not really about the "game of thrones" obviously, it's something much, much bigger at play and ancient prophecies, etc. are apart of this.

Also, numerous people die in the books who are brought back to life. We don't really see that as much on HBO and I'm sure their reasoning, say cutting out a certain lady stoneheart for example, was to make Jon's death seem more important, otherwise it would cheapen the death so to speak. In the show even we had Beric Dondarrion and The Mountain both come back from the dead as it is. So what is dead isn't always dead and even more so in the books this is true (although I will point out, no one is ever the same after being brought back and I fully expect Jon to be a different person and a more "hardened" version of his former self).
                  Last edited by ИATAS; 05-03-2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Daenerys is the one goody that I can't get behind. Find her tiresome. Sometimes I think it would have been more interesting to keep her ****y brother alive.

I am losing track a bit but where has Robert Baratheon's bastard son gone?

Comment

• GUys just be glad the show is going still.. Grum is never releasing those two last books. Dude just blogs about the nfl draft.

Comment

Working...
                      X