Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thomas Williams: I Want Adonis Stevenson Next, I Want His Belt!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    If Stevenson wants to stay the WBC champ then he has to fight guys from their rankings. Just like Golovkin had to fight Wade.

There's no way around that unfortunately.
    Well in reality, thats not how the WBC operate. They'll happilly rank unheralded fighters at the lower end of the WBC top 15 for their champions (or promoters). But if we're pretending thats the case, theres a fair few top 10 opponents in the WBC top 15. Chilemba, Fonfara, Shabranskyy, Cleverly etc could have been made in the past 3 or 4 fights...Fonfara could be made now, if they want to 'marinate' Alvarez. Nothing excuses 4 no-hopers in a row, as much as you seem to want it to. If the PBC want to step away from the reputation it has for poor matchmaking, it should start here

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
      Well in reality, thats not how the WBC operate. They'll happilly rank unheralded fighters at the lower end of the WBC top 15 for their champions (or promoters). But if we're pretending thats the case, theres a fair few top 10 opponents in the WBC top 15. Chilemba, Fonfara, Shabranskyy, Cleverly etc could have been made in the past 3 or 4 fights...Fonfara could be made now, if they want to 'marinate' Alvarez. Nothing excuses 4 no-hopers in a row, as much as you seem to want it to. If the PBC want to step away from the reputation it has for poor matchmaking, it should start here
      Just don't act as if Edwin Rodriguez was not ranked in the top 5 of not one but two alphabet groups. By beating him Thomas Williams makes a case to take his spot.

If you want to say that only TBRB or Ring rankings matter then that's fair enough. As long as you apply that standard to all fighters not just Stevenson.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Just don't act as if Edwin Rodriguez was not ranked in the top 5 of not one but two alphabet groups. By beating him Thomas Williams makes a case to take his spot.

If you want to say that only TBRB or Ring rankings matter then that's fair enough. As long as you apply that standard to all fighters not just Stevenson.
        I cant dispute that hes ranked by sanctioning bodies, thats a fact. Its you who is acting as if this means anything - flying in the face of countless examples of how sanctioning body rankings arent based on merit at all. I wonder if you were one to complain about Wade's top 5 IBF ranking, because that would be hypocritical.

Stevenson's last 3 opponents, and seemingly his next, aren't top 10 fighters at 175 (top 10 based on merit). We should be calling Haymon and Stevenson out on this, like we should for all promoters pulling such stunts.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          I cant dispute that hes ranked by sanctioning bodies, thats a fact. Its you who is acting as if this means anything - flying in the face of countless examples of how sanctioning body rankings arent based on merit at all. I wonder if you were one to complain about Wade's top 5 IBF ranking, because that would be hypocritical.

Stevenson's last 3 opponents, and seemingly his next, aren't top 10 fighters at 175 (top 10 based on merit). We should be calling Haymon and Stevenson out on this, like we should for all promoters pulling such stunts.
          You said he wasn't top 10 which is obviously wrong since he just beat a top 5 guy. If you had qualified that by saying he wasn't top 10 based on TBRB or based on what you personally consider to be merit then I wouldn't have said anything.

Comment

Originally posted by athletic View Post
            Yvon Michel said he wants to build the Alvarez vs Stevenson fight with the networks. He wants to see Alvarez fight twice before having a shot at Stevenson in December. Alvarez is much better than the cab drivers Stevenson fought in his last few fights & he could beat Stevenson but that guy is far from elite he was almost stopped by Prieto.
            Whichi is kind of a load nonsense really, Alvarez isn't going to be built at all, it's just a way of moving Alvarez away from Stevenson. But since when did a promoter get to move a mandatory back 6-7 months?

I know Alvarez isn't elite, I saw the Prieto fight too but he looks good enough to beat Stevenson, significantly more likely than Williams imo.

Comment

Working...
            X