Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anselmo Moreno=Young Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His punch output isn't as good as Pea but his body work and shoulder slips definitely evoke and his output gets better as fights go on. Exemplary fighter.

Comment

i hate that every left-handed boxer HAS to fit a mold. it's like the baby's game where they're trying to fit the star plastic shape where the triangle should go. it won't pass.

moreno reminds people of whitaker, why? southpaw? decent jab? nice use of the ring? not much knockout power? completely out-boxing opponents? fair enough.

he doesn't remind me of whitaker because whitaker's jab, and the timing behind it, was the real secret to a lot of the things that sweet pea did. it controlled his opponent by keeping them in the positions whitaker wanted them in while also throwing off their own timing. this led to whitaker out-boxing many opponents in the center of the ring while using his legs AND upper-body movement to avoid shots.

moreno is using the ring but he's using it to get away. while giving ground, he could have actually knocked darchinyan out by setting traps and letting darchinyan wildly run into his straight left or right hook. this is an indication that his boxing mind isn't up to par even though he definitely knows how to box.

whitaker did not have much knockout power but he was always setting people up to be knocked out. it started with the jab. the jab led to left hands. the left hands led to hooks up top and persistant body work. moreno lacks that "and then i'm going to do this" mind state. he brings that good boxing ability in and his thoughts stop at "hit and not get hit".

yes, he does out-box whoever is put in front of him, and that's all you can ask of a fighter but young pernell whitaker was already placed up there with the "next thing" title right out of the olympics while moreno, AND THIS IS NO DISRESPECT, will be beaten by nonito donaire due to his unwillingness to mix that boxing ability with the will to make his opponent respect his punch.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
        Word man, you were on to Moreno over a year before I was.

Moreno is the goods and is the only guy at 118 or 122 who can beat Donaire.
        Thats why he (Moreno) turned down the fight huh???

Comment

Okay..... I think I'm going to have to take a break from Bscene if threads like this will be posted today.

Comment

Originally posted by purecyse View Post
            i hate that every left-handed boxer HAS to fit a mold. it's like the baby's game where they're trying to fit the star plastic shape where the triangle should go. it won't pass.

moreno reminds people of whitaker, why? southpaw? decent jab? nice use of the ring? not much knockout power? completely out-boxing opponents? fair enough.

he doesn't remind me of whitaker because whitaker's jab, and the timing behind it, was the real secret to a lot of the things that sweet pea did. it controlled his opponent by keeping them in the positions whitaker wanted them in while also throwing off their own timing. this led to whitaker out-boxing many opponents in the center of the ring while using his legs AND upper-body movement to avoid shots.

moreno is using the ring but he's using it to get away. while giving ground, he could have actually knocked darchinyan out by setting traps and letting darchinyan wildly run into his straight left or right hook. this is an indication that his boxing mind isn't up to par even though he definitely knows how to box.

whitaker did not have much knockout power but he was always setting people up to be knocked out. it started with the jab. the jab led to left hands. the left hands led to hooks up top and persistant body work. moreno lacks that "and then i'm going to do this" mind state. he brings that good boxing ability in and his thoughts stop at "hit and not get hit".

yes, he does out-box whoever is put in front of him, and that's all you can ask of a fighter but young pernell whitaker was already placed up there with the "next thing" title right out of the olympics while moreno, AND THIS IS NO DISRESPECT, will be beaten by nonito donaire due to his unwillingness to mix that boxing ability with the will to make his opponent respect his punch.
            Moreno used his jab very well. I could definitely see the resemblance. The jerky movements, the body work, the sharp combinations, the way he moved, he wasn't an exact copy or anything but there's a resemblance.

Comment

Def one of the best boxers today

Just because people dont know him, they trash him without ever having seen him fight

He is a mystery to the general boxing public and thats probably why he was more then a 3-1 underdog against Vic

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
                Thats why he (Moreno) turned down the fight huh???
                Yeah too bad..was it because he priced himself out? Anyways maybe they'll fight one day at a higher weight class..

Comment

Similar style, though not as good obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Moreno used his jab very well. I could definitely see the resemblance. The jerky movements, the body work, the sharp combinations, the way he moved, he wasn't an exact copy or anything but there's a resemblance.
                    Then cristian mijares AND ivan calderon also remind you of whitaker, right?

Comment

DLH said he's willing to make Mares vs. Moreno but he said not any time soon

Comment

Working...
                      X