No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Groves Eyes Kessler-Froch, Abraham-Stieglitz Winners

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Groves Eyes Kessler-Froch, Abraham-Stieglitz Winners

Super middleweight contender George Groves (16-0, 12KOs) expects big things now that he linked up with Matchroom Boxing after revealing his split with Frank Warren. Groves will return to action this Saturday against unheralded Argentinian Dario German Balmaceda over 10 rounds at Wembley Arena on Saturday before plotting a world title shot.

Groves came of age when he defeated domestic and bitter rival James DeGale via a majority decision in May 2011, while he was impressive in beating rugged veteran Glen Johnson on points in his last outing in December last year.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Abraham beats Groves imo. As limited as Abraham is, he's also underrated - only beaten by Froch and Ward.

Froch might fancy a Stieglitz bout if he beats Abraham and he gets past Kessler

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
      Abraham beats Groves imo. As limited as Abraham is, he's also underrated - only beaten by Froch and Ward.

Froch might fancy a Stieglitz bout if he beats Abraham and he gets past Kessler
      Groves has every tool in his arsenal required to beat Abraham, who's only effective against static targets.

It's obvious Hearn wants a big domestic title fight, Groves has a fanbase in london and Froch is Froch, it'll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
        Groves has every tool in his arsenal required to beat Abraham, who's only effective against static targets.

It's obvious Hearn wants a big domestic title fight, Groves has a fanbase in london and Froch is Froch, it'll happen.
        I dunno, I just think AA comes on very strong at the end of fights while Groves tends to tire. He obviously has the power to hurt fighters and you've said yourself Groves's chin isn't the best.

If Groves fights the Abraham-Stieglitz winner in September and loses, I'm not sure he'll get the Froch shot.

Comment

I dunno, I just think AA comes on very strong at the end of fights while Groves tends to tire. He obviously has the power to hurt fighters and you've said yourself Groves's chin isn't the best.

If Groves fights the Abraham-Stieglitz winner in September and loses, I'm not sure he'll get the Froch shot.
          I think Groves would beat Abraham quite handily to be honest. If you look at Abraham's three losses he was dominated all throughout those fights. Dirrell, Froch and Ward. If Groves would fight him like he fought Degale, the in-and-out style I don't think Abraham would be quick enough to keep up. Groves tends to trade a little too much when he doesn't need to, but he fought very well against Johnson and dropped him which is no easy feed. Groves > Abraham/Stieglitz but < Froch/Kessler.

Comment

I'd definatley fancy Groves to beat Steigletz

Against Abraham he'd have to box tight and avoid taking too many, but he has the added advantage of a nice amount of power to go with quick hands and feet, if he can lay into Abrahams ribcage early in the fight he can take the sting out of the tail so to speak.

I'd lean towards Groves, anyway

Comment

Groves has good talent, I am glad he will be getting some bigger fights. He has a tiring style and he does get hit sometimes, but he's got nice speed and has the footwork to make adjustments if needed. If he doesn't waste excessive energy against AA and isn't just KOed on the spot he might have enough to outpoint him - there are already blueprints on AA and Groves has shown he can stick to one.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew5550 View Post
                I think Groves would beat Abraham quite handily to be honest. If you look at Abraham's three losses he was dominated all throughout those fights. Dirrell, Froch and Ward. If Groves would fight him like he fought Degale, the in-and-out style I don't think Abraham would be quick enough to keep up. Groves tends to trade a little too much when he doesn't need to, but he fought very well against Johnson and dropped him which is no easy feed. Groves > Abraham/Stieglitz but < Froch/Kessler.
                Well Johnson tripped tbh. Groves lost the second half of the fight v DeGale and looked tired and ragged towards the end against Johnson.

Against better opponents Abraham just sits behind the guard for 9-10 rounds then moves in for the kill, I think he stops Groves late (although I'd love to be wrong).

I haven't watched enough of Stieglitz to draw any conclusions but I think I'm right in saying Froch might vacate the IBF instead of fighting Stevenson so if Stieglitz beats Abraham a title shot may interest Froch.

Comment

Well Johnson tripped tbh. Groves lost the second half of the fight v DeGale and looked tired and ragged towards the end against Johnson.

Against better opponents Abraham just sits behind the guard for 9-10 rounds then moves in for the kill, I think he stops Groves late (although I'd love to be wrong).

I haven't watched enough of Stieglitz to draw any conclusions but I think I'm right in saying Froch might vacate the IBF instead of fighting Stevenson so if Stieglitz beats Abraham a title shot may interest Froch.
                  The IBF are not adverse to unifications, so if Froch beats Kessler I believe he could get another bye to face Steigletz in a unification fight

Nobody gives a **** about Stevenson and it's not like he makes the IBF any money, if he kicks up a fuss they can just give him some paper title and call froch the super champ or something.

Alternatively they could just say we have a rule where no Pedophiles are allowed to fight for our title
                  Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 03-05-2013, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                    The IBF are not adverse to unifications, so if Froch beats Kessler I believe he could get another bye to face Steigletz in a unification fight

Nobody gives a **** about Stevenson and it's not like he makes the IBF any money, if he kicks up a fuss they can just give him some paper title and call froch the super champ or something.

Alternatively they could just say we have a rule where no Pedophiles are allowed to fight for our title
                    I believe the IBF have guaranteed the Froch v Kessler winner will vacate the belt so Stevenson can fight for a vacant title in June. So it seems regardless of who wins the Froch-Kessler fight, neither will hold a title for long.

http://www.***************.net/news/...stevenson.html

DeGale is ranked 6th by the IBF (Groves 7th), there's maybe a chance he could fight Stevenson for the vacant title but currently Rodriguez, Bute, Oosthuizen are ranked higher.
                    Last edited by Weebler I; 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X