Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful wrapping between your knuckles. I know lots do it but think of it like this. The human hand is a well crafted and designed device. When you make a fist everything fits together perfectly.
    Wrapping around this for added support and strength is fine but look how tightly you fingers fit together in a fist wrapping something inbetween them slightly separates the knuckles putting extra outward strain in the bones in the back of your hand. There is potential to blow the back of your hand.
    If your going to do it make sure it's not thick.
    You see pro wrapping with tape between the knuckles but that's to hold the gauze padding over the knuckles.

DMC
    Last edited by DMC; 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMC View Post
      Be careful wrapping between your knuckles. I know lots do it but think of it like this. The human hand is a well crafted and designed device. When you make a fist everything fits together perfectly.
      Wrapping around this for added support and strength is fine but look how tightly you fingers fit together in a fist wrapping something inbetween them slightly separates the knuckles putting extra outward strain in the bones in the back of your hand. There is potential to blow the back of your hand.
      If your going to do it make sure it's not thick.
      You see pro wrapping with tape between the knuckles but that's to hold the gauze padding over the knuckles.

DMC
      I just go once between each finger. It just gives a little extra stability, and stops my fingers and knuckles from moving.

Comment

• Spent 8 hours making this thing last night so I thought I'd share. It's a slip-bag. I'm not a real leatherworker or anything but I have some tools and I picked up $6 in scrap leather. Sewed it inside-out, then flipped it around. Used my Grant double-end bag as a model and just made a tiny version. Filled it with a combo of aquarium gravel and unpopped corn kernels to get the right weight (sand is probably better but I just used what I had on-hand). Really not hard to do and it's pretty relaxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
          Spent 8 hours making this thing last night so I thought I'd share. It's a slip-bag. I'm not a real leatherworker or anything but I have some tools and I picked up $6 in scrap leather. Sewed it inside-out, then flipped it around. Used my Grant double-end bag as a model and just made a tiny version. Filled it with a combo of aquarium gravel and unpopped corn kernels to get the right weight (sand is probably better but I just used what I had on-hand). Really not hard to do and it's pretty relaxing.
          Got my MS 600's in the mail today man. Very good wrist support and not the pillows everyone says they are, I was landing some hard shots on my trainer's mitts and body shield. Also they are nice white leather and look great. All in all, the best gloves I've ever had and I believe they were worth the 350 I paid for them.

Comment

Spent 8 hours making this thing last night so I thought I'd share. It's a slip-bag. I'm not a real leatherworker or anything but I have some tools and I picked up $6 in scrap leather. Sewed it inside-out, then flipped it around. Used my Grant double-end bag as a model and just made a tiny version. Filled it with a combo of aquarium gravel and unpopped corn kernels to get the right weight (sand is probably better but I just used what I had on-hand). Really not hard to do and it's pretty relaxing.
            Pretty damn good looking slip bag. You did a good job making it yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              Got my MS 600's in the mail today man. Very good wrist support and not the pillows everyone says they are, I was landing some hard shots on my trainer's mitts and body shield. Also they are nice white leather and look great. All in all, the best gloves I've ever had and I believe they were worth the 350 I paid for them.
              Awesome, thx for the info. I went ahead and placed an order for the MS-500 (14oz). I tried to talk myself out of it (always swore I'd never spend money like that on gloves) but I don't know how many more years I can keep beating up my hands before I get some long-term problems. $350 is a lot cheaper than getting medical treatment.
              BTW, how long did it take for them to arrive form the time you placed the order?

Originally posted by Mathiaz View Post
              Pretty damn good looking slip bag. You did a good job making it yourself.
              Thx, man.

Comment

Beautiful work! I don't see any stitch lines on the leather with the laces and eyelets, I'm assuming it's glued on or is it held on by the eyelets? I started making my own equipment as well. I post mainly on sherdog though. If you plan on making another slip bag, I'd be willing to make you a set of gloves or micro d/e bag in exchange for one of your custom slip bags.

White one is mine.

Comment

Awesome, thx for the info. I went ahead and placed an order for the MS-500 (14oz). I tried to talk myself out of it (always swore I'd never spend money like that on gloves) but I don't know how many more years I can keep beating up my hands before I get some long-term problems. $350 is a lot cheaper than getting medical treatment.
                  BTW, how long did it take for them to arrive form the time you placed the order?

Thx, man.
                  I order on Friday, March 30th and recieved them on Saturday, April 7th so about a week. You'll get an email with a tracking number a few days after they ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
                    Beautiful work! I don't see any stitch lines on the leather with the laces and eyelets, I'm assuming it's glued on or is it held on by the eyelets? I started making my own equipment as well. I post mainly on sherdog though. If you plan on making another slip bag, I'd be willing to make you a set of gloves or micro d/e bag in exchange for one of your custom slip bags.

White one is mine.

Stellar work, man! The tiny stuff is so hard to do when it comes to leather so I can really appreciate those DE bags. I like the glove a lot too. Might have to take you up on a trade sometime, if I can find the time to make another slip bag.
                    Regarding the leather under the eyelets, the eyelets themselves are the rivet-type so once they were hammered in, the leather stayed perfectly in-place. Managed to do the whole bag w/o any adhesives.

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                    I order on Friday, March 30th and recieved them on Saturday, April 7th so about a week. You'll get an email with a tracking number a few days after they ship.
                    Cool. Thx again. They sure wasted no time in billing me! Added $40 shipping from Japan (which is actually pretty reasonable). Hoping to have that tracking number soon.

Comment

Stellar work, man! The tiny stuff is so hard to do when it comes to leather so I can really appreciate those DE bags. I like the glove a lot too. Might have to take you up on a trade sometime, if I can find the time to make another slip bag.
                      Regarding the leather under the eyelets, the eyelets themselves are the rivet-type so once they were hammered in, the leather stayed perfectly in-place. Managed to do the whole bag w/o any adhesives.
                      Thank you! The hardest part for me was making the pattern. I had nothing to go off of so it was all trial and error as far as getting the right size for the racquet ball, how would I close the bag, and attach the loops. Now that I have finished it, I'm satisfied with the end product.

The next one you make should be easier, if you ever decide to make another one don't forget about me. I have my own slip bag in the works, it's based off the above d/e bag pattern. I'll post pics once I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                      X