No announcement yet.

Circling the ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circling the ring?

Hi, i've heard that southpaws tend to circle the ring anti-clockwise and orthodox fighters tend to circle clockwise.
    Im orthodox and like to move anti-clockwise, to me it feels more natural and I find it easier to catch them with my jab when im moving this way.
    I was just wondering if theres any advantages or disadvantages for an orthodox fighter going anti-clockwise? Should I be learning to move the other way?
    Personally I can't understand how a right handed fighter prefers to move left

if you're moving anti clockwise you will square up your body more making you easier to hit.. if you're not squaring off then its because you're moving slow.. which is another disadvantage

Comment

Originally posted by colly10 View Post
      Hi, i've heard that southpaws tend to circle the ring anti-clockwise and orthodox fighters tend to circle clockwise.
      Im orthodox and like to move anti-clockwise, to me it feels more natural and I find it easier to catch them with my jab when im moving this way.
      I was just wondering if theres any advantages or disadvantages for an orthodox fighter going anti-clockwise? Should I be learning to move the other way?
      Personally I can't understand how a right handed fighter prefers to move left
      You don't want to move to your left vs an orthodox fighter, because you are moving into their right hand. Try to move both ways, but when you move to the left, drop back a touch so you aren't in range of their right.

Comment

ya got it ass backwards colly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTruthIs View Post
          ya got it ass backwards colly.
          What do you mean?

Comment

the circling onto the right hand thing isn't really a danger unless your hands are really low and you're really close. personally by circling left I can square guys up and hit them hard. Never been caught with a right yet.

.. and it would be hard to land a straight right on someone circling left on you because power rights go across the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Righthandbanger View Post
              if you're moving anti clockwise you will square up your body more making you easier to hit.. if you're not squaring off then its because you're moving slow.. which is another disadvantage
              Thanks, I don't square off but I do move slowly, I see how moving quick would square me up

Originally posted by Stone Roses. View Post
              You don't want to move to your left vs an orthodox fighter, because you are moving into their right hand. Try to move both ways, but when you move to the left, drop back a touch so you aren't in range of their right.
              I move right against everyone, I do vary a bit (like i'll change my direction so im not overly predictable) but like to move right. So I should continue to do this against orthodox fighters but should always try to mainly move left against southpaws?

Comment

Originally posted by colly10 View Post
                What do you mean?
                most orthodox circle to the right, anti-clock wise. most south paws circle to the left, clockwise. it is simply more natural feeling as our instincts tell us to stay away from harm. and that would be power shots.

So when we get mixed in with say a south paw vs. ortho, as an otho we need to consider moving to our left to avoid walking into their power hand. your first post is completely backwards. not being a smart ass, just pointing it out for clarification.

Comment

there's a lot of things you can do moving to a south paw's left, unfortunately, one of them is get hammered with his left . But, if your right is better than his left, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X