Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only God Forgives (film) Amazing and brutal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might check this one out, Drive has also this surreal feel of Cronenberg & Lynch

Comment

I heard it was completely panned by critics.

Comment

i need to see this film. thanks for the reminder. i just looked for showtimes, and there's only one theater showing it, but fortunately it's not too far away. hopefully i'm able to catch it this week.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
          i need to see this film. thanks for the reminder. i just looked for showtimes, and there's only one theater showing it, but fortunately it's not too far away. hopefully i'm able to catch it this week.
          watch it on the free stream online. its not worth the price of admission IMO. drive it is not. goes long bouts without dialogue, the violence isn't anything out of the ordinary ... this was a plain miss.

pm me if you need that stream link, i got you.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
            watch it on the free stream online. its not worth the price of admission IMO. drive it is not. goes long bouts without dialogue, the violence isn't anything out of the ordinary ... this was a plain miss.

pm me if you need that stream link, i got you.
            just shot you a pm, thanks in advance.

Comment

I did see a review that kinda panned it. but i understand why. I like very slow moving films with a lot of atmosphere. But other people would be bored and find it tedious, plus over stylised. I loved the way each scene looked like a photograph. And like Lynch films, i like the strange lack of dialogue. Most others would find it annoying.
              Not for everyone.

Comment

I gave up after the first 20 minutes. I simply have no patience though.

Going to watch The World's End tomorrow. I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. Hot Fuzz wasn't for me, but the third film should be OK I hope.

Comment

What the **** was this crap I just watched? Crap dialogue makes it so you get no feeling of connection with the characters. Also way too many scenes that are unexplained or have no purpose. I would recommend skipping this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ESB_reject View Post
                    What the **** was this crap I just watched? Crap dialogue makes it so you get no feeling of connection with the characters. Also way too many scenes that are unexplained or have no purpose. I would recommend skipping this one.
                    What scenes did u think had no purpose?
                    I thought the dialogue was purposely minimal because the film tried to communicate through a more cinematic visual language. The soundtrack also did this heavily. I felt the characters were all so damaged that they couldnt communicate through normal speech. Seems like the film was about extremes of discipline and control. Violent justice being served in an extremely controlled way. The controlling abusive mother and accepting submissive son. Everything being out of control yet ordered and emotionless. Even the scenes where people are begging for their lives had their voices muted. The singing to a emotionless audience. (expression through art and performance not speech).

Comment

I was a big fan of Drive and liked it better than this. But this was something else, it was off the wall. Being around a lot of Cambodian and Thai people most of my life, the "villain " karaoke scences were something I can definitely relate too haha. Same ****ing songs. Visually it was amazing to watch, as stated the cinematography was top notch. Oddly it's a movie where you don't need a deep storyline or plot twits, it was just captivating.

I dig this sub genre of "violent art house" or whatever the **** it's referred to as. I haven't seen too many movies that can fit into this category. I guess "Funny Games" is something similar, that was probably the first kind if "violent art house " I remember seeing, which I enjoyed, and of course Drive, although not as violent.
                      Last edited by ИATAS; 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X