Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcade Talk Game Review Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sooo ive got my lvl 60 char and ive equiped him to the point that he can solo hell Soooooo i feel ive got to know the game well enough that i can give a decent review, im going to do a multi part Diablo 3 review, today i will review the things that i dont like, and tomorrow i will explain why despite the issues i have with the game I still feel it deserves a solid 9 out of 10 if not 9.5 out of 10.

Diablo 3 9/10

I have some issues with this game, first off being that i cant select my audio out device.

secondly, crafting sucks.

and thirdly skills

1. the first issue is pretty basic, diablo 2 didnt allow you to select audio out, but starcraft 2 does, so youd think diablo 3 would have this. alot of time i might want to have one ear bud in with game music playing while i watch movies on netflix. i cant do this because of the lack of audio device selection, both diablo 3 and plugins use the primary device, so the only option for me is to play diablo 3 with the sound completly off, or dont do anything else while i play diablo 3, which both options suck.

2. secondly crafting, maybe i havnt gotten far enough in the game to really experience the full blow of crafting, my smithys only lvl 9, but it really could involve alot more stuff. one area that the game seems to completly lack is altering allready crafted items. a reciep to add sockets to something, upgrade a magic to a rare, or keep the mods and re-roll that values would all be great additions to the crafting system, while right now all we have is random mods for the weapon you pick.

I Almost never craft, I sell all my crappy blues and yellows for gold and just buy what i need from the auction house, and honestly i think this is the best way to go about acquiring new equipment, in my opinion, the way crafting is now, it almost dosnt even need to be in the game, the best crafted items will never be as good as the items you can find in the end game.

about the only purpose i can see for crafting, is when you want to make a new char you can easily craft some semi decent gear for the new char, but then again at low lvls top of the line but not quite gosu gear isnt much more then 20k gold a peice buy out, and assuming you can solo hell, 20k gold is about 15 mins of work, so spend 15 min to get gold and then buy out the good low lvl equipment you want.

again, with the way crafting is set up, it dosnt serv as much value as it could twords the game, granted its better then nothing, but it just dosnt hold as much value as crafting that would allow augmentaion of allready crafted items.

3. and the last issue, skills.

so theres a left click spell, a right click spell, a 1 spell, 2 spell, 3 spell, and 4 spell. and each of these spell buttons have 3-4 diffrent spells that can be assigned to it. the problem here is the limit to customization.

say on my 1 spell slot i have frost nova, diamond armor, slow time, and teleport. so now frost nova is an awesome skill, and teleport is awesome for helping you move around alitle quicker.

but since they are both on the spell 1 button, i have to chose one or the other. while this might inheriently force people into useing a more viable spell selection is prevents customization. perhaps theres a boss that i dont need my hydras for, if i could put teleport to that spell button allowing me to streamline my walk to the boss all would be great.

for this issue, so that the noobs dont get all confused with the skills, and so the leet still have their customization, unlocking the skills at lvl 60 so you can mix and match then more freely would be great, i also think that allowing you to customize stats freely from xxxxxx merchant or something when in town at lvl 60 would also be highly welcomed to diablo 3.

yeah so thats my big list of things i dont like about diablo 3 and how i would change them, stay tuned for tomorrows big list of why diablo 3 is amazing.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-28-2012, 06:18 AM.

Comment

So its 2001 school had just started not too long ago and i had just purchased the new Diablo 2 LOD expansion pack. I was telling one of my friends about it and trying to convince him to buy it too, when he tells me the games too easy. he had allready gotten a necro to 99 on diablo 2 before the exp pack and just did not see the point in playing any more. so i went into how its all about the gear, not lvling to 99, but instead finding the best stuff you can. he retorted that there really wasnt a point, the game was too easy for a lvl 99 to really need to look for more equipment.

The game was too easy, to need to look for better gear.

flash foward to a cold october day in 2003, blizzard releases 1.10 dun dun duhhhh...the ladder leauge is created, and the ith/king jewls are removed.

but not just that, before chars would commonly use multiple skills, now blizzard added something called synergies, this would allow you to super power up skills at the cost of limiting how many spells you could use. along with changes to skills they introduced new runewords that would make many times more powerful gear.

while along with powering up the chars the also made the game many times harder then it was. monsters in hell had much much more life, did more damage, and they were immune to more things. the creation of synergies caused chars to be 1 skill focused and have problems with monsters that were immune to their skill, which with the new changes in hell your pretty much garuenteed to encounter enemies immune to your skills.

how everything worked out, it forced people to either work in multiplayer groups, or to get good, really really really good.

I belive we see the birth of diablo 3 in the 1.10 patch. Blizzard knew these games were about the items but they finnaly understoof if nothings hard enough to need the best of the best items, then why search for them?

Blizzard would go on to make part of diablo 2 even harder with Uber Tristam, but the seed had allready been sown and blizzard knew what they needed to do with diablo 3.

Welcome to my diablo 3 review.

soo just a few weeks ago after nearly 10 years of anticipation blizzard released diablo 3 and with its release came the crys of blasphemy, theres no custimazation, its not diablo 2!!!!!!! they are right, its what diablo 2 should have been.

HARD!!!!!

if you thought lvl 15 tetris was hard, you havnt played diablo 3.

its like this right, you get to the highest lvl you can get, and then you still have nearly the entire second half of the game left to beat. this does what this game is ment to do, take the focus away from lvling and place it on items, forcing you to seak out better items, get better at the game, and, with the ability to freely switch skills, try out diffrent combinations of skills for diffrent monsters.

the game even includes something called nephelem armor, once you hit lvl 60 every time you kill a magic or rare group of monsters you get nephelem armor, this gives you 15% increased chance to find magic items and 15 % increased gold find. this armor stacks up to 5 times giving you 75% more gold drop and a 75% better chance of finding magic items. allowing people to be fully equiped with the best gear they can get their hands on and still have 75/75 gf/mf, just another incentive to convince people its about the gear.

but thats not all it does, any one familiar with diablo 2 knows about baal runs chaos runs, countess runs, meph runs, pindel runs, ect. you pop in kill 1 boss, leave game, create a new one and do it again. with the nehelem armor, you want to pop in take some time killing a few magic/rare groups to get your armor up to 75/75 and then go and kill your mark, or even take out a few diffrent mini bosses in stead of one taking full advantage of the nephelm armor.

ahhh lets see, ive talked so much so far about how important items are, i guess its time to get into them. now any one thats played diablo 2 to some extent should know that the best items in the game are rare or magic. granted some uniques and sets are good but you cant get a +2 sorc skills 20% faster cast rate, 30 to stats, 15 to all res set or unique helm. just the same as 3/20/20's and 290 psn charms 40/15 jewls jelwers armor of the whale, uped eth fools phase with 200 ias and 2 socs, this kind of stuff is the rarest of the rare and much better then any unique or set option.

this value in the magic and rare items carried right over and is even more prevalant in diablo 3, and it works out great.

the game has 2 diffrent things to do with items, you can sell them straight for gold or you can salvage them into items for crafting.

these 2 things combined will have you picking up every rare and magic item you come across, and with the fact that magics and rares can be many times better then uniques and sets, picking them up and selling them forces you to look at them too. often times you might fill your inventory with gold fodder and end up keeping 2 or 3 magic items for the auction house.

Ahhhhh the auction house, probly one of the most important additions an action RPG could have, a centralized location to search for the exact item im looking for. god only know how many times ive typed ISO and spammed the channels and trade room with items im looking for. now i can just do a search and find exactally what im looking for.

the auction house does alot to help the flow of items in and out, doing that much more to facilitate a need not just for good gear, but to find good gear.

stay tunned for tomorrow when i get into the game play itself

also im planning on reviewing each of the chars you can pick, but i only have a wizzard. if any one has something other then a wiz and wants to do a review on their char class, thad be cool.
      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-29-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Mass effect
        Halo
        Elder scrolls.
        Gears of War. Should shoot myself for forgetting.

My top 4 atg game franchises ever.
        Last edited by Bushbaby; 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Sully needs a gf, and if he has one... that sucks for her.

Red dead redemption is one of my all time favs.

Grand theft Auto 5 is going to be the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post

Red dead redemption is one of my all time favs.

Grand theft Auto 5 is going to be the GOAT.
            You think so? I thought 4 was pretty disappointing imo.

Never played red dead.

Comment

Originally posted by dj Pepe View Post

Never played red dead.
              I love every one of them... love the concept of doing whatever the hell I want.

Go buy Red Dead.

Today.

Do it.

Probably 18 bucks used.

Comment

Silent Hill downpour

The story starts very good but quickly turns silly and degenerates into lame

the gameplay is entertaining for a while but it gets old fast and without any story to motivate u, it becomes boring
                But what this game lacks the most is being scary which is what silent hill is all about

5 out of 10 only for the good combat mecahnics and entertaining yet not scary monsters

Comment

Originally posted by dj Pepe View Post

Never played red dead.
                  I can't believe how many people were disappointed with 4. It's easily my favorite. And you should play Red Dead as soon as possible. It's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    sooo ive got my lvl 60 char and ive equiped him to the point that he can solo hell Soooooo i feel ive got to know the game well enough that i can give a decent review, im going to do a multi part Diablo 3 review, today i will review the things that i dont like, and tomorrow i will explain why despite the issues i have with the game I still feel it deserves a solid 9 out of 10 if not 9.5 out of 10.

Diablo 3 9/10

I have some issues with this game, first off being that i cant select my audio out device.

secondly, crafting sucks.

and thirdly skills

1. the first issue is pretty basic, diablo 2 didnt allow you to select audio out, but starcraft 2 does, so youd think diablo 3 would have this. alot of time i might want to have one ear bud in with game music playing while i watch movies on netflix. i cant do this because of the lack of audio device selection, both diablo 3 and plugins use the primary device, so the only option for me is to play diablo 3 with the sound completly off, or dont do anything else while i play diablo 3, which both options suck.

2. secondly crafting, maybe i havnt gotten far enough in the game to really experience the full blow of crafting, my smithys only lvl 9, but it really could involve alot more stuff. one area that the game seems to completly lack is altering allready crafted items. a reciep to add sockets to something, upgrade a magic to a rare, or keep the mods and re-roll that values would all be great additions to the crafting system, while right now all we have is random mods for the weapon you pick.

I Almost never craft, I sell all my crappy blues and yellows for gold and just buy what i need from the auction house, and honestly i think this is the best way to go about acquiring new equipment, in my opinion, the way crafting is now, it almost dosnt even need to be in the game, the best crafted items will never be as good as the items you can find in the end game.

about the only purpose i can see for crafting, is when you want to make a new char you can easily craft some semi decent gear for the new char, but then again at low lvls top of the line but not quite gosu gear isnt much more then 20k gold a peice buy out, and assuming you can solo hell, 20k gold is about 15 mins of work, so spend 15 min to get gold and then buy out the good low lvl equipment you want.

again, with the way crafting is set up, it dosnt serv as much value as it could twords the game, granted its better then nothing, but it just dosnt hold as much value as crafting that would allow augmentaion of allready crafted items.

3. and the last issue, skills.

so theres a left click spell, a right click spell, a 1 spell, 2 spell, 3 spell, and 4 spell. and each of these spell buttons have 3-4 diffrent spells that can be assigned to it. the problem here is the limit to customization.

say on my 1 spell slot i have frost nova, diamond armor, slow time, and teleport. so now frost nova is an awesome skill, and teleport is awesome for helping you move around alitle quicker.

but since they are both on the spell 1 button, i have to chose one or the other. while this might inheriently force people into useing a more viable spell selection is prevents customization. perhaps theres a boss that i dont need my hydras for, if i could put teleport to that spell button allowing me to streamline my walk to the boss all would be great.

for this issue, so that the noobs dont get all confused with the skills, and so the leet still have their customization, unlocking the skills at lvl 60 so you can mix and match then more freely would be great, i also think that allowing you to customize stats freely from xxxxxx merchant or something when in town at lvl 60 would also be highly welcomed to diablo 3.

yeah so thats my big list of things i dont like about diablo 3 and how i would change them, stay tuned for tomorrows big list of why diablo 3 is amazing.
                    This is a misconception, I can't believe you made it to level 60 without realizing (makes the game much slower and harder). Go to options, and check "elective skills". This allows you to put whatever skill you want on whatever slot.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                      Ether asked me to do a diablo 3 review, bite me.

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
                      This is a misconception, I can't believe you made it to level 60 without realizing (makes the game much slower and harder). Go to options, and check "elective skills". This allows you to put whatever skill you want on whatever slot.
                      awesome, now if only the realms wernt down.

Comment

Working...
                      X